Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, July 31st, 2009, 09:50 AM
Double Whopper

white eagle is on a distinguished road
Default octane

is there any problem associated with running higher (110)octane fuel in your truck
there is a station that has 110 race fuel that I want to try
maybe a mix of 93 and 2-3 gals of the high stuff
Old Fri, July 31st, 2009, 08:32 PM
Double Whopper

408F150 is on a distinguished road

There's no risk of running higher than normal octane (assuming it isn't packed full of cheap additives) as far as I've heard, however our engines aren't efficient enough to see any benefit from it unless you're driving around in heat so high you're getting premature detonations (pinging). Higher octane's only benefit in most engines is it takes a higher temperature to ignite the fuel so it allows higher compression pistons and more aggressive cams to be used. I've put aviation fuel which is I think 108(?) in my quad that is engineered to run on 91 and saw only a slight difference, and that's in an engine with much higher compression than my truck. Could be wrong but that's just what I've experienced first hand
Old Sun, August 2nd, 2009, 02:12 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Like 408 said, unless you're running high compression or forced induction, there's not much benefit to running anything over about 95 octane. Higher octane doesn't make more power on a low compression engine, it just resists detonation/preignition.

Another thing to keep in mind is that high octane fuels such as aviation fuels are "drier" than normal automotive grade fuels. This can possibly result in advanced wear of the exhaust valves. This used to be a much bigger problem years ago with cars designed to run leaded fuels, but even today's vehicles which run hardened exhaust seats and alloy valves can still see accelerated wear due to the lack of lubricant additives in aviation fuels. Even many motorcycle manufacturers do not recommend running these types of fuels in 2-stroke engines due to the lack of lubrication on the rod bearings, rings, and piston/cylinder surfaces.

This is a very interesting article on fuel octane and is worth the read if you have about 30-40 minutes to kill. (I read kinda slow, too.) http://www.turborx7.com/fuel.htm It even has a section on octane, performance, and tuning. I hope it's useful.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!