Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > The Starting Point > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Welcome to the Power Hungry Performance Forum. We're glad that you're here! Start a new thread and tell us a little about yourself!

PLEASE POST TECHNICAL and/or SUPPORT QUESTIONS in the APPROPRIATE SECTION of the FORUM

Closed Thread

Old Wed, May 11th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Whopper Junior

PettyOfficer Rob is on a distinguished road
Default New and have questions

What's up? I am doing some research for a friend of mine as he is not very car/internet savvy, not to say I'm an expert, but he asked me to look into a programmer for his 2008 F-150, I am a proud owner of a 2010 Toyota Tundra and our aftermarket is very young and doesn't have a wide selection of programmers or tuners as of yet so I am only familiar with what is known for our vehicles. Also, I'm slightly tired of searching forums so I'll apologize now for asking questions I'm sure have been answered, but a link/search word/answer would be greatly appreciated.
So to just get the questions....

1) What information is required from the end user to get a custom tune and how is that information used to write a specific program for that driver/truck? Understanding already location, driving style, octane usage, towing weight/frequency, and mods are obvious?

2) How is the tune considered "custom" without using a dyno and knowing the how the truck is currently performing? Again understanding no two trucks are identical in mechanical or electrical properties.

3) Are the $30 custom tow/performance tunes listed on the website really just canned tunes for specific situations such as towing?

Thank you for your assistance in advance and patients for my lack of searching.

~Rob
Old Wed, May 11th, 2011, 01:43 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyOfficer Rob View Post
What's up? I am doing some research for a friend of mine as he is not very car/internet savvy, not to say I'm an expert, but he asked me to look into a programmer for his 2008 F-150, I am a proud owner of a 2010 Toyota Tundra and our aftermarket is very young and doesn't have a wide selection of programmers or tuners as of yet so I am only familiar with what is known for our vehicles. Also, I'm slightly tired of searching forums so I'll apologize now for asking questions I'm sure have been answered, but a link/search word/answer would be greatly appreciated.
So to just get the questions....

1) What information is required from the end user to get a custom tune and how is that information used to write a specific program for that driver/truck? Understanding already location, driving style, octane usage, towing weight/frequency, and mods are obvious?

2) How is the tune considered "custom" without using a dyno and knowing the how the truck is currently performing? Again understanding no two trucks are identical in mechanical or electrical properties.

3) Are the $30 custom tow/performance tunes listed on the website really just canned tunes for specific situations such as towing?

Thank you for your assistance in advance and patients for my lack of searching.

~Rob
1) HEX code calibration is used for the writing of the custom tunes.

2) The custom tunes are not spot on but are pretty close to a live tune done on a dyno. If further revisions are needed datalogging can be used to get it closer.

3) No they use the truck's hex code. Canned tunes cover a multitude of hex codes.

4) Start a new thread if more questions are needing to be answered in the appropriate sub forum. This sub forum is to welcome new people and not to answer questions...thank-you.

5) Welcome.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Closed Thread