Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Mon, April 16th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Festivus Pole Dancer

Uncle is on a distinguished road
Default Weird problem with Gryphon..

So, i filled the tank with 93 octane the other day, wanted to switch over from my custom 87 performance to 93 performace just for funsies..went to change the tune today at lunch. Went thru the menu and selected 93 custom tune.. it asked me if i wanted to create a custom file, i selected "NO" and hit enter.. well, the Gryphon didn't do anything! Just sat there for a minute or so.. i tried "enter" again, nothing. I shut the key off.. it stayed on. I unplugged it after maybe 2-3 minutes, plugged it back in, and it came on as normal with the key. Truck started fine, still in my custom 87 performance tune. I am too afraid now to try it again. I had a no-start issue late last year that made me gun-shy...i sent the whole shooting match back to PHP last year and they sent me back the programmer with a new cable. I took extra time to make sure when i installed it back in the truck, i didn't kink the new cable.
Anyone have any ideas what would make it get stuck on a particular screen?
Old Mon, April 16th, 2012, 07:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
So, i filled the tank with 93 octane the other day, wanted to switch over from my custom 87 performance to 93 performace just for funsies..went to change the tune today at lunch. Went thru the menu and selected 93 custom tune.. it asked me if i wanted to create a custom file, i selected "NO" and hit enter.. well, the Gryphon didn't do anything! Just sat there for a minute or so.. i tried "enter" again, nothing. I shut the key off.. it stayed on. I unplugged it after maybe 2-3 minutes, plugged it back in, and it came on as normal with the key. Truck started fine, still in my custom 87 performance tune. I am too afraid now to try it again. I had a no-start issue late last year that made me gun-shy...i sent the whole shooting match back to PHP last year and they sent me back the programmer with a new cable. I took extra time to make sure when i installed it back in the truck, i didn't kink the new cable.
Anyone have any ideas what would make it get stuck on a particular screen?
This kind of sounds like a weak battery. Do you know what the no-load resting voltage of your battery is about 3 hours after you turn the engine off? (Put the hood up when you do so that you have instant access to the battery posts without opening a door - which puts a load on the battery.) It should be about 12.7 Volts if the battery is in tip-top shape. Anything less and I would have it load tested.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, April 17th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Festivus Pole Dancer

Uncle is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply Jack! No, i don't know what the no-load voltage is but i will check that this weekend. The battery is fairly new, maybe a year and a half old, but that doesn't mean much these days. I will check it out, thanks!
Old Tue, April 17th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a battery issue.

You sure got lucky it didn't screw anything up!