Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
texas offroading

cody994x4 is on a distinguished road
Default gryphon did not come up when i started my truck

ok ive had my gryphon for a month or so and its been working like a charm.

today i started my truck and as im driving up the street i notice my screen nvr came on... so im driving and making sure the obdII is plugged all the way in, nothing....

when i get to the front of my neighboorhood i pulled over and shut off the truck. removed the gryph from the pod. unplugged the cable on the back of the programmer, plugged it back in and it instantly came on and gave me the 'pcm not responding turn key on, and press enter' screen

its working like normal now but what the hell?

i dont wanna be removing it from the pod all the time because the pod will come loose...
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody994x4 View Post
ok ive had my gryphon for a month or so and its been working like a charm.

today i started my truck and as im driving up the street i notice my screen nvr came on... so im driving and making sure the obdII is plugged all the way in, nothing....

when i get to the front of my neighboorhood i pulled over and shut off the truck. removed the gryph from the pod. unplugged the cable on the back of the programmer, plugged it back in and it instantly came on and gave me the 'pcm not responding turn key on, and press enter' screen

its working like normal now but what the hell?

i dont wanna be removing it from the pod all the time because the pod will come loose...
You COULD be seeing the first signs of a weak battery - a load test might be a good idea.

In the future though, to reset the Gryphon, just leave the ignition key ON and then unplug the Gryphon at the OBDII port. Wait about 5 seconds and plug it back in.

Remember, the ignition needs to be in the ON position any time you plug in the Gryphon, and, low battery voltage (possibly during vehicle starting due to a weak battery) will kill the "keep alive" memory supply to the Gryphon.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
texas offroading

thankx jack...yea im gonna switch one of the pids to batt voltage ltr today...my battery is from like 06 so yeah.

how would i perform a load test?
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

A lot of auto parts stores do load testing for free.
Call around.

Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 01:13 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody994x4 View Post
thankx jack...yea im gonna switch one of the pids to batt voltage ltr today...my battery is from like 06 so yeah.

how would i perform a load test?
You probably can't do a "load test" - it takes special equipment. A store like Autozone will generally do one for you for free though. (You don't HAVE to buy a battery from them if your battery fails). My guess is, your battery IS weak.

Monitoring the voltage on the Gryphon will tell you a lot about your charging system, but not much about the battery. If you see readings of 13.9-14.1V when driving, the charging system is fine. I monitor my battery voltage all the time for this reason. A big electrical load will drive the charging voltage lower. When I tow with two additional batteries in my trailer to keep charged and an electric refrigerator, I regularly see 13.6-13.8V.

- Jack
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 01:16 PM
texas offroading

ok ill do that. probably just gonna get a battery too cause in a month or so ill be seeing 100degree temps daily.

the roads are filled w dead cars down here in the summer months.

a load test would test voltage or charge w a given load(accesories running) right?
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 05:56 PM
texas offroading

when i disconnect my battery...do i need to do anything w the gryphon, keep it installed or unplug it, anything like that?
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 06:28 PM
PHP Groupie

I'm VERY glad you asked that question!

PLEASE, disconnect your Gryphon before you disconnect the battery! Leave the Gryphon disconnected as the new battery is being installed. Voltage transients that occur when a battery is reconnected (or when a vehicle is jump-started) can fry the electronics in a pre-04 Gryphon's OBDII cord and, they don't do the post 04 Gryphon's internal electronics any good either. Finally, when everything is hooked up, turn the ignition to ON without starting the engine, and then reconnect your Gryphon to the OBDII port.

I wouldn't have the Gryphon connected during any load test on the battery either.

In other words, anything that can put big fluctuations on the DC voltage in the vehicle can harm electronics like the Gryphon, probably sound equipment, and maybe some other things.

This information needs to be included in the FAQs on PHP's website and we need to make it pretty obvious here too. I'll see what I can do to make that happen.

A load test essentially measures the battery's voltage with a high load (like starting an engine) applied. It really needs to be applied to a battery that has "rested" for a while after any recent charge, so that the "surface charge" has had time to bleed off.

- Jack
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
PHP Groupie

OK, I've just added a new "sticky" in the FAQ section of this forum that warns people about leaving the Gryphon connected when large power surges can occur on the vehicle's circuits.

Because of the keep alive memory feed, the only way to isolate the Gryphon is to physically unplug it (or pull the circuit breaker that powers the cigarette lighter and OBDII port).

- Jack
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 10:20 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Here's the link Jack is talking about:
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/faqs-...w-battery.html

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.