Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, March 26th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Double Whopper

MileHigh04SCREW is on a distinguished road
Default Extremely Hard WOT Shift 1-2

Good morning from Colorado!

My Gryphon arrived yesterday afternoon with custom 87-tow and custom 91-perf. Very very excited. I have a 2004 FX4 SuperCrew with a SIDO Magnaflow cat-back, Volant CAI, 325-60-18 Nittos and a fresh full synthetic Mobile 1 Oil and Tranny Fluid flush.

I loaded Level 3 (91 perf) and at wide open throttle, I have a violent shift between 1 and 2. Really, really violent. Scary.

Has anyone had any issues like this before? 2-3 shifts fine, 3-4 shifts fine. Normal driving shifts great. Just when I floor it, the transmission slams into second gear.

Thanks for any help! I will probably give Bill a call later this afternoon. Cheers!
Old Fri, March 26th, 2010, 04:42 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I think Bill is going to have to modify your 91 octane tune a bit. I would NOT do any WOT runs until he does.

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, April 21st, 2010, 09:58 PM
Whopper

Jeb is on a distinguished road

mine sorta does the same...not really violent, but definitely rougher than the other shifts. tomorrow i will adjust the shift pressure setting and see what happens
Old Wed, April 21st, 2010, 10:23 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb View Post
mine sorta does the same...not really violent, but definitely rougher than the other shifts. tomorrow i will adjust the shift pressure setting and see what happens
User profile missing info. Please complete.
Phone number.
Hex code.
Gryphon SN.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, April 21st, 2010, 10:27 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHigh04SCREW View Post
Good morning from Colorado!

My Gryphon arrived yesterday afternoon with custom 87-tow and custom 91-perf. Very very excited. I have a 2004 FX4 SuperCrew with a SIDO Magnaflow cat-back, Volant CAI, 325-60-18 Nittos and a fresh full synthetic Mobile 1 Oil and Tranny Fluid flush.

I loaded Level 3 (91 perf) and at wide open throttle, I have a violent shift between 1 and 2. Really, really violent. Scary.

Has anyone had any issues like this before? 2-3 shifts fine, 3-4 shifts fine. Normal driving shifts great. Just when I floor it, the transmission slams into second gear.

Thanks for any help! I will probably give Bill a call later this afternoon. Cheers!
User profile missing phone number in case Bill needs to call you.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, April 23rd, 2010, 02:40 PM
Double Whopper

Profile updated. I know PHP is closed today, if you talk to Bill, could you have him call me? I'm currently running level 2 with a softer shift-firmness (-8) between 1 and 2. Still not perfect.

Ive also noticed level 2 with 87 octane is a quicker 0-60 time than level 3 (with 91) and seemingly give better gas mileage and power. I drive 80 miles a day so I've had a lot of time to tinker.

Thanks for any help, in advance.
Old Fri, April 23rd, 2010, 04:09 PM
texas offroading

cody994x4 is on a distinguished road

milehigh, hows things in colorado? i cant wait to go up elk hunting next fall....

your not the 1st person ive heard claim better results from lvl2(87) over the lvl3(91+) tune.

i havent even tried out my lvl3 yet because i like the lvl2 so much, and ive had my gryph for abt a month or a little longer. I dont plan on using the lvl3 much at all either because as far as im concerned the benefits will be offset with the additional price of higher octance gas.

as for mileage, idk what ur getting but im getting 16.5+mpg rt now with 33's, trying to get up to 17. the best i ever got w my 5.4 was 19mpg, before i got bigger tires so i think my mileage is just right for my setup. i also drive 80miles a day so i thought id throw that in for comparison(but you are at a much higher elev. than me). on the lvl3 i think that some gas could actually be wasted. dumping to much into the injectors to fully utilize. but that's just a suspicion. Bill would be able to provide a btr explanation on what the lvl3 tune consists of.

that brings us to the tranny issues. You will see btr mileage from lvl2 over lvl3 because the lvl2 tow tune has lower shift points. ive been noticing that running lvl2 im almost always in 4th gear, thus getting higher IMPG's. this is more beneficial for mileage than a tune that lets you 'wrap-out' each gear further/longer,with higher shift points. the principal here is to get into higher gears(numerically) faster, and increase mileage.

as for your hard shifting, unfortunately idk what to say. if u have the shift firmness adjusted all the way down and your still having violent WOT shifts, let off or ease back a bit and let that baby shift. then get bk on it.

i do this sometimes to get into higher gear faster instead of letting the tranny 'hang' for longer. By the same token, there are times when my truck loses speed/power gng up long hills. i dont worry abt this...the alternative is a quicker downshift and less mpgs. this is why i like the canned lvl 2 tow tune so much. when i need it power is def. there, in the meantime im getting good economy.

hope this helps and keep us posted on the hard shifting issue. peace
Old Mon, May 3rd, 2010, 03:50 PM
Double Whopper

Default Update for Hard Shifts

Haven't been running my truck hard. Waiting for a call back from PHP. I've played with the Shift-Firmness setting and, right now, I have it set for +4 (1-2) , +4 (2-3) , +4 (3-4) and the truck shifts perfect under normal driving conditions on my custom tow setting #2 AND custom performance setting #3. However, any aggressive throttle from gear 1 to gear 2, I can start to feel the hard shift condition so I haven't opened it up in over a month now...

Am I the only one experiencing this? I was wondering if it might have to do with the RPMs at which the transmission is set to shift. If the truck is still pulling hard at higher RPMs, would the transmission shift harder based on engine load? What if you let the truck shift at higher RPMs, when you can feel the power start to cut out, would this allow for a lighter shift based on engine load?

Are these even related?

I really want to get this figured out. I have a buddy with a tacoma talking trash.
Old Mon, May 3rd, 2010, 05:00 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Ok, I just left a post on the moderator forum.

Just tell your buddy that its better to not be able to accelerate than to not be able to stop.
Old Tue, May 4th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Double Whopper

@Longshot , message delivered. He's pissed HAHAHA.

Thanks for the moderator msg delivery. I'd really like to get this figured out... driving me crazy...