Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, May 27th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Double Whopper

white eagle is on a distinguished road
Default when to stop

Do you have a mileage limit that you impose on yourself when you will not preform anymore mods on your truck ?
Old Wed, May 27th, 2009, 09:13 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Is this a question for anyone or Bill specifically?

If anyone can answer, then I would definitely say "no". I say this because parts wear but do not inherently become weaker with age or mileage. If it's going to break, it was going to break anyway.

For me, it really depends on previous usage and maintenance. With the manufacturing tolerances of today's drivetrain parts, I wouldn't hesitate to power-up a vehicle with 200K on it. Now, a 60s-80s vintage car or truck, 100K would be about the limit.
Old Thu, May 28th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Baconator

BlackSTX is on a distinguished road

Not really, though it depends on what mods are being considered. Obviously one isn't going to be slapping serious mods into a vehicle that is high mileage and is well worn; you'd only be bringing about it's expiration date a bit sooner. That being said, my friends and I have not hesitated to put parts on vehicles that had some mileage and sat in the field for ten years. Of course, this was after all fluids had been changed; calipers, carbs, plugs, cap/rotor, wires, had all been changed/rebuilt and vehicle had been driven a while to determine its condition and reliability.

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Old Thu, May 28th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Double Whopper

white eagle is on a distinguished road

I was just curious if any of you thought that mileage was a issue or actually came into play when considering mods for your vehicle.
I was not directing the question at anyone in particular just a general survey type is all
Thanks
Old Thu, May 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Well for me, I dont really have a mileage set, but I will go off of years that I had the vehicle also. The last truck I had I made the mistake of lifting it and decking it out with all kind of accessories, then woke up one morning about 4 months later and sold the truck and got the truck I have now.

So now if I dont do anything within the first year or 2, its gone to sit like it is. Luckily I bought the f150 used last year, so I still have time for the lift and stuff

But I know that probably wasn't what you were getting at, so honestly I probably would not put much money into a vehicle after around 80,000-90,000 unless I planned on keeping it. But that number would probably go up if I averaged more miles per year or if the 09+ f150's dont get to looking any better. But with all of that being said I have a 92 f150 with 237,000 on the clock that I put a lot of mods into.
Old Fri, May 29th, 2009, 02:12 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I generally tend to keep vehicles a while and mod along the way. If I know I'm going to be selling soon, then I stop. Otherwise, keep plugging away at it 'til you're satisfied or broke.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!