Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, January 9th, 2009, 04:40 AM
PHP Cheerleading Section

OneTomcat is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the great ideas. You guys rock I think I do have a cell phone charger plugged in the rear power point. I'll check out the other things this weekend.... hopefully we'll get a day warm enough to do anything.

I'll not get involved in the lighter fuse issue as I can see many hours of heated debate

'05 F150 FX4 SCAB
K&N FIPK
Magellan Navigation System
Full Boar Performance SIDO exhaust
Gryphon PHP Programmer w/ custom tunes
4UCam wireless backup cam
Old Fri, January 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

And, I'm apologizing right now for the tone of my last post. It was unkind, and Corey, I'm sorry! I still think I'm right about the fuse issue, but I could have found a better way to say it.

Told you I'm not "nice"! :o

(Oh heck - go ahead and change the fuse! It can't hurt anything!)

- Jack
Old Fri, January 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post

And, if you can convince me I'm out to lunch on this, I'll humbly apologize!

- Jack
Jack, you don't have to apologize! I accept cash, flowers, jewelry...

My fault for not explaining correctly. I didn't mean to imply that he should CHANGE the fuse. If the dang thing is working part of the time, the fuse itself is obviously fine. Bill just confirmed to me that since the issue is intermittent, it could be ANY electrical connection and that he would check all electrical contacts. To me, checking the fuses seems pretty easy, so why not start there?

Bill said that they have found on the Edge Juice that the electrical draw causes contraction and expansion of the contacts on the fuse -- I think he called it terminal expansion. When the customer is instructed to remove the fuse and put it back in, the problem goes away!

And anyone should feel free to give me -- or anyone else for that matter -- $hit if we say something that's wrong. You will find, though, that when it comes to anything technical, I will have always checked with Billy first before I post. Trucks are not my realm of expertise -- yet! -- and I'm not about to post something if I'm not 100% sure.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019

Last edited by Corey Cohron RIP; Fri, January 9th, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old Fri, January 9th, 2009, 09:58 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

So, the fuse contacts could be distorted by the electrical draw! I DO humbly apologize! (Rats! You're the fastest editor in the Free World, now I have to look for flowers, jewelry, or find some cash).

My thought in changing the fuse was to fix any "hidden" problems.

Just so you'll all know, Corey and I have PM'd back and forth on this issue this morning and I'm eating a big serving of crow right now. Fortunately, she's a forgiving soul in addition to being "Groovy"!

- Jack
Old Fri, January 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

No worries... the way I had it worded at first sounded like, "Hey, Dude, change the fuse," which, of course, WOULD have been stupid since the programmer was only cutting out intermittently.

BTW, he didn't tell me about the Juice stuff until this morning when I asked him again if, maybe, the fuse could be loose or something.

All is forgiven. :hug:

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Fri, January 9th, 2009, 10:21 AM
working for parts.....

Northern Supercrew is on a distinguished road

i can feel the love here:joy:
Old Fri, January 9th, 2009, 11:32 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Supercrew View Post
i can feel the love here:joy:
Yea, group hugs all around!

- Jack
Old Sun, January 18th, 2009, 08:29 AM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
I LOVE when I know the technical stuff!

One side effect of the Gryphon is that it can detect battery issues before they actually BECOME issues. When it's in "sleep" mode, the Gryphon actually pulls very little current from the battery, so if it's shutting down completely, there may be something wrong.
I believe my gryphon must pull a surprising amount of current even when it's in sleep mode. It is affecting my trucks ability to start in very cold weather after sitting a while. Battery has been basically dead a couple times now and it should NOT have been.
It does seem like this factory battery is a pathetic POS though.........I think it only has 500cca.
Custom tunes
Old Sun, January 18th, 2009, 03:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris74 View Post
I believe my gryphon must pull a surprising amount of current even when it's in sleep mode. It is affecting my trucks ability to start in very cold weather after sitting a while. Battery has been basically dead a couple times now and it should NOT have been.
It does seem like this factory battery is a pathetic POS though.........I think it only has 500cca.
Chris, you might want to look at this thread: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...read.php?t=259 In post #4 I talk about what I discovered regarding current draw on the battery by my 2005 truck. If the battery is weak or it's very cold, I think the symptoms would be exaggerated.

- Jack
Old Sun, January 18th, 2009, 04:10 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

One thing that people forget is that as voltage drops, current draw goes up. This means that as the battery falls below 12v, the current draw form peripheral devices goes up and causes the battery to discharge even faster. I don't have any data on the slew rate of the discharge vs. time, but suffice to say that it becomes quite aggressive as the voltage falls.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!