Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Orion Reflash System for Navistar

Orion Reflash System for Navistar Power Hungry Performance is the first in the industry to provide custom tuning
for the 1998 to 2007 Navistar Medium Duty platform!

If you have any questions or would like more information on Orion, please post here.

Old Sat, September 11th, 2021, 03:25 PM
Whopper

Veedubfreak86 is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 4700 T444e 188' WB

Hello All

First off Thank you BILL !!!! for allowing me to be part of this

This is my is my international 4700 and what will be my build thread, basic info

1998 4700LP
7.3 T444E
6+ transmission (spicer ES066-7B)
PW/AC/CC I use it for pulling a 30' toy hauler

First off, full disclosure I was sent the programmer via the BETA test group, i actually received it a few months ago but due to work (active duty mil, medical field) I have been delayed on any updates till now.

the last week I was gathering data for reference then this morning I spent about 6hr getting everything set up and did a bunch of testing and documentation I started off with a 20 mile warm up drive in stock configuration.
I used an app on my phone called "race stats" for 0-60 and 1/4 mile data, I did every pull on the exact same spot after passing either 60mpg or 1/4 mile depending on tune i drove another 4 miles till i could turn aroundand headed back to the starting point, I would then come to a stop turn off the the truck and update the tune/power level, let it idle for ~5 min then start again. Every power level got a min of 3 pulls then I would take the best info and add it to the spread sheet.

with the 250HP level I believe I encountered clutch slip as i noticed the RPM would jump but the truck was not speeding up proportionally, with traffic increasing I called it a day and headed home to make this post, I will do some checking and will get back to gathering data after I preform some maintenance.

I know there is some goofy info on the Exel spread sheet i think my clutch maybe slipping and i have a bunch of parts waiting to be installed, more to come as I have time

Last edited by Veedubfreak86; Sat, September 11th, 2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old Mon, September 13th, 2021, 10:13 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Glad to hear you've finally had time to get this going. I'm sure you have been itching to see the differences in the tuning and how it would affect the truck performance.

In regards to your data, that is excellent information! Very nice improvement on the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, especially since the EGTs are holding 1100 Deg. 22 PSI on the stock turbo is a good number as well. Overall, everything actually looks really good and right in line with the results we'd expect. Only question I have that I didn't see already answered was the weight of the vehicle. Don't know if you have a scale sheet handy, but that would be useful as well.

It does sound like you might have reached the limits of the clutch. It happens. Several good options out there for heavy duty clutches and pressure plates. I'm fairly certain that South Bend Clutch can get something together for you that will be able to handle the torque output.

Looking forward to some fuel economy information as you have time!

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, September 13th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Whopper

Bill

I did attempt to weight my truck last week 😞 the two closest to me on thw hwy are almost never manned and the read outs are in the shacks, I did stop by one rock quarry but they run scale less, the closest CAT certified scale is over an hour away.

I was going to go after work today but a bit worried about the clutch till I can get under and adjust it before hunting down an upgrade aftermarket one. As for now I de tuned it to lvl 1 and I am going to replace the LPOP, water pump and oil cooler this week so I can get the truck on the road for more testing as I had an oil leak at the cooler and not sure when the truck was last serviced.

Once I move in Jan I will not have the ability to do any maintenance so I want to get the big ticket this out of the way now
Old Fri, September 17th, 2021, 06:19 AM
Rattletrap driver

Absolution is on a distinguished road

The last time I looked at Eaton 1.75 clutch's the weakest was a single disk 600ftlb model. The next one above that was a 800ft lb dual disk. I also highly doubt the 6+ was using the single disk unless someone used it as a replacement. Granted the clutch may just be aged.

I think I have some clutch slippage on the 275hp setting on mine but I was thinking it may have been the oil and diesel that drained down though the valley or the truck defueling as it only does it past 2700.

Last edited by Absolution; Fri, September 17th, 2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old Fri, September 17th, 2021, 11:43 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
The last time I looked at Eaton 1.75 clutch's the weakest was a single disk 600ftlb model. The next one above that was a 800ft lb dual disk. I also highly doubt the 6+ was using the single disk unless someone used it as a replacement. Granted the clutch may just be aged.

I think I have some clutch slippage on the 275hp setting on mine but I was thinking it may have been the oil and diesel that drained down though the valley or the truck defueling as it only does it past 2700.
I believe mine is just well used and may have been contaminated, there was a pretty bad fuel leak from the fuel bowl when I bought it and the valley would just fill up and drain down the back of the motor 😒

I doing a bunch of maintenance this weekend and will see if I can adjust the clutch a bit once I get a second person over to help, new parts and upgrade pics to come
Old Sat, September 18th, 2021, 07:19 AM
Rattletrap driver

Absolution is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubfreak86 View Post
I believe mine is just well used and may have been contaminated, there was a pretty bad fuel leak from the fuel bowl when I bought it and the valley would just fill up and drain down the back of the motor 😒

I doing a bunch of maintenance this weekend and will see if I can adjust the clutch a bit once I get a second person over to help, new parts and upgrade pics to come
Awesome man, I can't wait to see!