Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, April 7th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Whopper Junior

in2kelp is on a distinguished road
Help 7.3L ECONOLINE VAN performance help

I have a 2001 E350 7.3L Econoline Extended Cargo Van with 74K that I have converted into a "camper van". Basic paneling and insulation throughout, 5 inch suspension lift with 285/75R16 BFG tires for the many miles of dirt roads my wife & I explore. 3.55 gears. Current maximum cargo loads are basically mountain bikes, climbing/camping gear, 12 gallon water tank, house battery and interior improvements: perhaps 600 pounds plus the two of us.

We currently do not tow but *might* tow a jeep in the future.
I have installed a full set of isspro pillar gauges (pyro, boost & trans)
I understand that due to space constraints the vans do not have an intercooler. EGTs max out on long steep grades going 70 mph on I-15 going through the Mojave desert at 1200 with a typical range of 800-1100.

I would like to optimize and improve the performance of the van. I am not looking for a race truck; just sometime with better drive-ability and fuel mileage while maintaining reliability.

What do you recommended? What is the difference between something like the SCT flash tuner and products from PHP? A few shops in my area recommended the SCT but my research seems to point to the many satisfied customers at PHP....Also, as of Jan 1, 2010 a smog check is required for my California van. So whatever I do must not throw modified codes or needs to be easily return to stock every two years.

I am also considering a 4 inch exhaust with a hushpower muffler and FTE resonator. Any experience on how that would effect EGT's? Performance?

There is no cold air intake upgrade for my van that I have found. I have opted for two replacement K&N filters. Can't say that I noticed the difference. One diesel mechanic suggested I modify/cut the 90 degree stock air intake to allow more flow but I am concerned with sucking up snow or water into the system.

Here is a link to some pictures of the van build and how it is used:
Picasa Web Albums - Steve Kazakos

You ideas are welcome!
Old Wed, April 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

You have plenty of options and these are from their website:
• Gryphon™ Dash Mounted Programmer
• Phoenix™ Multi-Position Switch-on-the-Fly Chip
• F.U. Chip Package - Blank Multi-Position Chip and Burner
• FU2 Flex Chip Package - Custom Tuned Chip and Burner
Goto Power Hungry Performance - Feed your hunger for POWER! Check out our Gryphon Programmer for Ford vehicles! and select products. Got 7.3 options.

Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, April 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If PHP doesn't post anything in this thread you may have to contact them directly for info and availabiliy for options with your van.

Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 07:05 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

On anything 7.3L related, the usual choice is to go with the Phoenix module as it offer the switch on-the-fly capability that so many folks like. However, given the nature of your vehicle you may want to look at something that provides built-in display capability such as the Gryphon CS or CTS.

It all ultimately depends on what features you need and what you're looking to spend. If you'd like, we can give you a shout, see what your needs are, and try to point you in the right direction.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 06:15 PM
PHP Tuned and Vegistroked

Location: Highland, NY in Ulster County (Hudson Valley / Catskills Region)
muns53 is on a distinguished road

Very cool van!

A 4" turbo-back exhaust and new intake should drop your EGTs pretty well. I know a couple companies that make it for your van for under $400 (aluminized). "Full Boar Exhaust" is one and "Diamond Eye Performance" is another.

You can do-it-yourself a "Tymar" or "NAPA 6637" intake on the van. Check the diesel sites like powerstrokenation and powerstroke.org, etc and you'll get an idea of what's involved. You will have to get creative with tubing bends to fit it under the hood. You could use 4" ID aluminum tubing with rubber gaskets at the bends or 4" ID PVC piping.

I can't find it at the moment, but I know I saw pics of someone who put an intercooler into a 7.3 van. They used a 6.0 superduty intercooler and had to relocate both batteries and the radiator, so it took some doing.

All three of these should decrease your EGTs and improve your mileage.

Keep us posted! I for one am very interested.
Old Sun, May 2nd, 2010, 06:42 AM
No spark plugs please

Kwikkordead is on a distinguished road

I have been running a Pheonix chip on my truck for a while now.
Just last month I was climbing Steven's pass in the truck using stock tune.
EGT was 1000.
I then switched to the 25 HP tow tune.
EGT dropped to 850 and that was on a steeper portion of the grade.
I use this truck to pull a 14k lb 5th wheel camper.
The best tune to use for EGT control (IMO) is the 25hp tune.
You get a little more power than stock tuning, and the EGT drops down by quite a bit.
The other positions on the chip are for more HP.
The 45hp tune gives a lot more power but the EGT pushes 1200 if I let it.
It's only good for short hills.
The 80hp tune is NOT for towing.
1996 Audi A4 Quattro. Unstoppable in the snow and ice.
The single most important thing in life is the condition of the human soul. All deeds, whether they are good or evil, spring up from that.

Tags
7.3l, diesel, econoline, ford, van