Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon, December 1st, 2008, 10:12 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all
Question Downshifting

OK, here's my first "dumb" question. It may apply to all vehicles, but I'll start it here.

I'm cruising down the highway at around 75mph with the speed control set and in overdrive. The rpms are in the neighborhood of 1800-1900. I come to a hill, not a big hill, but one that's maybe 2-3% grade and one I'll be on for about 20-30 seconds. Partway up the hill, the rpms increase to maybe 2300-2400 (I really need to document this more closely and I'm going off the vehicle's tach, not the one in the Gryphon). Anyway, the speed is maintained without problem to the crest of the hill and then the rpms drop again as I get over the top. Here's the question(s):
1. Is the rpm increase caused by the truck dropping out of overdrive, or is it because the torque converter is unlocking? Or, is it both?

2. There really doesn't seem to be that much load on the engine prior to the rpm increase and there is a lot of potential throttle increase remaining. If the truck had a manual transmission, I would never even consider downshifting in this situation, I'd just open the throttle a bit more. In fact, my Honda Accord (also an automatic) would go over this hill, maintaining speed, without the rpms increasing, and it's only a 4-cyl. Is there any way to delay this rpm surge until it's really needed?
It really bugs me that this truck, with its great big engine, wants to up the rpms for added torque so quickly.

Is there any "user" setting on the Gryphon (such as 4-3 downshift or 4-3 torque converter unlock) that might "calm things down" a bit? Or, is this something that has to be "programmed" into the tune? Or finally, is this just something I have to live with?

I guess I really think that this truck seems too "eager" to "downshift" at any speed, when the throttle is depressed a bit. And, I'm not talking about moving the accelerator halfway (or more) down to pass someone here. But I'd just as soon see less activity out of the transmission for "ordinary" cruising.

Hope what I'm asking makes sense!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer