Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Need More Power!!

slammedsplash is on a distinguished road
Default Bill <- please read. EVO without Custom Options

I currently own an Evolution EEF2100 and I am unable to get to the Custom Options to set gear ratio and tire size. Edge Customer Support told me that it may be because the PCM doesn't give them the option to adjust that parameter. :weeping:

Here is the message to Edge below:

I'm having issues getting my Lightning software to connect to the update server to see if there is an update for my EEF2100. I am currently using Version 2.00.0072 Lightning software. I'm currently using bootloader v1.00b Firmware v08 and Calibration v08.
The reason I'm trying to update my Evolution is because I am unable to get to the "custom options" where I am able to change gears and tire size. No matter which level I program into my truck I'm unable to get to the custom options. I've had it programmed at level 3 and then selected level three again and it tells me to turn the key off and back on then it begins programming level 3 back into it. Never does it give me an option to customize it.

Here is their reply:

Robert,
We can try to walk you through the update process when we reopen on Friday the 2nd. If you can call at that time or the following week we can try to walk you through the update process. The only problem is that we may not be able to do tire size programming on your truck. If the Evolution doesn't give you that option after the update, it may be because the vehicle's PCM doesn't give us the option to adjust that parameter. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thank you.

Bill- is this true, that some PCM's will not allow the custom options? If so, I would think they should mention that in the manual for my EEF2100. When I upgrade this to a Gryphon will I be able to access the custom options then?
BTW, I have also loaded V076 firmware and v7 calibration, also with no luck.

Specs:
1997 Ford F150
5.4L Auto 2wd
HEX Code: ALAPKD3

Thank you in advance.

Rob

Last edited by slammedsplash; Wed, December 31st, 2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Including Truck Specs
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 04:42 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Glad to see you've made it over to here Rob. I DO know that the pre-2004 trucks had PCMs that were more limited in what you could monitor and maybe even adjust. I too, would have thought though that tire size and gear ratio would be available. The Mad Doctor (Bill) will be able to help you, I'm sure, just as soon as he gets to your post. You might want to go back and edit it to include your model year (1997) and engine info though.

That was a GOOD title you used! It should get his attention!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, December 31st, 2008, 12:04 PM
Need More Power!!

slammedsplash is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jack, I was hoping that title would get Bills attention. I know he is busy trying to get everyones custom tunes out. I have went ahead and edited my post with the truck specs.
Old Wed, December 31st, 2008, 01:47 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedsplash View Post
Thanks Jack, I was hoping that title would get Bills attention. I know he is busy trying to get everyones custom tunes out. I have went ahead and edited my post with the truck specs.
Yea - and just for grins, I looked at the Edge website and how they advertise the Evolution for your model year truck. They say that it WILL adjust for gears and tire size! Seems to me they need to get their facts straight!

- Jack
Old Wed, December 31st, 2008, 07:00 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Not to split hairs here, but this is out of Edge's manual for the 1997-2003 Evolution (Page 20):

Quote:
NOTE: When using the Evolution to recalibrate your truck’s factory speedometer, please note that:
  • The Evolution cannot correct the speedometer on 1997-1998 model trucks that have a mechanical odometer.
  • The Evolution will correct the speedometer on some 1998 model trucks that have a digital odometer.
  • The Evolution works to correct the speedometer on all 1999 and newer models with a digital odometer.
I am disappointed that this is not displayed on the website itself and I will bring it up with Edge. I'm also going to have to check our website and make sure we properly inform our customers as well.

As for the custom options themselves, it was most likely an oversight that there are no options for the ALAPK family because there are some for the ALAPF family.

If you plan to upgrade to the Gryphon, we will make sure to have those options included in your build.

Take care and have a Happy New Year!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!