Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sun, November 14th, 2010, 01:42 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of
PHP's 2001 F-250 Build. Finally!

I've spent so much time over the last 13 years helping to build and tune everyone else's truck, I figure it's probably time for me to get off my butt and put the screws ours. The build process on this truck is going to be a slow, methodical one as I want to quantify and qualify every modification we make as well as come to a determination as to what would be the best order in which to perform the modifications. Hopefully this will provide some very useful information to folks who are considering some modifications and are just not sure where to start. So, let's begin...

The Platform:

The truck we're building is a 2001 F-250, 2 WD, Single Cab Longbed. The truck had 234,000 miles when it was purchased and it currently has 241,00 miles. The only modification on the truck when we purchased it was a Homemade Tymar/6637 filter kit. Other than that, the truck was completely stock. The engine, turbo, HPOP and injectors are all original, and to the best of my knowledge the engine has newer been apart. A new transmission was installed at about 140,000. Incidentals such as water pump, hoses, alternator, or other minor things I'm sure have been replaces as needed, but have no bearing on this project so I'm not worried about them.

The Goal:

The goal is to see what gains are realized from different modifications, what order would be the most logical to perform them, and ultimately how much RELIABLE, STREETABLE power we can squeeze out of an average, reasonably high mileage vehicle before we experience any significant failure (ie. head gaskets, cracked pistons, or even a *GASP* windowed block). Each level of the build will be dynoed, datalogged, and documented and all information will be publicly available for reference and scrutiny. It is my hope to push 600+ streetable HP and do it for less than $7,500.

The Parts (Initially...):
  • Injectors: Ryan Casserly and the rest of the guys at Full Force Diesel will be handling all the injector builds in each stage of the process. It is our plan to start with Stage 1 Singles (160cc/30%), graduate to Stage 2 Singles (160cc/100%), and then settle in on Stage 3 Singles (300cc/200%).
  • Turbocharger: Bob Riley at DieselSite will be helping to handle turbo upgrades, from a minor upgrade to a WickedWheel replacement compressor wheel all the way up to a full turbo upgrade when we are ready. Possible choices are GT38 and GT42, but others may be considered in the meantime. Since compounds or parallel twins will undoubtedly put us over budget, we won't consider them unless it becomes absolutely necessary.
  • HPOP: DieselSite will again be our choice for all the High Pressure Oil needs. The Adrenaline will be our first stop, and then either a Pulse or OverDrive setup as our demands increase.
  • Exhaust: John Anderson at Little Power Shop has already provided us with a full Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust kit, though it hasn't yet been installed. We will be going with a standard Single Out setup due to the fact that our truck has a full top on it and stacks will not be able to be installed.
The Process:

We will first set a baseline for the truck with Dyno charts and Datalogs. The dyno we're using is a Mustang Dyno Eddy Current load dyno and we will be simulating loads of 7,000 Lbs. (approx. weight of vehicle alone) and 15,000 Lbs. (approx. weight of vehicle with an additional 8,000 Lb. load). We will monitor all pertinents such as MAP, EBP, EOT, EGT, ICP, IPR, SOI, and anything else we feel would be useful. All runs will be made at a stabilized operating temperature (minimum 165ºF for EOT) in order to help maintain data consistency.

All parts will be installed, tuned (if necessary) and tested. When we are comfortable with the configuration, we will then retest and datalog the vehicle. All subsequent performance tests will record the same parameters in the same fashion as the baseline tests. Once we feel we've exhausted the configuration, we'll move on to the next modification. If at any time we should find a deficiency in a particular system, we will resolve that issue before moving forward. For example, if there is a deficiency with the high pressure oil system, we will resolve that issue before moving up to a larger injector. If airflow becomes too big of an issue, then the turbocharger will be addressed.

The central idea is to consider how to possibly build in stages that make the most sense, both from a performance standpoint and a financial standpoint. I've considered the idea of simply installing a 300/200 injector and just detuning it for street use as this would give a person considerable headroom to "build into" down the road as time and finances permit. However, I can still detuned the setup at the end of this exercise and I feel that more usable data can be had by slowly building up with different stage injectors.

Anyway, the project (which technically has already started) officially starts today (11/14/2010) and goes until I top 600 HP or I pop the engine. I know there are a number of gamblers out there, so feel free to pick which you think will come first... Top or Pop. Keep in mind that this is a 240K mile engine and I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what condition it's in, so don't get all excited if it lets go at 575, 500, or even 450 HP. That's just the way it goes.

