Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Double Whopper

white eagle is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon question

If I have to take my truck in for service can I unplug the Grif and have the tune that is installed at the time stay installed ????
Or do I need to set it back to stock then unplug the Grif ????
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Whopper Senior

sam1947 is on a distinguished road

If you have to take the truck to the dealer, it would be best to set it back to stock and get one of those covers for the OBDII port. otherwise the dealer might do a re-flash of the PCM. Then none of your tunes will work. If you know the dealer well you can just leave things as they are and tell them to NOT re-flash anything. To answer the original question though, you can take the Gryphon out and the tune will stay programmed.
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1947 View Post
If you have to take the truck to the dealer, it would be best to set it back to stock and get one of those covers for the OBDII port. otherwise the dealer might do a re-flash of the PCM. Then none of your tunes will work. If you know the dealer well you can just leave things as they are and tell them to NOT re-flash anything. To answer the original question though, you can take the Gryphon out and the tune will stay programmed.
x2, But I dont think you would want your truck reflashed with a tune installed in it.

IMO I would just set back to stock and take it completely out. Especially if you are still under warranty, just in case they wanted to say something, it would save the hassel of dealing with it. Other than that I think the OBDII port cover is a good idea. Because if you get reflashed the tunes won't work.
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Go bigger !

mxriderae is on a distinguished road

yes i agree with those guys .. return it to stock and ask them to do not reflash the PCM otherwise you`ll pay money to get the custom tunes work again .
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Double Whopper

not you is on a distinguished road

sorry to jump in here. but if im correct you are saying if you put to stock setting and unplug the gryphon and they reflash truck u still lose the tunes. but i thought its all on the gryphon. cant you just plug the gryphon back in again
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by not you View Post
sorry to jump in here. but if im correct you are saying if you put to stock setting and unplug the gryphon and they reflash truck u still lose the tunes. but i thought its all on the gryphon. cant you just plug the gryphon back in again
It's a good question. The problem is, when they reflash the PCM, it changes the HEX code. Now, that doesn't mean much by itself, but the HEX code is a way to describe the parameters of the stock setup. Bill modifies these parameters when he writes your custom tunes, to give you the best possible "bang for your buck". So, his custom tunes are written for a specific HEX code and if it changes, they no longer work.

I don't think though, that Bill charges you to rewrite your custom tunes if you are reflashed - I think he does it for free. (Another reason we think Bill is "the man"!) But, there's no real reason to get your PCM reflashed once you have custom tunes because Bill has already adjusted things to be optimum.

Reflashing is not usually a problem if all you have are canned tunes. These are more "generic", not optimized to a particular PCM setup, but still better than the "stock" tune that came on your truck.

Corey described it once something like this:
1. Stock tunes - You go to a department store and buy a suit of clothes.

2. Canned tunes - You buy the suit of clothes but take them to a tailor and have adjustments made so the suit fits you better.

3. Cuatom tunes - You pay BIG bucks to have a big name designer design and produce a suit of clothes that you could wear to the Academy Awards - and you'd fit right in with all the other attendees. That suit will not look right on anyone else.
Hope this makes a tiny bit of sense.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Double Whopper

not you is on a distinguished road

Yet again you made it easy to understand thanks Shawn
Old Sun, July 26th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Double Whopper

white eagle is on a distinguished road

and once again you all have been very helpful
thank you