Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Wanna go fast

fordkindaguy is on a distinguished road

sooo did taking the hypertech off do anything lol, i didnt see if you did or didnt
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 10:32 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I'm not Lars, but I take back what I said about the tow tune. The gearing you've got on your truck has made towing your loads easy, even with the big tires.

I think all you need is an 87 performance/economy tune. I think you'll probably see better mileage and performance compared to the Hypertech.

- Jack
X2 ^^^^what he said^^^^

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 10:34 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordkindaguy View Post
sooo did taking the hypertech off do anything lol, i didnt see if you did or didnt
We will need to know this also!

Thanx

Lars

Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Bacon King

RobbyMartin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordkindaguy View Post
I hope this will give us all an answer...About 4 weeks back I took the battery out for well over an hour to have it tested because I was having a different issue and I re-installed a new one. Being that the battery was out for over an hour, wouldn't that reset the computer and put the Hypertech tune back to stock? If yes, then the truck still had the lag/pause issue. If not, then I have to literally remove the tune and give it a shot. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it anyway but the Hypertech takes an eternity to program.

How long does it take to re-program with the Gryphon?

Last edited by RobbyMartin; Thu, September 17th, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMartin View Post
I hope this will give us all an answer...About 4 weeks back I took the battery out for well over an hour to have it tested because I was having a different issue and I re-installed a new one. Being that the battery was out for over an hour, wouldn't that reset the computer and put the Hypertech tune back to stock? If not, then I have to literally remove the tune and give it a shot. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it anyway but the Hypertech takes an eternity to program. How long does it take to re-program with the Gryphon?
Ok
From my understanding of tuners/programmers is this.
Once the pcm is flashed with a new tune it cannot be removed unless reflashed.
I assume the Hypertech has the same proceedure as the gryphon.
So by removing the battery, the pcm's memory has not been altered due to the pcm's flash memory.
However the Keep Alive Memory resets and sends a p1000 code and the only way to get rid of this is by the drive cycle reset. This takes 50-100 miles.

The gryphon only takes about 5-10 min to program initially for canned tunes with custom options. The canned tunes are kinda similar to the hypertech tunes, they fit a lot of trucks. But when you get one with custom tunes only about 2 minutes.
Custom tunes are for you and your truck only. They don't work on other trucks that are the same as yours.

Lars

Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Bacon King

RobbyMartin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Ok
From my understanding of tuners/programmers is this.
Once the pcm is flashed with a new tune it cannot be removed unless reflashed.
I assume the Hypertech has the same proceedure as the gryphon.
So by removing the battery, the pcm's memory has not been altered due to the pcm's flash memory.
However the Keep Alive Memory resets and sends a p1000 code and the only way to get rid of this is by the drive cycle reset. This takes 50-100 miles.

The gryphon only takes about 5-10 min to program initially. But when you get one with custom tunes only about 2 minutes.

Lars

OK, so here's my next question. If I remove the Hypertech program manually and there is no pause/lag by no longer having it installed, will I be dealing with the same issue if I get the Gryphon? I will go crazy if I get the Gryphon and I still have the same issue with pause/lag.
Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMartin View Post
OK, so here's my next question. If I remove the Hypertech program manually and there is no pause/lag by no longer having it installed, will I be dealing with the same issue if I get the Gryphon? I will go crazy if I get the Gryphon and I still have the same issue with pause/lag.
There is a slight possiblitiy with the canned tunes due to they are for a lot of trucks.
But as of yet I have not heard of or read any throttle lag issues with a gryphon canned tunes on your year of truck.

Canned tunes come with the gryphon same as the edge evo's. Custom tunes are written by php and loaded into the gryphon via pegasus online at your house.

The custom tunes that Bill writes hardly ever need any touch ups.

Lars

Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Read this also:
http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...read.php?t=288

Lars

Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 10:12 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

And Robby, I want to emphasize something that my not have been clear. When you PROGRAM the PCM with any device, you change the stored program in it. Disconnecting the battery does not have ANY effect on that stored program. Once the program is in the PCM, it's there till you rewrite it with another programming session. To put the PCM back to stock, you have to do it with the Hypertech, in fact you MUST do this before you try to program it with any different device, such as a Gryphon, Edge, X3 or whatever. If you don't set the PCM back to stock first, you will damage it by attempting to impress a new program on to it.

So, set your PCM to stock and see if it still has the throttle lag. If there is no lag at stock, why not try calling Hypertech to see if they have any ideas? They have an obligation to support you - make them do it.

As far as the Gryphon curing this problem, we can only tell you our experience. There are NO promises though. Remember the disclaimer: "Your mileage may vary". IF you get custom tunes in the Gryphon though, I know Bill can make adjustments to minimize or eliminate any problem areas.

I also want to correct something Lars said. I think he meant to say that the initial program only takes about 10-15 seconds to load, not minutes. Subsequent tunes don't take any longer either unless you activate the Custom Options menu - then it WILL take a couple minutes.

But, before you try a Gryphon, let Hypertech try to work your problem! I know Bill and Corey would give you the same advice. They don't like to see anyone spend money on things they don't need anymore than you do.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 10:37 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Jack thanks for the correction but what I was refering to is this.

When initially programming the custom options menu with canned tunes that this feature of the gryphon may take some time. Like with tire size and gear ratio and or shift points/firmness if so needed.

Lars