Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 11:12 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Some program Bill has with a much faster sample rate than AE has....come to think of it, it's way faster than the Genisys too.
Pretty neat to be able to datalog like that....... any ideas on what program that is?
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

No sir.

I know AE will datalog as with most scan tools. However, I am still skeptical as to the accuracy of any data coming off of the OBD port.
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 11:23 PM
BROKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
No sir.

I know AE will datalog as with most scan tools. However, I am still skeptical as to the accuracy of any data coming off of the OBD port.
Agreed! I too am skeptical of most data that the scan tool shows. Great for getting an idea but 100% accurate, no way! I am curious what you find when using a scope to check thinks out.
Old Sat, December 5th, 2009, 03:29 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I am curious as to why you would be skeptical of anything coming from the data bus? I mean, with the exception of SOI which depends a LOT on the mechanical relationship between the crankshaft and the CPS, why would you assume that any of the data form the bus is invalid? You're seeing exactly what the PCM is seeing. The PCM doesn't fudge the numbers it sends you.

As for the SOI, I don't think there are ANY scantools that offer that parameter because it's not a PID.

The hardware and software that I use for datalogging are available for about $1200.00. Not practical for most folks.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, December 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
I am curious as to why you would be skeptical of anything coming from the data bus? I mean, with the exception of SOI which depends a LOT on the mechanical relationship between the crankshaft and the CPS, why would you assume that any of the data form the bus is invalid? You're seeing exactly what the PCM is seeing. The PCM doesn't fudge the numbers it sends you.

As for the SOI, I don't think there are ANY scantools that offer that parameter because it's not a PID.
I guess I really don't have a valid reason for not trusting the data. I think it stems from a few different sources dating back almost a decade. I haven't datalogged or scanned a 7.3L for almost 6 months. I may have confused the scan tool timing data on a Duramax.

I apologize for causing a stink and possibly throwing out some bad information.
Old Sat, December 5th, 2009, 03:29 PM
BROKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
You're seeing exactly what the PCM is seeing.
That is why I dont trust scan tool data 100%. There are alot of things that will affect what the PCM "sees" (volt drop, resistance, etc)and corrupt your PID's.
Old Thu, December 17th, 2009, 04:24 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Cody... don't worry about your post. It's not bad information as such, just a difference of opinion on how reliable you find the data bus to be. I certainly don't disagree with the theory of "garbage in, garbage out" but I would ask you to consider for a second that if the PCM can't produce consistently reliable data pertaining to the vehicle's operation, then what's the point of it in the first place. Granted there are mechanical aspects that the PCM might not be able to compensate for:
  • Timing gear/chain wear affecting the CPS output
  • Bad CPS
  • Worn injectors/weak solenoids
  • Weak IDM
However, the only thing that's going to tell you if those (or other) items are causing problems is a scope, a breakout box, and time.

Because I expect the PCM to generally work from reliable data, I tend to trust the data being provided via the OBDII port. After all, this is the same data that the PCM is using to generate all its outputs. Is it the end-all, be-all of tuning? Of course not. But it does provide valuable data in relation to changes on a specific vehicle and I can use it to determine just how much more or less aggressive certain files are in comparison to each other. In the grand scheme of things, is 2 or 3 degrees of SOI or .3 ms PW going to make all that much difference when there are tunes out there that more than DOUBLE the SOI or Injection PW? Probably not.

Like anything else, it's a tool that provides information. As I see it, the more info, the better.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!