Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Closed Thread

Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Whopper

92 5.0 is on a distinguished road
Default Custom tunes CONFUSED

I ordered my Gryphon a few days ago and anxiously waiting for it to arrive. Reading some posts here I am now confused since I got only the canned tunes. it seems like everyone has custom tunes and there trucks are mostly stock. It seems from a few posts the canned tunes are really noticeable and when talking to PHP they said custom tunes aren't worth it on a stock truck? Also it is a bit irritating to see they are offering a deal now when 2 days ago I ordered one and did not get the deal?
Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Well I basically have a stock truck, and I have the canned tunes now. I can definitely say they have made a big difference for my truck. But I did order a custom tune (87 performance) just so that I can run the 87 octane rather than 91 or better. I have seen on other forums where people, with basically stock trucks like the custome tunes better. I believe they say the shift patterns get better as with a couple other factors...someone else that knows more than me can chime in on that factor. But thats just my experience with it so far
Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road

It will be a matter of preference IMO for the custom or canned on your truck if it's stock. I am sure if I am wrong someone will correct me but the stock tunes are a very generalized setup for varying fuels, altitudes, driving habits, etc so I would prefer a custom one even if my truck were stock. There will not be the large benefit like if it was modded, but it would still be better.

Having said that, Corey and Bill will not try and sell you something just to make some money like other tuners and they make that point very clear everywhere they post. If you really want one they will give it you, but they will not push it on you.
Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

twintips_17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 5.0 View Post
Also it is a bit irritating to see they are offering a deal now when 2 days ago I ordered one and did not get the deal?
What deal is this?

SUPERcrew
AF1, EDGE, and EFANS with Magnaflow Exhast SISO.
Expy Console and Rear Seat Swap! Eagle 16's with 285-75/16 ST's
Gryphon Tuner soon to have custom tunes by PHP!
Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Whopper

Go on the PHP website under News and you can see the specials going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintips_17 View Post
What deal is this?
Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 06:04 PM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

I know that with custom tunes Bill can further increase timing and dial in your transmission shift points. My truck is basically stock and it runs better on the custom tunes.

Ty

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

Bill's custom tunes are better than the canned tunes.....Period!
whether your truck has mods or not!
Custom tunes
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 10:31 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 5.0 View Post
I ordered my Gryphon a few days ago and anxiously waiting for it to arrive. Reading some posts here I am now confused since I got only the canned tunes. it seems like everyone has custom tunes and there trucks are mostly stock. It seems from a few posts the canned tunes are really noticeable and when talking to PHP they said custom tunes aren't worth it on a stock truck? Also it is a bit irritating to see they are offering a deal now when 2 days ago I ordered one and did not get the deal?
Back to your original post: The Gryphon is delivered with canned tunes. That way, you get to play with it while your custom tunes are being built. Once you decide what you REALLY want for custom tuning (and I doubt PHP told you custom tuning was not worth it on a stock truck) then, you tell them your HEX code (very important) and tell them EXACTLY what your goals are (which can be quite different from the "one size fits all" quality of a canned tune.

As far as the price changing, would you have been upset if, two days after you ordered, there was a price increase on the product and you didn't get it for the higher price? Bill and Corey decide to do things like "specials" and then pass those benefits on to customers during the time the special is in effect. I got my unit and tunes without the benefit of ANY special, as did most of us. Do you think Corey and Bill should go back and give us all refunds? You simply cannot run a business that way, as much as all of us would like it.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Let the Mud come!!!

twintips_17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
As far as the price changing, would you have been upset if, two days after you ordered, there was a price increase on the product and you didn't get it for the higher price? Bill and Corey decide to do things like "specials" and then pass those benefits on to customers during the time the special is in effect. I got my unit and tunes without the benefit of ANY special, as did most of us. Do you think Corey and Bill should go back and give us all refunds? You simply cannot run a business that way, as much as all of us would like it.

- Jack
Well said
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Whopper

I agree with you but having bought many parts for my cars usually a place will tell you about upcoming specials they are gonna have in the near future. And as far as a product going up in price every time this came up I as a customer was notified about the future increase so I could take advantage of the price at that time. Also by the way PHP did say a custom tune was not needed for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Back to your original post: The Gryphon is delivered with canned tunes. That way, you get to play with it while your custom tunes are being built. Once you decide what you REALLY want for custom tuning (and I doubt PHP told you custom tuning was not worth it on a stock truck) then, you tell them your HEX code (very important) and tell them EXACTLY what your goals are (which can be quite different from the "one size fits all" quality of a canned tune.

- Jack
Closed Thread