Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Fri, December 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Stock Sucks!

TwinTurbo is on a distinguished road
Default Trouble!!

I'm hoping its just bad luck and coincidence, but I got my chip, installed it carefully following the instructions, and went for a test drive. Everything was working just fine, after about 10 miles the truck just died like the key was turned off, cranked just fine but no restart and the glow plug light was flickering and wouldn't go out along with the IDM relay clicking rapidly. Towed it home and removed the chip - same thing. Checked fuses - #9 20amp maxi fuse for powertrain control system was blown, replaced and glow plug light returned to normal operation along with the IDM relay. Thought I had it nailed, fuse did not blow again but still no start and no tach movement. Changed CPS but still no tach movement. In the process of checking wires now but its outside @ 25* and a 25mph wind so I don't want to spend any more time than I have to chasing things so I thought I would see if anyone has run into anything like this before or has some helpful advice. I don't know anyone near me with the same truck to swap IDM's or PCM's with to eliminate those possibilities either. Thanks.

'95 F-250 Powerstroke, 350,000 Miles, Mods: Phoenix chip, 140V IDM, Diamond Eye DP to 4" straight pipe, CCV mod, Amsoil synthetics throughout.
'04 F-350, XLT Lariat, Powerstroke, CC, Dually, SS exhaust, AirRaid intake and filter, Edge Evolution, PHP FICM programmer.
Old Sat, December 3rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure that the connector is clean and so are the contacts.....I'll leave a note for php

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, December 3rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

That's my advice.
Old Sat, December 3rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Stock Sucks!

Are you talking about the connector where the chip plugs in? If that were the problem shouldn't it start with the chip removed, and would that have caused a blown fuse? it does not run with the chip removed either. And I double checked all the other connections. Thanks.

'95 F-250 Powerstroke, 350,000 Miles, Mods: Phoenix chip, 140V IDM, Diamond Eye DP to 4" straight pipe, CCV mod, Amsoil synthetics throughout.
'04 F-350, XLT Lariat, Powerstroke, CC, Dually, SS exhaust, AirRaid intake and filter, Edge Evolution, PHP FICM programmer.

Last edited by TwinTurbo; Sat, December 3rd, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old Sun, December 4th, 2011, 12:53 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

If it doesn't start with the chip out.....

....and it's not blowing the fuse for the fuel bowl heater......

Your initial connection wasn't good enough (or you reinstalled the black plastic case and bolted it in) and it's possible you toasted everything.
Old Mon, December 5th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Stock Sucks!

Default Fixed

Gott er fixed Found a broken wire at the engine harness to main harness coming from the cps. Why it chose to break that close to putting the chip in with 340,000 other miles it could have chosen from i'll never know but thats the way it goes, just glad it was not the pcm. Chip seems to be working fine as well, -Play time

Old Mon, December 5th, 2011, 03:49 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
Gott er fixed Found a broken wire at the engine harness to main harness coming from the cps. Why it chose to break that close to putting the chip in with 340,000 other miles it could have chosen from i'll never know but thats the way it goes, just glad it was not the pcm. Chip seems to be working fine as well, -Play time
Kewl glad you found it and got it fixed!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.