Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip

Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip The Power Hungry Performance Hydra Multi-Position Chip is the industry standard for the 7.3L!

Redesigned from the ground up, the Hydra Chip provides Ford owners with a feature packed,
high quality, and low cost alternative to other existing modules on the market today.

Old Thu, August 26th, 2021, 12:30 AM
Whopper Junior

Getslideways is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone Ever Build a Custom Selector Switch Panel? (LCD, TFT, etc?)

I was wondering if anyone knew how the input and outputs from the remote position switch selector worked based on each position? (the box where you choose what current tune position you would like to run)

I was wondering if anyone had built a custom tune selector interface to communicate with the PCM chip? or that used information from the selector switch to trigger a secondary custom programed readout.

(so essentially something that replaces the selector box entirely, or just piggy backs off it to provide an additional visual representation)

It could be fun to make a little visual representation for each tune position on a 2x16 LCD or TFT display instead of trying to remember what each number correlates too. I just wasn't sure if anyone had made something like this for themselves, or knew of how the communication between the selector box and the chip worked so that the right outputs for each position could be programmed.

It could be a much more complicated communication system in which case maybe this idea may not be worth pursuing, but figured I would see if anyone had dabbled with such an idea before or had any knowledge to share on the subject.

Just two fun potential examples for a 65hp tow tune animation and a 65hp street tune animation on a 2x16 lcd i whipped up real quick:

Or even just simple text:

Attached Images
File Type: gif Sample Animation2.gif (11.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: png 140-EXTREME.png (2.1 KB, 19 views)
Old Thu, August 26th, 2021, 12:30 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Welcome! Glad to have you with us.

In regards to your question, I'll answer as best as I can.

The controller output for the Hydra is passive. It's literally just two 7 Seg. LEDs and two buttons. The chip provides an output through the ribbon cable to control the LEDs and display the position, but is otherwise unaffected if the controller is removed. The two buttons provide a signal to either switch up or down. It's simply a pull-down from 3.3V. All very basic and simple stuff.

With that said, I will add that we did look at doing custom digital displays using 2x16 LCD modules. We even built a few prototypes. These would allow for a more intuitive representation of the tune in each position based on a description that would be written into the header of each position. This is very similar to what you're describing (bouncy truck aside).

Doing some small amount of market research (mostly through dealers), we ended up deciding that there wasn't enough of a market to make it worthwhile and it simply wouldn't have been cost effective to make a small quantity of the devices. Plus, it would have required a separate firmware to handle the active IO to the controller as well as a new SKU, different packaging, a change to HydraFlash, and few other little things.

We did offer another option for a while, which was called Cyclops. It replaced (or worked in conjunction with) the two button controller and allowed for someone to change their position using bluetooth on their Android. It even gave them the option for custom labels so that they could define what each position was. Ultimately, these didn't do as well as expected and they were discontinued after the first batch was depleted.

Given the relatively simple nature of the output signals to the switch, it wouldn't be difficult build a device with a built-in decoder to determine what position the chip is in and then use that to control an LCD display. However, it would have to be completely self-contained and self-powered as the signal lines from the chip would not handle the current required to run an LCD. Still, it would be cool to see someone build an accessory like that and we would be more than happy to provide the signal line information to anyone that wants to attempt it.

I hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, August 26th, 2021, 10:52 PM
Whopper Junior

Getslideways is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Still, it would be cool to see someone build an accessory like that and we would be more than happy to provide the signal line information to anyone that wants to attempt it.

I hope this helps.
This does help a lot!

Thank you for such a thorough and detailed reply! I really appreciate it, as well as your enthusiasm and support for your end users' silly projects!

Whenever you have spare time to put together the information about how the signal line information works I would be very interested and grateful for the chance to look it over and see if I cant carve out some time to hopefully build something fun to share. Or if you are able to share anything from the prototypes you mentioned that would just be kind of fun to see as well!

I can email you separately for that info if that is easier than posting or messaging through the forum. Whatever works best for you!

Thank you again for the great product and the encouraging support!

Last edited by Getslideways; Thu, August 26th, 2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old Fri, August 27th, 2021, 03:28 PM
Haptown

Haptown is on a distinguished road

Knowing the pin positions would be very helpful.

While I am familiar with Arduino and ESP8266s and could help program them to display the tune on a lcd or oled, what I am really interested in is being able to disable the up/dn buttons with a DPST switch. Set it to NS, flip the switch hidden under the dash, and then see if anyone can figure it out.

@Getslideways, if you decide to tackle this, I am willing to help, but most of my limited experience is with the WeMos D1 Mini.
Old Fri, August 27th, 2021, 04:58 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haptown View Post
Knowing the pin positions would be very helpful.

While I am familiar with Arduino and ESP8266s and could help program them to display the tune on a lcd or oled, what I am really interested in is being able to disable the up/dn buttons with a DPST switch. Set it to NS, flip the switch hidden under the dash, and then see if anyone can figure it out.

@Getslideways, if you decide to tackle this, I am willing to help, but most of my limited experience is with the WeMos D1 Mini.
It's actually very simple to disable. I've done it several times for customers with fleet vehicles. In on vacation til the 7th, but can get you the pinout when we return.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!