Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I wonder if disconnecting the Gryphon before trying to jump start a vehicle might not be a bad idea? Once the cables are connected, there shouldn't be any problem, the system is then simply seeing what a "normal" system would see with a functioning alternator. But that voltage/current "surge" when connecting might be a bit of a problem?

Seems to me I've read about some instances of jumpstarting vehicles damaging some of the installed electronics in them. This was a few years back, though and I'd expect if that was an issue that protection has been added. Maybe though, the Edge circuitry doesn't have this protection?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

Jack -
I agree that this might me a good/safe idea, but I'm also wondering if people are relying on old methods to connect the jumper vehicle. I've highlighted in red the steps that a lot of owners may do improperly. I could be totally wrong, but I know my Dad taught me the wrong way (an old Army CW4 (maintenance officer) taught me the right way back in 1987).

From the 2009 Owner's Manual:

1. Use only a 12–volt supply to start your vehicle.
2. Do not disconnect the battery of the disabled vehicle as this could damage the vehicle’s electrical system.
3. Park the booster vehicle close to the hood of the disabled vehicle making sure the two vehicles do not touch. Set the parking brake on both vehicles and stay clear of the engine cooling fan and other moving parts.
4. Check all battery terminals and remove any excessive corrosion before you attach the battery cables. Ensure that vent caps are tight and level.
5. Turn the heater fan on in both vehicles to protect from any electrical surges. Turn all other accessories off.

Connecting the jumper cables
1. Connect the positive (+) jumper cable to the positive (+) terminal of the discharged battery.
2. Connect the other end of the positive (+) cable to the positive (+)terminal of the assisting battery.
3. Connect the negative (-) cable to the negative (-) terminal of the assisting battery.

4. Make the final connection of the negative (-) cable to an exposed metal part of the stalled vehicle’s engine, away from the battery and the carburetor/fuel injection system.
Do not use fuel lines, engine rocker covers or the intake manifold as grounding points.
WARNING:
Do not connect the end of the second cable to the negative (-) terminal of the battery to be jumped. A spark may cause an explosion of the gases that surround the battery.
5. Ensure that the cables are clear of fan blades, belts, moving parts of both engines, or any fuel delivery system parts.

Jump starting
1. Start the engine of the booster vehicle and run the engine at moderately increased speed.
2. Start the engine of the disabled vehicle.
3. Once the disabled vehicle has been started, run both engines for an additional three minutes before disconnecting the jumper cables.

Removing the jumper cables
Remove the jumper cables in the reverse order that they were connected.
1. Remove the jumper cable from the ground metal surface.
2. Remove the jumper cable on the negative (-) connection of the booster vehicle’s battery.

3. Remove the jumper cable from the positive (+) terminal of the booster vehicle’s battery.
4. Remove the jumper cable from the positive (+) terminal of the disabled vehicle’s battery.

After the disabled vehicle has been started and the jumper cables removed, allow it to idle for several minutes so the engine computer can relearn its idle conditions

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

One thing they mention that I happen to disagree with is that you should leave the vehicle running while cranking the disabled vehicle. This is generally not a good idea because if the assisting vehicle's battery is weak and unable to provide adequate current, the starting vehicle will be using the alternator of the assisting vehicle as a battery and the resulting current surge can burn out the diode block or windings in the alternator.

My preference... Allow the assisting vehicle's alternator to charge the disabled vehicle's battery for 5 minutes and then shut off the assisting vehicle. With the cables still connected, start the disabled vehicle. Avoid extended cranking as you do not want two disabled vehicles. Once the vehicle is started, disconnect the cables and restart the assisting vehicle.

It might seem like a matter of opinion, but I've personally burn up an alternator with the other method. Nothing like helping someone out and ending up in the crapper yourself.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 11:05 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Note:
The above posts refer to jump starting a vehicle and how important it is to do it correctly.
Follow instructions and don't get in a hurry!
A good point brought up by Jack is also disconnect the gryphon to avoid any possible damage from incorrectly jump starting a vehicle.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.