Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Fri, December 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Whopper Junior

f150ian is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon not operating under ambient temp of 40 deg.

Greetings all!

'02 F150 4.6L 4x4 Reg. Cab, Serial 2410

I've been having an issue lately where the Gryphon WILL NOT connect to the PCM under an ambient temperature of 40 degrees or so. What's weird is, when the engine is up to temp and the cab is up to temp (er-comfortable ~75 deg), the programmer will connect no problem.

This leads me to believe there's an problem with the Gryphon's hardware when it gets cold.

The truck runs the same on stock or 87 tow. It is currently stock as I'm trying to resolve a cyl 2 misfire on top of this.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-Ian
Old Fri, December 9th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Whopper Junior

It's important to note that I've been through 2 winters already with this Gryphon, with no problems.
Old Fri, December 9th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I left Bill a message. I don't know what to tell you other than get your battery tested and double check all your connections. It may be a sign of a low battery since right off the bat your battery is at its lowest. Once the engine has been running for a while the charge gets built up more and it is able to warm up a little bit.

I recognize your truck. I remember having some of your pictures show up in my photo albums during a forum hickup...about the time you joined.
Old Mon, December 12th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Whopper Junior

Oh yes I remember! For some reason those albums have disappeared again, I don't understand vBulletin forum logic...

Anyway, my truck has been doing a few other odd things lately.
1. Once my Speedo, tach, thermostat gauges shut off randomly, odometer went to -----
2. Once I had a fuel sensor error that threw a code.
3. I still have a misfire on cyl 2. I've replaced spark plug and COP and no solution, I think it could be a bad injector.

The first thing I checked was fuses. Couldn't find any bad ones. I feel like it could be an intermittent short or open circuit somewhere, so I guess I'll check the battery terminals and measure the injector resistance.

Is there any way to trace an open or short circuit?
Old Mon, December 12th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

When was the last time you had your battery and alternator checked?

You could either find a set of those needle testers that poke through the insulation and say hot or cold. Wherever resistance is absolute when it shouldn't be, check connections on that wire. One of the multimeters would be more useful. The needle testers usually use an LED so even .1V can easily light it up.

I'm not sure how to check the injector.
Old Mon, December 12th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Whopper Junior

The battery was replaced last spring, and the truck currently starts strong, but I guess I could have it checked. I would assume since my battery is charged that my alternator is working. I drive about 40 miles a day with no battery light; the gauge shows plenty of juice. Certainly wouldn't hurt to check though.

I'd like to invest in a multimeter, maybe now is the time to do it.

I think if I probe the injector terminals the multimeter will either show open or give me a resistance.

Tags
2002, 4.6l, cold, gryphon