Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Sun, February 28th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Double Whopper

F-1Fizzy is on a distinguished road
Help Looking to do the upgrade

hi...i am new to the site and i am looking to do the upgrade on my evo to make it a gryphon...i just have a few questions on what to do and what i need,etc...

ok well first my truck is a 2004 f150 FX4 with a 5.4L engine(newer body)
i have a Flowmaster Super44 muffler installed and recently installed a KandN CAI on it along with my Edge Evo programmer.

So im looking to do the upgrade from Evo to Gryphon bc of all the stories ive heard about running lean and other issues with a CAI.
Now what i need to know is when placing the order for the upgrade and the tunes what do i need to put down? I know it comes with 3 preset Tunes on the programmer but, to have it custom for the CAI to run properly what has to be done next? do i need to order a custom tune for each power level i want so it will work with the CAI? or? if so how much is it for the tunes i would need?
bc i would imagine wanting to have the 3 power levels that come stock on the unit being able to work with my mods on my truck...what has to be done?

any and all info that can be given to me is appreciate...thanks
Old Sun, February 28th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

You will need a custom tune for each octane and power level you want.

Most people have these:
1. 87 octane performance
2. 87 towing (for towing anything heavier than 2500 lbs)
3. 91/93 performance

If you never plan on towing, you could keep the canned 87 towing. Or if you want to run 91/93 all the time, you could have the canned 87 performance, 91/93 towing, and 91/93 peformance.

There are a lot of good answers here: http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/faqs-...de-my-evo.html

I'm sure I missed something...

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Sun, February 28th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Double Whopper

ahh ok i gotcha...so since i have the CAI on there i will need to run it on a custom tune at all times in order for it to run correctly and wont be able to run it on one of the tunes it comes with out the box??

also...not to sound dumb...lol..but what do you mean by "canned" with the ways you use it in the post?
btw thanks for all the help with this.
Old Sun, February 28th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

With the CAI the best thing to do is run the 87 tow until you get your custom tunes or if you aren't using the custom tunes. The tow tune runs a little richer than the performance so that helps balance out the lean condition from a CAI. Running a canned performance tune with the CAI could cause your engine to run lean and that isn't very good for it.

Canned tunes are the tunes that come with the programmer out of the box: Level 1 Transmission only, Level 2 87 Tow, Level 3 93 Performance. When you have custom tunes it will look like Custom 87 Tow or Custom 93 Performance.
Old Sun, February 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Gryphon CTS

You are correct about the intake.

Here's a brief explanation of tunes (full credit to Jack):

1. Stock tune: You go to a department store and buy a suit of clothes (ready to wear). Your girlfriend yawns.

2. Canned tunes: You have the suit you bought tailored at one of the combination cleaner/tailoring places, so that it fits you like a glove. Your girlfriend tells you she likes the way you look and seems really happy to be with you.

3. Custom tunes: You pay to have a big name designer create a suit of clothes for you out of fabrics fit for a king. You ditch your girlfriend and accompany a Hollywood starlet to the Academy Awards.

A full explanation is here: Questions About "TUNES"? Read This! - F150online Forums

Old Sun, February 28th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
You are correct about the intake.

Here's a brief explanation of tunes (full credit to Jack):

1. Stock tune: You go to a department store and buy a suit of clothes (ready to wear). Your girlfriend yawns.

2. Canned tunes: You have the suit you bought tailored at one of the combination cleaner/tailoring places, so that it fits you like a glove. Your girlfriend tells you she likes the way you look and seems really happy to be with you.

3. Custom tunes: You pay to have a big name designer create a suit of clothes for you out of fabrics fit for a king. You ditch your girlfriend and accompany a Hollywood starlet to the Academy Awards.

A full explanation is here: Questions About "TUNES"? Read This! - F150online Forums
Thats a good way to put it!
Old Sun, February 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Gryphon CTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
Thats a good way to put it!
I wish I could take credit for it. Those words of wisdom were written by our resident moderator, Sir Jack...

Old Sun, February 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Double Whopper

well once again thank you guys very much...that was all VERY helpful in understanding how this all works....now the couple of questions i have are all just which tunes i should pick....

is it ok if i leave the "stock tranny only" tune on the programmer w/o worry of messing up truck with CAI?

after that im thinking about just a custom 87 performance tune....and then either a 87 tow tune or a 91 or 93 performance tune...any opinions?...i dont tow anything worth mentioning if anything at all once again...so idk if any tow tune would help...or have any beneift?
Old Sun, February 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Gryphon CTS

All tunes that you plan on using MUST be custom to account for your intake.

Since you don't tow (and never plan on towing anything more than 2500 lbs), I'd do this:

1. Custom 87 performance
2. Canned 87 tow (you can always upgrade to a custom later)
3. Custom 91/93 performance

Old Sun, February 28th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Double Whopper

i was thinking the same thing just after i posted....that sounds good ill prob go with that for now...bc it is a lil expensive right now to do 3 custom tunes on top of the conversion of the edge to gryphon at $60 a tune...so 2 for now will be good and not much more $...but now i cant wait to get this programmer out to them and get it back to see how it runs after its tuned right.