Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Performance Modifications and Other Conversations

Performance Modifications and Other Conversations This is a place where we can have real, honest discussions about all things performance related.

Whether it's power adders, engine parts, configurations, injectors, tuning, or whatever else you can thing of, let's talk about it!

Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

04FX4 is on a distinguished road

I am married and dont want loud. I also pull a Travel trailer. I think I will get a magniflow SI/SO.
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I have partial hearing loss and even when I put my first Gibson on si/do under the bumper it got to me after 90 miles of travel of a 450 mile trip. I was pulling a uhaul tandom cargo. The good thing the drone put the kids to sleep the bad thing was the ringing in my ears. After that took it off sold it to a buddy. Replaced it with si/do same side 2 outlets in stock location. Was alot better after that, wife was happier too! Noticed after I got married their opinion counts for a whole lot more.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, February 16th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Warranty Voider

Dixie Design is on a distinguished road

Before I went true duals I did a swap out for a 14" oval Magnaflow SI/SO. Sounded great, MUCH better than stock. My wife didn't mind it at all. Soon as I cut that Y-pipe out and added another muffler, high-flow cats (now pre-cats only), she doesn't get too excited about riding in my truck.

I think you'd really like a 14" Maggie, don't get discouraged right off if it's not quite loud enough, it'll get louder for 3-6,000 miles.
Specs: 2004 4.6L SCAB | Gryphon Programmer 87 Performance | Magnaflow True Dual Exhaust - Rear Cat Delete | S&B CAI | Summit Underdrive Pulleys | Troyer eFans (ordered) | Smittybilt Bullbar | Procomp 6" Driving Lights | UWS Toolbox | Rhino Lining | Chrome Steprails | 2.5" Leveling Kit | 265/70/R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT's
Vids: Magnaflow Startup & Revs - Interior Exhaust Sounds
Old Fri, August 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Whopper

coolio4433 is on a distinguished road

lol, my fiance wanted me to get a louder exhaust.

Her brother has ridiculously loud straight pipes on his truck and she likes that.

I however do not want to announce my presence from 1/2 mile away so I opted for something that included a muffler.
Old Fri, August 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Bacon King

Sburn will become famous soon enoughSburn will become famous soon enough

My smart-azz, redhead wife: "Louder exhaust? Is that so my boyfriend has time to get dressed and out the back door before you pull up?"

Me: "No, that's so you have chance to get my icy-cold beverage poured and into my hand as I walk in the front door."

Old Fri, August 7th, 2009, 02:21 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburn View Post
My smart-azz, redhead wife: "Louder exhaust? Is that so my boyfriend has time to get dressed and out the back door before you pull up?"

Me: "No, that's so you have chance to get my icy-cold beverage poured and into my hand as I walk in the front door."

Wish I could post a smilie right now!
Lol's

Lars

Old Sat, August 8th, 2009, 01:44 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburn View Post

That $hit is FUNNY, right there. I don't care who you are!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, August 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Baconator

BlackSTX is on a distinguished road

I installed the Maggie SI/DO the rear, and I'm quite happy with the noise; wife can tolerate it too, but she is also deaf in one ear and hard of hearing in the other. I guess that doesn't make for a glowing endorsement though....
However, light throttle, it's not bad at all; under full throttle, you know it's there!
I agree you probably do not want rear exit if you pull a trailer. However, a nice thing is that you can go to manufacturers web sites and hear audio clips of their systems. While it's not the best representation of how it will sound on your truck, it will give you an idea. You Tube may also be of some help too.

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Old Sun, August 9th, 2009, 11:20 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSTX View Post
I installed the Maggie SI/DO the rear, and I'm quite happy with the noise; wife can tolerate it too, but she is also deaf in one ear and hard of hearing in the other. I guess that doesn't make for a glowing endorsement though....
However, light throttle, it's not bad at all; under full throttle, you know it's there!
I agree you probably do not want rear exit if you pull a trailer. However, a nice thing is that you can go to manufacturers web sites and hear audio clips of their systems. While it's not the best representation of how it will sound on your truck, it will give you an idea. You Tube may also be of some help too.
You tube is a great resource to hear any and all exhaust systems, aftermarket or custom.

Lars

Old Sun, October 25th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Whopper

99350 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to chime in late here but I have a couple of tidbits you might want to take into account for your exhaust purchase.

1) the scavaging of the exhaust happens in the manifolds/headers and then the rest of the exhaust helps keep that flow going.

2) if you go with true duals an H-pipe or X-pipe in the middle will help equalize the pressures b/t the 2 sides and help with the scavaging effect (due to the firing order)

3) Your pipe diameter is also important if it is too big then there is not enough backpressure and you will actually loose power and for single exhaust you want the pipe diameter about 1.5-1.75X the size of duals (most aftermarket exhaust companies already done the calculations to find the right diameter for you application)

I would look for a quieter system by law they are required to meet a maximum 95db level to be street legal otherwise it will be for offroad use only. I like the sound of flowmasters quite series mufflers when at WOT or part throttle you can hear it pretty good outside the truck it sounds good plus at cruise speeds it sounds almost stock no annoying drone or excess noise.

My $.02