Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, December 1st, 2009, 08:17 AM
Double Whopper

dave-m is on a distinguished road
Question What Is Drone

sorry to jump in on someone else's thread, but I keep reading about "drone"

what exactly is drone?
Old Tue, December 1st, 2009, 09:51 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Drone is a noise that is created by the aftermarket cold air intake due to its construction and design and the way the air flows in it. The drone noise is from air resonating in the intake tube as it flows or is pulled in from the vacuum the motor creates. At some rpm intervals and to some people the drone is a very irritating noise=constant humming. This drone can be a real pain especially if you are on a long trip, trust me it gets real annoying.
I like others thought it was cool at first but after 6 months and some DTC codes, I removed mine and went back to the stock intake.
For the most part the noise occurs in the plastic style ones with the tappered tube design. It does occur in the metal tube ones also but not as often as the plastic ones.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, December 1st, 2009, 09:53 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Dave, as you see, I've moved your post to the Gryphon section and out of "Support". It's no biggie, but we try to keep the support threads specific to one problem and on topic.

"Drone" is an unpleasant sound that seems to be related to installing some aftermarket intakes on the engine. It's probably a resonant frequency that is hit at certain RPMs which is triggered by turbulence in the airstream. If you look at an OEM intake, you'll see those funny looking rectangular shapes along the sides of the intake, which are called "Helmholtz resonators". They were put there to dampen out the "drone" frequency by creating opposing pressure waves whenever drone starts to happen.

Bill can adjust a tune to get rid of an intake drone usually. (But, I can't help but think this may actually be a sub-optimal solution - this is my opinion only. I feel the aftermarket intake should have been designed so that it doesn't induce drone in the first place.)

Edit: I see Lars and I were posting at the same time. Glad I got the explanation right!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, December 1st, 2009, 09:56 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I'll add this:
The drone noise can be tuned out by Bill but there are a lot of factors on weather or not this can happen.

Old Tue, December 1st, 2009, 12:06 PM
Double Whopper

so dyi intake mod doesn't exhibit any of this, because of the stock design?

I'm still trying to figure out if there are any noticeable gains for the effort, even if the effort is quite minimal.
Old Tue, December 1st, 2009, 12:46 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

The DIY intake mod allows for more air at higher rpms. As long as you don't modify the OEM tube and take off the silencers there should be no droning noise some have done this and reported some noise when silencers were removed.
For $8-$15 the cost and effort is minimal compared to an aftermarket CAI and the gains you would get with that.

Old Tue, December 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'll add to Lars' reply -

I did the mod, I think I've gotten improved performance (I'm sure it's helped my fuel economy, maybe by at least 0.5mpg), and there's NO drone. I didn't cut off the resonators.

As Lars mentioned, it cost me less than $10.

- Jack
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

so much for the good ol days when the air cleaner sat right on top of the engine and carb... it wasn't even and issue back then.....
I would try lining the intake with a sheet of rubber or some spray on liquid electrical tape , closed cell foam or something like that and see if it helps eliminate the drone. Something to dampen/absorb the vibration
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
so much for the good ol days when the air cleaner sat right on top of the engine and carb... it wasn't even and issue back then.....
yeah, and the dyi mod was flipping the lid upside down!
Old Fri, December 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-m View Post
yeah, and the dyi mod was flipping the lid upside down!
...With a double tall air filter! If you have any reservations, check this picture:

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!