Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, October 2nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
mad cow member

Rustler is on a distinguished road
Default Custom tune issues?

I started my own post so I wouldn't hijack the other gentleman's post with the same problem.

I've been running the canned level 2 since I received the Gryphon. On my truck this wasn't near the improvement over stock others mention though there was a slight improvement. This made me quite anxious to get my custom tune in hope there was more performance to come.

I received my custom 87 performance tune 9/30.
I drove it 85 miles thinking to myself something aint right here. The new tune feels like stock performance with perfect shifting. I programed it to the level 2 canned tune, canned level 2 is more powerful feeling with so so shifting.
I tried stock VS the new custom 87 tune, there appears to be no difference in performance though the shifting is night and day better using the custom tune. I re installed the custom tune due to the vast improvement in shifting. So far 140+ miles on the custom tune.

I am quite disappointed with the custom tune.

Hopefully there is a remedy.

Level 1 custom 87 perf.
Level 2 canned tow.
Level 3 canned 93 perf.

Last edited by Rustler; Tue, October 13th, 2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old Fri, October 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Whopper

ROtested is on a distinguished road

I appreciate you calling me a gentleman as I frequently get called worse on a daily basis!!! I notice many, if not all of the same things as you, particularly, the power on canned level 2 feels noticeably higher than the Custom 87 Perf I have.

Since originally posting I have gone through a lot of fuel testing the various tunes, hoping that I was doing something wrong and the canned level 2 is still far and away the best I have noticed so far. The stock and Custom 87 Perf tune shifting on my truck are both very lethargic. On both, I can punch it, run it up there in speed in 2nd gear, let off the gas before it shifts to third to coast and drink almost a whole cup of coffee, while I am coasting, before the truck finishes shifting down to OD!

On the canned level 2 the shifting is very firm out of the box, so i was running a -5 on all shift firmness settings which worked very well for me. While playing around today with the tunes, Custom 87 perf required a +10 on the shift firmness to be in the ball park of the canned level 2 on -10 shift firmness, but, canned level 2 feels noticeably more powerful.
Old Sat, October 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Well I definitely have to say something doesnt sound right with yalls tunes. The best advice I can offer is try to get in touch with php so hopefully yall can get this worked out.
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 03:31 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

John,

As I mentioned to Greg, try running the truck in "stock" mode for an hour or so and then retry the performance program. Sometimes the PCM learns a bit far in one direction and needs some time to settle back in to a "normal" type of mode.

If this doesn't work, I'm certainly happy to revisit the calibration and make any adjustments necessary.

Keep me posted.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
mad cow member

I appreciate the suggestion. I'll give it another try.

I have to say I don't understand. Before I made the post or e-mailed Corey I did try stock for about an hour and 40 miles then the custom tune for about the same for back to back comparison. Besides the shifting aspect there seriously appears to be no other performance difference. Any time I reload canned level 2 I can feel a slight performance improvement though the shifting suffers verses what the custom tune provides.
I now have about 160 miles on the custom tune.

I'm in the Seattle area on business right now, it will have to wait till the end of the week.

Thanks, John
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

John,

If you've already tried the stock method with no results, then I'll definitely look into the files. I just wanted to make sure we eliminated a PCM learning issue before going any further into it.

I'll get a look at the calibrations in the next day or two and will have an update available by the end of the week for you. Just check the [Update Status] in Pegasus for a later release date (after 10/05) for the calibration on the server.

Take care and have a safe trip.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 10:57 PM
mad cow member

Bill,
I do not mind at all waiting until I get back and trying the stock method you suggest again. I didn't time the first attempt, could've been 45 - 50 minutes or an hour and 5 minutes.
I know there was 4 - 6 key cycles (start stop) in the time frame. Almost all light throttle in town driving, one 4 mile hi way trip each tune.

If I didn't already mention it, the shifting on the custom tune is supreme, almost to good to be true.
So good in fact I am thinking about another custom tune something like "tow / haul" if the shifting would be similar.

Thank you for your time, John.

Old Tue, October 6th, 2009, 11:43 AM

John,

I think you've probably driven it long enough at stock to have cleared the settings out. We'll go ahead and get a look at the files again and see if there's anything I can adjust to improve the performance.

Let me know if you'd like a Tow program. The shifting will be relatively identical with the exception that the low to mid throttle shifts are a couple MPH higher to help keep RPMs up in the torque curve.

I'll give you a shout when I get the files ready.

Take care.

(678) 890-1110

Old Mon, October 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Whopper Junior

TX_Hunter is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested to know what yall find out on this. I noticed the exact same thing with my custom tunes; I didn't get the "jaw dropping WOW" that most seem to describe (very similar experience to what Rustler has described). I cannot "feel" any additional power over the canned tunes and maybe very slight power improvement over stock. My expectations could have been unrealistic and I have not gotten on a dyno, which I intended to do but never got around to.

There is certainly improvement over stock as far as shifting (much more responsive), and I could have gotten the power gains that should be expected with custom tunes, but definitely not what I anticipated as far as the seat of the pants feel goes.

I'll try going back to stock again, but I did that months ago and didn't notice a difference after reloading the custom tunes.

I have a 2008 5.4 SCREW 4x4 with 3.73 gears and HEX: RXDG6B4. What do yall have?

Last edited by TX_Hunter; Mon, October 12th, 2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old Mon, October 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM
mad cow member

My hex is RXDE5E2.

I think there are some differences in our custom tune experience.
If my experience can help others with their concerns I'm all for it.

I am not bashing Bill or the product when I say there is absolutely no difference with my trucks performance other than the shifting between stock and my custom 87 perf tune.
I feel sure anyone could drive my truck and come to the same conclusion rapidly.
Canned level 2 has a noticeable performance gain over my custom tune.