Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, January 9th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Whopper

ballisticmike is on a distinguished road

i didnt update it yet
Old Sat, January 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticmike View Post
i didnt update it yet
If and when you do - Make sure you update JUST the firmware in the Gryphon, NOT the "calibration". A calibration update will wipe out any custom tune you have.

I honestly can't recall at this moment if you have custom tunes or not. If you still have ONLY canned tunes, then you can update everything. But, I'm trying to head off other people possibly wiping out their custom tune(s) with a calibration update.

And, yes, Mike - the Firmware update should give you the Com(manded) Gear display option.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, January 10th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Whopper

thanks, and yes i do have custom tunes
Old Mon, January 11th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Hidden Valley

F150 Man 4Eva is on a distinguished road

So I do have COM GEAR as one of my displays, and I was wondering what does the lock symbol represent when in 4th gear? It seems like the tranny shifts again and then it will show a little padlock symbol..??
Old Mon, January 11th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

It means that your torque converter is locked.
Old Mon, January 11th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hidden Valley

F150 Man 4Eva is on a distinguished road

Oh ok, thanks. I guess I need to do a little research. I don't even know what the torque converter does.
Old Mon, January 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Forum Predator

Well this is a good place to find out because nobody here will be a jerk.
Here is a video so that you can also see how it works, also says why. This one is pretty good and to the point compared to some of the others.
YouTube - Torque Converter

This also helps show 'how' it fits together and where its located.
http://builderstransmission.com/imag...%20cutaway.jpg
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Whopper

hmm, interesting.. i didnt know about that stuff. Is OD the same as fifth gear? Does comgear show OD? I like to hit the OD button and turn it off ..
1. when on windy/hilly roads
2. going down long hills to control speed

are these mis-uses of the OD button? I know that button is mainly intended for trailer towing
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticmike View Post
hmm, interesting.. i didnt know about that stuff. Is OD the same as fifth gear? Does comgear show OD? I like to hit the OD button and turn it off ..
1. when on windy/hilly roads
2. going down long hills to control speed

are these mis-uses of the OD button? I know that button is mainly intended for trailer towing
Overdrive just means the tires rotate faster than the engine.
Here are the ratios for the 4R75E transmission.
Gear-engine speed:tire rotation
1-2.84:1
2-1.55:1
3-1.00:1
4-00.7:1
So by looking at this table the 4th gear is called overdrive because the tires rotate 1.43 times for every time the engine rotates once.
Hitting the overdrive button will just keep your truck from going into 4th gear. If you are towing something and you hear/see/feel the truck shifting between 3rd and 4th constantly, you should hit that button. It is there to keep the transmission from shifting more than it needs to. If you are going down a long hill in just the truck, yeah, you can use it to slow down without touching the brakes. By doing that you force the truck into 3rd gear and start an engine brake. I've heard that engine braking with these lighter trucks isn't good if you have a really heavy load, but just the truck is fine most of the time.

You will also notice that when you hit the OD button the COM GEAR will change to 3 with the lock. This means that you downshifted to third and the torque converter locked.

*Oh and BTW, those numbers are before your axle. I was using a 1 to 1 axle ratio to make the differences easier to see. Otherwise I'd add in the typical 3.31:1, 3.55:1, 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 axle ratios.
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 07:30 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Nice post, Longshot! And, Mike, you use the O/D button the way I do pretty much. I've never worried about it in windy conditions, but in hilly terrain when the transmission is constantly downshifting and upshifting or the torque converter is unlocking and locking, then I lock it out. I'm perfectly happy to tow with the O/D on, if the transmission is not having to keep switching to maintain speed.

Yes, it does give SOME engine braking when going downhill when locked out and 2nd gear gives even more. I use both as needed. The stress on an engine/transmission combination is no worse, in my opinion, during engine braking than it is under acceleration. But, you can easily overheat brakes (even disk brakes) when going down twisty mountain roads. I hate seeing the constant brake lights on in the vehicles ahead of me in these conditions. Even more, I hate smelling their overheated brakes!

Comm Gear shows O/D as 4th gear, unless you have a 2009+ truck (they have 6 gear ranges).

- Jack