Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, August 17th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Whopper

usnavyad is on a distinguished road
Default did cody really steer people away read this

hey all ive been a loyal fan and tuned many trucks with php then i got a new truck and finally caught cody and wait till you read this conversation also posted on powerstroke.org and psn

Welcome! You have entered [The PHP Lounge] at 7:20 am
7:20 am: Welcome to the PHP Chatroom! Please post your question and someone will respond as quickly as possible. Thank you.
[usnavyad] 7:20 am: cody ur on here
[usnavyad] 7:21 am: u guys are extreamly hard to get a hold of
[Cody B.] 7:22 am: That's the general consensus.
[Cody B.] 7:22 am: But then again, I only work for PHP 5 hours a week.
[usnavyad] 7:24 am: yeah thats what bill told me when i met him ur out of cali right
[Cody B.] 7:24 am: May as well be CA....Montana actually.
[usnavyad] 7:24 am: maybe u can give me a hand with some questions i need to talk to bill but its hard to reach him
[usnavyad] 7:26 am: ?
[Cody B.] 7:27 am: I doubt I'll be much help (limited resources) but I'll try.
[Cody B.] 7:27 am: You'll have to be patient....I'm on the phone all the time and can't type and talk really well.
[usnavyad] 7:28 am: ok heres what happened last year i drove to bills house he was leaving for a event in fl but he tuned a ts 6 pos for me ..... now im buying a 6.0l right now and im thinking bout the cts with php tunes
[Cody B.] 7:29 am: Stock 6.0L?
[usnavyad] 7:30 am: no arps black onyx head gaskets ab intake mbrb exhuast
[usnavyad] 7:30 am: im leaving the injectors and turbo alone for right now
[Cody B.] 7:30 am: So a stock truck..... No need to buy any custom tuning yet.
[usnavyad] 7:31 am: yeah not the canned cts tunes
[usnavyad] 7:31 am: ur talking bout like dyno tuning
[Cody B.] 7:32 am: No, there's zero need for anything Bill would do. The calibrations that come on the CS/CTS platform would work fine for your truck at the current time. You'd basically be spending a lot more money on calibrations that won't perform any better than what comes on the device.
[usnavyad] 7:33 am: so ur telling me that stock canned cts tunes are no different then bills tunes at all
[usnavyad] 7:33 am: ur telline me the egts are the same and all paramters are the same
[Cody B.] 7:33 am: No, I'm saying that you won't notice much difference between the two. There's only so much that a stock 6.0L will do.
[usnavyad] 7:34 am: i agree i know for a fact that canned tunes do not have the same pids as customs
[Cody B.] 7:34 am: PIDS have nothing to do with tuning.
[usnavyad] 7:35 am: the readings im saying
[Cody B.] 7:35 am: Bill has no control over what is displayed on the datastream. That's all Edge.
[usnavyad] 7:35 am: i understand that but has alot to do with injection timing
[usnavyad] 7:36 am: which can change the egts and other paramters
[Cody B.] 7:36 am: Edge modifies the EXACT SAME tuning maps that Bill does.
[Cody B.] 7:37 am: They always have.
[Cody B.] 7:37 am: Now, the extent of the changes is different obviously.
[usnavyad] 7:37 am: so bill and edge have the same exact tunes so no need to buy bills tunes
[Cody B.] 7:37 am: You're getting ahead of me.
[usnavyad] 7:37 am: from what ur telling me
[Cody B.] 7:37 am: READ...Now, the extent of the changes is different obviously.
[usnavyad] 7:38 am: i agree
[usnavyad] 7:39 am: so whats the difference between a gryphoon cts and an edge cts
[Cody B.] 7:39 am: But it's not enough to notice a difference on an 8000 lb. truck. If Edge has a calibration marketed as a 60 horsepower calibration, it's going to make 60 additional horsepower. If Bill has a 60 horsepower calibration, it's going to make 60 additional horsepower.
[usnavyad] 7:40 am: i agree
[usnavyad] 7:40 am: so if i buy ur gryphon cts and and edge cts there the same thing?
[Cody B.] 7:41 am: Nothing different. Once you order and receive calibrations from Bill, the splash screen (start-up screen) is different and the calibrations are different. If you order the device from PHP, you'll pay $30 per PHP calibration. If you order an Edge CS from another vendor, you'll pay $60 per PHP calibration. The device, should you buy it from us, will ship from Edge anyway.
[usnavyad] 7:43 am: how are the cals different from edge bill has tuned everyone of my trucks and now im hearing from u theres no point i dont understand this
[usnavyad] 7:47 am: ?
[Cody B.] 7:48 am: Why waste money on something that's not going to give you a real definite improvement? It's like installing aftermarket intake setups or a larger exhaust. It really doesn't do anything but at least you can say you have it. You already know how hard it is to get in touch with Bill. Heck, just visit the forum and find all of the "where are my tunes?" threads. I'm trying to save you money and frustration because in the grand scheme of things, until you actually modify something on the truck that requires "custom" tuning, you'll be hard pressed to really feel a huge difference between Bill's standard 6.0L calibrations and Edge's CS/CTS programming that already comes on the device. While the tuning is different, it HAS to be fairly similar to attain the desired results....there are only so many ways to skin a cat so-to-speak. It's no different with the 7.3L trucks. There is no magic between different tuning companies when dealing with a stock truck....comparing the tuning between different vendors, it will surprise you just how similar they all are.
[usnavyad] 7:53 am: i know with the 7.3l when i went and spoke with bill he explained how they are very different and as well as the history behind dp tuners and all of that how come on canned bullydog tunes and bill tunes is there there such a difference in fuel quanitys and timing of the injerctors fireing and also y are u seeing different factors ont he egts and boost on canned vs bills tunes on the same truck i can put a bully tune and a php tune on the same truck and my solus will give me 2 different read out of timing and the paramter reads outs as well as fuel economy
[Cody B.] 7:54 am: Do what makes you happy. I don't think there's a scan tool out there that will show "timing" on a 7.3L though.
[usnavyad] 7:55 am: so steer away from php got ya ill be sure to post this up on the fourms on how php really works i was a loyal php fan up unitl this thanks for all of ur help cody
[Cody B.] 7:56 am: I'm not trying to scare you.
Old Fri, August 17th, 2012, 10:10 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I'm honest to a fault and nothing I said was at all demeaning or derogatory.
Old Fri, August 17th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Whopper