The Rules:

I ask that we please keep this thread clear of debris and not take up space with "Hey... what's the status?" or "Did you break it yet?" questions. I'll be happy to respond to legitimate questions about the testing process, the parts used, or the POSTED results. Anything else will pretty much be ignored.

All parts used will be, or have been, purchased. I am not expecting any handouts and I will keep track of all purchases to not only see if I'm able to meet my goal of 600 HP for $7,500, but also how much each modification costs and how much power can be made for the current amount invested.

I have no plan to incorporate Nitrous, Propane, or Methanol into this project, although I will be considering Water injection only as an exhaust temperature stabilizer. However, I'd rather avoid such consumables if at all possible.

In the event of any significant failure, the test will conclude and all final results will be posted. I have another block to work with, but that will be used for a much more serious build and would not fit the parameters of this test.

I think that's pretty much it. From here on out, I'll post up Dyno Sheets and Datalogs as time permits.

Stay Tuned...

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, November 14th, 2010, 11:12 AM
atk

atk is on a distinguished road

sound`s like a awsome project. it`s always nice to see results after each mod and to see what product work`s with what....

staying tuned....

any plans on a 6.0L project in the future? ....

Tuned by PHP.... SCT-X3.... Mbrp duals....and more....

Last edited by atk; Sun, November 14th, 2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old Sun, November 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM
tech man

StripperDJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by atk View Post
sound`s like a awsome project. it`s always nice to see results after each mod and to see what product work`s with what....

staying tuned....

any plans on a 6.0L project in the future? ....
just maybe,,,cant ever tell about these kinda things...i just happen to know where a red one is.
Old Sun, November 14th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Absolutely awesome. Just giving some words of encouragement: Good luck! Judging by your work and writeup on the Adrenaline and Overdrive install I think you'll hardly need it though.
Old Mon, November 15th, 2010, 12:57 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck!
Break her down and build her back up.....
Just like Dave did.....http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/1999-...-comments.html

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Mon, November 15th, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old Mon, November 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Bacon King

Diesel Rookie is on a distinguished road

This will be way cool , already subscribed. I am hopping to learn what will work on my 2003 F350 since the platforms are comparable without blowing up my truck. Good luck.

4" Down pipe and exhaust, Wicked Wheel, Modified Exhaust Turbo Housing, Big Head Waste Gate Actuator, PML Transmission Pan, Factory Tech Valve Body, Autometer Gage Pod, PHP FU2 Chip
Old Tue, November 16th, 2010, 08:56 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Okay folks... It looks like we just upped the ante.

Yes folks, those are rod bolts which mean the engine is a PMR engine. Not only do we have to contend with head gaskets, we also have to contend with bottom end reliability. This really doesn't change anything and I'm still going to shoot for 600 HP, it just means that tuning is going to be über critical. Of course, given this new information I will be making the decision to install head studs before stepping past Stage 1 injectors. This will eliminate one area concern and because it can be done without compromising the original head seal, I feel that it doesn't completely invalidate the test.

I will be doing the studs after I test the Stage 1's. I will most likely wait on the fuel system until I can get the Stage 2's installed so I can dyno before and after the fuel system installation. I'll also probably hold the turbo mods until Stage 2's so we can test different configurations.

Once through the Stage 2 injectors, and assuming that the HPOP makes it that far, we'll upgrade the HP oil system and the turbo. This is, of course, assuming the rods haven't scattered yet. I can't see any reason why we can't hit 500 HP on PMRs, and if we make the 600 HP mark then that would be really cool. If not, then oh well.

Like I said, it's gonna be interesting!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, November 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like you're worried about those rods......
If you are then get them changed before you window the block.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by cleatus12r; Wed, November 17th, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old Wed, November 17th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
That would take all the fun out of it... I'm really interested in the results like everyone else, especially just the Stage 1's with everything else stock. That's probably as far as I'd ever be able to go with mine.
Old Wed, November 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Why ruin a good, already hard-to-find block and crankshaft?

I knew he had PMRs in that truck!! All three 2001 trucks that I've personally looked at (built pre 6/01) have had PM connecting rods. I am not sure of the build date on his engine. But being that it is an '01 truck, I assumed it was a PMR engine.