Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, February 7th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Double Whopper

Bob is on a distinguished road
Default Need help diagnosing

I have a problem that seems to be random. I am leaning toward injector, but not sure.

Here are the symptoms. Below 0 weather...Truck started great, warms up great, drives fine in town...get out on the highway about 5 miles and it acts like it is trying to gel. Mind you I am running treated fuel. WOT and loosing speed cuts out and missing. I pull over and it idles fine. Get back out on the road and it does it again. I get it back to town have the filters changed and a new EGR installed. Truck runs good for about a week. Then it acts up at a stop light. Warmer weather similar symptom, but on the low end...go to take off and it bogs down, cuts out, misses, blows white smoke and then pulls out of it and clears up. Seems to idle a bit funny. It might do it at the next light and it might not. It then runs great for a couple of days. I drove to work and all was good. Stop to get fuel and when I start it up it idles rough again. Does the same thing leaving the station and the next stop light as it did before. Then no problem for a day or so. It seems to have the trouble on the low end during city driving. It is warmed up shut down then started and run again. Gryphon showing no codes.

History: About 3 weeks ago Bill and I went through FICM and ECM/TCM roll back. It ran great for a week then all this came about. I am currently running stage 3(tow mode) on the Gryphon canned tunes, while Bill works on custom tunes. Injectors are fairly new, 20k or less and the truck has a total of 135K mostly highway and towing miles.

I am going to turn it back to stock for a few days and see how it goes. Any input would be appreciated.
2006 F-350 6.0L 4X4 AFE Intake, Banks Technicooler intercooler system, turbo back MBRP 4" exhaust, 70 Horse Depaco injectors, FICM and ECM/TCM Roll back, Gryphon programmer and Custom Tunes on the way
Old Mon, February 7th, 2011, 10:53 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Left a note for Cody....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, February 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

No clue.
Old Tue, February 8th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Double Whopper

Thanks guys, Ha Ha Well started great warmed up and drove 30 miles no problems. Shut it off and let it sit for about 1/2 hour. Started, warmed up and drove 30 miles again no problems. It was -15 this morning. So I don't think it is a cold weather issue. I will keep the updates comming until we figure it out. Oh, I have not changed back to stock yet.
2006 F-350 6.0L 4X4 AFE Intake, Banks Technicooler intercooler system, turbo back MBRP 4" exhaust, 70 Horse Depaco injectors, FICM and ECM/TCM Roll back, Gryphon programmer and Custom Tunes on the way
Old Tue, February 8th, 2011, 06:21 PM
electro-mechanical geek

eabrust is on a distinguished road

Did you do remote FICM update, or pull it out/send in/reinstall it? If you removed/reinstalled, are the FICM connectors tight and clicked in?

And if it isn't a new FICM, perhaps check it for 48V, maybe it decided to poop out just after updating (that's how my luck typically is).

Just thinking... good luck

Eric
EGR deleted
Bypass coolant and oil filters
4" Turboback
Old Tue, February 8th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Double Whopper

Good point, I did the remote programming so a connection should not be a problem, but the chance that is going out is a good chance. If there was no bad luck I would have no luck at all.

Weent out later today and it did not bog down, but acted like it had a miss, real suttle. I just dont know why it is so random.
Old Tue, February 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM
tech man

StripperDJ is on a distinguished road

sounds very weird...doesnt really sound like a injector issue to me.. Have you checked you fuel pressure ????? Normally the fuel pump doesnt go in and out like that,,,they just normally take a crap on you all at once,,,but im interested in knowing what it is. Keep me posted on this... It is so hard to diagnose one of these things without actually putting hands on it, but i will do my best to help...my email is brad@phptune.com Im outta town this week and i dont have my computer with me to check those emails but if need be send me a pm and with a number i can reach you at and i will give you a ring the first chance i get...... thanks,, and god bless
Old Wed, February 9th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Double Whopper

Thanks Brad. Today it has had that slight miss both times I started it and drove it. I changed it back to stock last night so it did not seem to make a difference yet. I am curious, how much oil should or could I expect to see in my inter cooler tubes. It seem a bit excessive to me. Could this be a factor? I checked the antifreeze and it was good. I will check the oil in the am when it is cold. FYI, I just changed the oil about a month ago and put the rev-x in it.
Old Thu, February 10th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Double Whopper

John Anderson is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pressure

Definately check your fuel pressure. You are describing classic fuel pump going out problems. I have two 6.0's in the past couple of years that the pump start and stop working almost at random. The first one drove me nuts till I drove it for a week with the fuel pressure gauge hooked up.

When the fuel pump is taking a dump the trucks will idle perfectly, start great, and then randomly crap out once you get them under any load.
Old Tue, February 15th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Double Whopper

Here is the latest. For about 2 days it was pretty consistent a slight miss and doggy off the line. Results of checking the oil are that the oil level is rising. "Fuel in oil?" I then drove 275 miles. It ran great all the way. When I got home I checked the oil again to find the oil level even higher. I then took it to my local diesel shop. We are looking at a possible injector problem of some sort. And the cause...fuel pump. I will keep you posted