Default agreed

nothing was deeming accept the fact that u and edge have the same product and there is no point to buy bills tunes people love bills tunes in the industry and now his right hand man trys to tell people not to buy them hmmm
Old Fri, August 17th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Whopper

Default hopefully i can talk to bill and resolve this

hopfully bill will see this post and maybe clear this up
Old Fri, August 17th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I'll give it a try,

When you have a stock vehicle, custom tunes are not a necessity.

Vehicles do not roll out of the factory at 100% of their potential. Manufacturers realized a long time ago that if they scaled down the peak potential, less parts broke, less warranty claims, less lost money. Canned tunes give you what power was left out on stock vehicles. Once you make a modification that the canned tunes were not written to handle, THEN you need custom tuning. For diesels this includes things like larger injectors, turbos, etc. Parameters that the computer has no knowledge of being modified. I'll use larger injectors as an example. The custom tuning is needed because the computer does not know that even though the injector fired for the appropriate amount of time, an excess of fuel is leaving the exhaust. The computer thinks it is doing everything correctly when in reality it is spraying way too much fuel. Custom tuning corrects the miscalculation.

If you have kids you've seen this first hand. Whenever a child has a major growth spurt they are suddenly clumsy because they don't realize it takes more muscle control to remain agile. They eventually build muscle and learn better control. Your truck's computer is not able to grow and learn so it must be retaught, otherwise it remains dangerously clumsy.

At the moment, PHP does not have any canned tunes for the CS and CTS so they are using the Edge tunes. The advantage of buying from PHP is that if you do make a modification that requires custom tuning,

If Bill chimes in, I know that he'll be siding with Cody because I've seen him do it for a few years now. Him and Corey would rather tell someone to save their money than screw them out of it. Just one more reason they are so highly respected. Cody was trying to save you money, time and disappointment but instead you took offense to his advice and jumped to incorrect conclusions.
Old Fri, August 17th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Whopper

Enrique is on a distinguished road

I got where he was coming from through all that. Just out of curiosity what were you trying to accomplish by posting this?
Old Fri, August 24th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Double Whopper

superdutynick is on a distinguished road

I have a 6.0 with similar mod's, and Bill's tunes do run better with less smoke than the canned tunes from edge.

2005 F250 Lariat; CC LB; 6.0 PSD; Edge CTS w/ PHP custom tunes; EGR Delete; ARP Studs; 4" Turbo Back (no Kitty) w/ 4" straight thru muffler; Rev-X; FICM programmer