Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, July 10th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Old Goat

Paw Paw is on a distinguished road
Question Newly installed custom tunes

I got my custom tunes on 6/14/2010 and installed them as soon as I got home that day . Just minutes after installing my tunes , I got bad news that my sister had passed away . Things for me have been pretty hectic since then.
I am running it in 87 performance tune .
The first thing I noticed was the better throttle responce and shifting and an increase in gas mileage . Been doing a lot of driving back and forth to the mountains of Va. from the Triad in NC.
Just took a trip today and noticed that my mileage had fell back down and that performance was sluggish.
While driving real slow through a parking lot the trans. seemed to be in neutral position - like it was between gears. Feed it some fuel and it would go back in gear and go . Let off and it seemed like it was coasting again.
Anyone have any idea what may be going on ?
Thanks in advance
PAW PAW
Old Sat, July 10th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Cant help you with the issues, but Sorry for your loss. God bless.
Old Sun, July 11th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Scientist

BigSur will become famous soon enoughBigSur will become famous soon enough

Paw Paw, sorry about your loss man. Take care.

Hopefully, 88 Racing, J&J...or another moderator will see this and get you on your way. It bugs me when people have issues with the custom tunes..considering I have mine on the way as well. Take it easy man.
Old Sun, July 11th, 2010, 10:42 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'm very sorry to hear about your Sister too, Paw Paw. Not much any of us can do except say that.

I can't help you with the "sluggish" feeling, Possibly you're driving the truck "gently" and it's learned your driving style?

If you let off on the gas, the TC will unlock to save on gas (prevents engine braking). I've always felt my truck "rolls and rolls" when I let up on the gas pedal. It coasts much better than the Nissan I had before. I suspect that's what you noticed in the parking lot.

As to the loss in gas mileage, no ideas at all. Mine varies quite a bit and I can never figure out why. I just know that over time, I average about 15 mpg when I'm not towing. The truck seems to be VERY sensitive to any headwind condition and hill climbs.

I've adopted the spreadsheet approach that I think shotgun talked about in an earlier thread. The spreadsheet is a free download, but it's copyrighted, so I can't just set my version up for download. I modified it quite a bit though, so it keeps track of my towing performance and my non-towing performance separately. I've found it to be very helpful in estimating the travel costs of any trip I have to make.

- Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spreadsheet.jpg (55.0 KB, 6 views)

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, July 11th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Old Goat

Thanks for all the replys. The loss of my sister was unexpected . She was only 59.
Jack and janet - Around 15 to 15.5 mpg is what I get also . I am an old school kind of driver, don't like to use the horsepower until I need it. I really try to keep it feathered back and use a light foot .
Would cleaning the MAF sensor help - I have not done that yet?
THANKS
PAW PAW
Old Mon, July 12th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Whopper

PZX_2002 is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear about your loss
Old Mon, July 12th, 2010, 10:13 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'm sure cleaning the MAF sensor wouldn't hurt, but I don't know if it will help either. Here's a link to a "How To" on MAF sensor cleaning: How to Clean MAF-2005 5.4 - F150online Forums

If you have time on your hands, I guess it's worth a try.

- Jack
Old Mon, July 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Maybe it is bad gas? One time I filled somewhere that had really poor gas and I could barely make it down the road 10-20 minutes after and had some of the same simptoms you are. I programmed back to stock and it improved a little bit but was not great. Ran that tank down and put is some better gas, drove it a bit and then reprogrammed. Then everything was pretty much back to normal.
Old Wed, July 14th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Scientist

BigSur will become famous soon enoughBigSur will become famous soon enough

How's it coming Paw Paw? Has this problem been resolved or have you made any progress?
Old Thu, July 15th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Old Goat

Sorry that it took so long to reply Big Sur. I have been busy at work and at home. I have been trying to cleanup the 05 Escape that I inherited from my sisters estate .
Good news - The last tank of fuel that I ran through netted me 16.75 MPG.