Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, March 9th, 2010, 05:26 PM
texas offroading

cody994x4 is on a distinguished road
Default general programming question

my question is does power programming increase compression?

im wanting to get my order in soon, i got a tune up done last week and within 150-200miles i had a plug go out. new plug/coil pack on cyl. #7...luckily threads were intact and im up and running good agn. just dont want it to happen agn.

also, can a bad coil cause a plug to go out?
Old Tue, March 9th, 2010, 06:04 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody994x4 View Post
my question is does power programming increase compression?

im wanting to get my order in soon, i got a tune up done last week and within 150-200miles i had a plug go out. new plug/coil pack on cyl. #7...luckily threads were intact and im up and running good agn. just dont want it to happen agn.

also, can a bad coil cause a plug to go out?
No - power programming has no effect on compression. That is governed by the difference between the cylinder's volume at the bottom of the piston stroke and the volume at the top of the stroke. Poor ring seal or valves that don't quite close properly will, of course, reduce the compression you actually achieve.

I wouldn't think a bad coil could cause plug failure. I suppose a coil that generated a "weak" spark might allow the plug to foul, since you might not get a good ignition source. A more likely cause of plug failure is some hamfist mechanic putting force on it that cracks the porcelain during installation. Some kind of manufacturing defect in the plug could contribute to failure too.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, March 10th, 2010, 07:31 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If the shop who did the tune up did not torque the plugs to 28# ft lbs dry(no antisieze) then its their fault and they should eat any damage.
JMHO

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, March 10th, 2010, 12:57 PM
texas offroading

yeah im starting to think that might have been what happened, although these motors are known for blowing plugs mine didnt blow the plug out of the head, the plug just blew then damaged the coil. the shop replaced it in no time and for free, as they should have.
now it actually feels like there is more power than when i got it back the first time.

thankx for the explanation jack,
looks like all systems are go to order my gryphon, just wanted to get my motor in btr shape first.

thankx
Old Wed, March 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

There are only 3 brands of plugs that work without problems in your year of truck.
They are:
Motorcraft
Ngk
Denso
Just thought I'd let you know that.

Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, March 10th, 2010, 05:31 PM
texas offroading

good to know, glad i went with oe replacements. thankx for the info though