Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Tue, December 15th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough
Default Heres a thought on passing emission test

Most of us on here are aware that by returning the vehicle to stock will trigger a P1000 code. If the vehicle gets inspected with the code it will most likely fail. I know that this code will come up if you check for it with the programmer. So heres the question, could you use the programmer to clear the code before getting it inspected? Any thoughts or experiences?
Old Tue, December 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
Most of us on here are aware that by returning the vehicle to stock will trigger a P1000 code. If the vehicle gets inspected with the code it will most likely fail. I know that this code will come up if you check for it with the programmer. So heres the question, could you use the programmer to clear the code before getting it inspected? Any thoughts or experiences?
Nope.
Can't be done.
Its a drivablity code.
The vehicle must be operated for x amount of miles(approx 50) at y amount of speed(varying) in order for the code to clear.
Not unless you have access to ford scanning equipment and software and I don't know if that would even work?

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, December 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Forum Predator

I've also noticed that the code doesn't come up on the gryphon when programming from stock (with P1000) to my custom tune. Could it be that the gryphon isn't picking it up?
Old Tue, December 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I believe that it only happens when you go back to stock. The pcm is at a relearning point and needs to build its files again which unfortunately the gryphon doesn't store. Going to a custom or a canned tune the first time it may happen but after that the gryphon has built files and stored them so that code won't come up then.

Old Thu, December 17th, 2009, 07:48 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
I've also noticed that the code doesn't come up on the gryphon when programming from stock (with P1000) to my custom tune. Could it be that the gryphon isn't picking it up?
Um... there are reasons for that which should be fairly obvious.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, December 21st, 2009, 06:59 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Being able to clear the P1000 code after returning to stock would kind of negate the whole "learning strategy" thing Ford built into the PCM so that it would perform the way Ford wants (to pass emissions "exhaust gas sniffers").

But, I'm going to stick my neck out and "voice" what I think is the "obvious" point that Bill mentioned, since I think it's kind of subtle. If the P1000 code was set when loading a custom (or canned tune), the PCM would try to bring everything (emissions-wise) back to the stock tune, and it would do that in about 50 miles of driving, negating much of the custom tune.

There are several posters over on f150online who don't see this possibility and have said they don't think custom tunes are worth anything because of the drive cycle, relearn thing. I think Bill has just shown you how they are wrong.

And, I hadn't thought much about this until reading this thread. Thanks for educating an old dog, Bill!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, December 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

One thing about drive cycles and relearn procedures is that they handle a relatively specific set of driving conditions... Mainly "closed loop" light to mid throttle fuel curves. Open loop fuel, timing curves, camshaft curves, shifting (points, not pressure), torque management and other functions are not controlled by the relearn procedures. Timing is controlled by knock sensors, but that's another story.

Much of the perceptible performance gains under hard acceleration come from timing curve and open loop fuel curve adjustments. Much of the fuel economy gains come from timing curve adjustments and changes to shifting strategies. At cruise, there is little fuel change outside of correcting for CAI discrepancies. This is why we can make more power and still be able to pass emissions test with ease. Modest timing curve adjustments can lead to reasonable improvements in fuel economy, but it also weighs heavily on fuel quality and octane. I have seen as much as a 2-3 MPG difference in fuel economy depending on which brand of gas I run or which station I fill up from. Performance difference is negligible though, at least for the old butt-dyno. The Expy always runs like a scalded dog.

Now... don't ya feel smarter?

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, December 21st, 2009, 08:05 PM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

Yes I do. Everyday I lurk, I learn more good stuff.

Problem is I have limited HDD space so pretty soon I'm going to have to clean the old bionic hard drive...

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Mon, December 21st, 2009, 09:33 PM
Forum Predator

Hehe, I was wondering where my last post was going to make this thread end up. Now I'm glad I did go out on a limb with a very basic question. I think we got some useful information for what would have been a deadly question on many of the other forums. I like having the "best case scenario" play out here, even when I had already suspected the answer.

Haha shotgun, I know what its like. If I clicked "submit" to every reply I almost made, I would probably have a thousand posts.
Old Mon, December 21st, 2009, 10:27 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Hehe, I was wondering where my last post was going to make this thread end up. Now I'm glad I did go out on a limb with a very basic question. I think we got some useful information for what would have been a deadly question on many of the other forums. I like having the "best case scenario" play out here, even when I had already suspected the answer.

Haha shotgun, I know what its like. If I clicked "submit" to every reply I almost made, I would probably have a thousand posts.
That definately would have been a "Fresh Meat" post in some of the other forums.
But in some of the other forums and their mile long threads it's hard to learn and utilize anything due to the thread crappers and other BS antics that goes on in them.
Good thing we are NICE around here!

Closed Thread