Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Towing

Towing This forum is specifically for questions, comments, or ideas about towing with your vehicle.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue, August 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Native American Redneck

TXWolf is on a distinguished road
First Trip with Travel Trailer Complete!

We took our new 36' travel trailer to the Coast (Aransas Pass) last week, and we survived! I had always thought that the highway from San Antonio to Aransas Pass was pretty level ... but I found out differently when pulling a lot of weight behind the truck. LOL We kept the speed between 65 and 70 for most of the 2.5 hours to our destination. The temps stayed in acceptable levels, although the TFT got up to 239 at one point.

One question ... how long is it OK drive with the RPMs at 4000 - 4200?

I'm really impressed with how the truck handled. Although I KNEW I had the trailer behind me, everything felt good. I never felt like I didn't have enough power to pull the load.

On a side note, if any of you guys ever get to the "Big Shell" area of the beach ... When you're driving in the sand, and you realize that there are no longer any other tire tracks around you ... it's time to turn around! Big Shell is a 4x4 area only, and I've gone down part of the way before. But with the truck loaded up with the wife, daughter, daughters boyfriend and our 2 grandkids ... at one point I was just creeping along, trying to find better traction. Everyone but me were freaking out , but I knew that the truck would make it out of there. I am SO glad that it's lifted, with 35" baja tires on it, though! LOL

Can't wait for our next trip ... We're going to Pedernales Falls up in the Texas Hill Country in a couple of weeks. There are a LOT more hills to test the truck, but I'm sure it's going to do fine.

2008 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4
5.4L - 4.88 Gears
PHP Gryphon Programmer - BDS 6" Lift - Magnaflow Dual Exhaust - JLT Ram Air Intake - 20" Pacer Ridgeline Rims with 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs Tires - Westin BullBar with Driving Lights