Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Old Tue, August 16th, 2011, 10:36 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all
Default Another gem in the shop this week.....

Early 99 Powerstroke. Regular cab dually with a 6-speed. Customer says that it starts fine in the mornings but if you take off and drive it immediately or before the temperature gauge goes above the first line, it will lose power and die. Restarts take some coaxing.

Well, a good technician always tries to duplicate the concern. Well, yep, it did it. I got 1/4 mile down the road the following morning and sure as heck, it starts sputtering and losing power until the pedal is dead and I coast to a stop. Cranks fine and eventually starts after about 10 seconds. It's missing and carrying-on for a few seconds and after about 10 seconds runs fine again. I turned around and headed back to the shop.

The following morning, I checked the oil level before I started it: there was nothing on the dipstick. I hooked up the scanner knowing at this point what was going on. Sure as the sun rises, same thing. This time, the scanner caught the ICP dropping to nothing and the IPR going full tilt.

I just find it hard to imagine being able to run a truck for 10,000 miles on an oil change, never checking it, and only doing something about it once you get so frustrated with the truck stalling every time you drive it........The engine had only 5 quarts of oil in the pan. 15 quarts of oil later and purging all of the air from the high pressure oil cavities in the head and it's back in business.

Oh, and since it's an E99 with a broken tab on the air box, the compressor wheel is nearly gone and it turns over REALLY fast while cranking. To make matters worse, the guy uses the truck for his fencing company so it LIVES on dirt roads and cow trails. The intake tube was lined with DIRT...not dust...DIRT. SAWEEEEET!
Old Wed, August 17th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

Hope he's better at building fences than maintaining vehicles (that provide/support his job).

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Wed, August 17th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Sadly this does not surprise me. I've seen it plenty of times down here.
Old Wed, August 17th, 2011, 08:16 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I see alot of "farmed" pickups up here also.....its sad people treat their vehicles like that and then expect them to run perfectly.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, August 17th, 2011, 11:35 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Good Lord! I'm surprised it could run at all.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, August 17th, 2011, 12:05 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Ran ok when warm....but then again the oil would drain back to the pan fast enough to keep the pickup tube somewhat submerged in oil when it was warm.
Old Wed, August 17th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Wow... I bet he thinks he's got a REAL good starter in that one.
Old Thu, August 18th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road

talk about getting your money worth out of a oil change, I hope you billed him good...lol
Old Thu, August 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Stock Sucks!

TwinTurbo is on a distinguished road

Job Security! I overhauled a tractor for a customer once, wrote the hours down on the filters and told them they needed to change it between 30 & 50 hours the first time. I stopped by to see how everything was going and the filters i put on were still on and the hour meter had around 300 more hours on it. Warranty Voided

'95 F-250 Powerstroke, 350,000 Miles, Mods: Phoenix chip, 140V IDM, Diamond Eye DP to 4" straight pipe, CCV mod, Amsoil synthetics throughout.
'04 F-350, XLT Lariat, Powerstroke, CC, Dually, SS exhaust, AirRaid intake and filter, Edge Evolution, PHP FICM programmer.
Old Mon, August 22nd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

dietoremain is on a distinguished road

geez man thats a good one.. I sure hope hes ready for a rebuild cuz that motors DUSTED..
Autometer gauges
WW/ATS 1.0 exhaust housing
Hutch/Harpoon in tank mods/hpX line
AIH delete/ebpv delete
TruCool trans cooler
Straight piped
PHP FU