Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, April 23rd, 2009, 05:51 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Let me take a guess what that gm car was.

Maybe a vette?

My dad used to help one of former employers with his.

Let's see if I remember how it went.

1. Get the hoist hooked up to the motor.

2. Loosen up header collector flanges.

3. While your are under there loosen the motor mounts.

4. Raise it up until tranny hit the top of tunnel. Approx 6".

Presto you had acces to the plugs.

The ones I don't like are the transverse mounted v6 engines. The firewall side bites.
Lars
Dead on Lars! I doubt many of our younger members would believe that anyone could have designed such a thing! I still have trouble believing it myself.

- Jack
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Warranty Voider

Dixie Design is on a distinguished road

I was quoted upto $740 if all the plugs broke, about $450 if none of them did at the dealership here in town. A dealership up the road quoted me under $300, which I almost took advantage of, but it just wasn't a good time of the year for me so I tackled it myself. I printed out the TSB, followed it to a "T" and didn't break a single plug. Took me maybe 2 hours.
Specs: 2004 4.6L SCAB | Gryphon Programmer 87 Performance | Magnaflow True Dual Exhaust - Rear Cat Delete | S&B CAI | Summit Underdrive Pulleys | Troyer eFans (ordered) | Smittybilt Bullbar | Procomp 6" Driving Lights | UWS Toolbox | Rhino Lining | Chrome Steprails | 2.5" Leveling Kit | 265/70/R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT's
Vids: Magnaflow Startup & Revs - Interior Exhaust Sounds
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

At my dealership in Tucson (Jim Click Ford), they say they don't have problems with the plugs either. I'm firmly convinced that people who do are trying to "rush" things a bit - which I suspect would be very easy to do.

Glad to hear you had such good success, Dixie!

- Jack
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 09:38 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Also not a lot of people mentioning this.

Buy a toothpaste size tube of dielectric grease and not those little vial size ones. The only reason I add this is that those cop boots need to have a generous coating on them to help seal out the moisture.

When coating the shanks of the plugs a light coating of the tsb's antiseaze is prefered from the bottom of the threads to just before the end of the shank. Do not apply around electrode area. The tsb is quite straight forward.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Bacon King

svt2205 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA2Dsailor View Post
What spark plugs do yall recommend? Also how much have you guys paid to get them done? I just called a Ford service place and they said $540 parts and labor. Or 206 without plugs. Last time i checked plugs were not 334 bucks. I'll break the plugs myself before I pay that.
I just did mine last weekend. Not a fun experience at all. Even following the TSB you still have a good chance for broken plugs. I had 3. Make sure you buy an extraction tool and there are a few different one's. I have the Matco tool, but if you visit their website you'll find 2 different ones. One that just removes the metal tube and another that has a item to push the porcelin down so the extraction tap can get into the tube. If I had to do this again, I'd buy that one vs the basic tool I bought. Add to this you will need to buy a spark plug socket so you can remove the plugs. And you'll need to track down some Motorcraft carburetor tuneup or cleaner. The TSB, 08-7-6 spells it out very well. If you've not seen them broken, there are 3 different ways they break. If you'res break like the 3rd photo, you'll need to find a way to get the center electrode out before you can work on the porcelin. http://www.brokensparkplug.com/ Two of my three broke this way. Find a set of very long reach, like 11 inch or so needle nose pliers. The off the shelf long reach pliers wont even reach. Trust me on this one.

I bought my plugs thru rockauto, MOTORCRAFT Part # SP507 {#PZT14F}
and they were only 7.32 before applying the discount.

While your dealer may be expensive, there is a certain amount of peace of mind that you're paying for. And if you do it yourself and you can't get the dam things out. How much do you think it will cost you to get the truck towed and repaired? I'd put money on it being far more then their initial bill.

Good luck whatever way you go
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Redbull Junkie

TA2Dsailor is on a distinguished road

After reading what everyone has said I think I'll suck it up and pay to have it done. There goes my uniform money Thanks to all that replied.
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 02:49 PM
PHP Groupie

Henry - please don't think my comment on broken plugs caused by "rushing" was aimed at everyone. It's also clear that some plugs are just too carbon fouled to get out in one piece. You certainly seem to know what you're doing - and, you're braver than I am.

I'm curious, what kind of driving do you do? Is it mostly city, mixture of city and highway or mostly highway? I've been trying to get a feel of the effect of this on plug breakage. My gut feeling is that highway driving should cause the least carbon buildup and would give less plug breakage.

Bluejay, over on f150Online swears by Techron as a carbon buildup preventive. Personally, I've never thought much of gas additives, but maybe in this case....

I wonder too if the anti-seize around the plug nose will stop future breakage? We'll have to wait a while to find that out, won't we?

- Jack
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 10:57 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Just from some informational gathering. It seems more people break plugs due the lack of the tsb knowledge, using the wrong fluids(solvents), get impatient and or wrong tools.

Lars

Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Bacon King

svt2205 is on a distinguished road

No need to worry about it Jack. I'm not.

I can only offer opinion based on what I experienced. Right, wrong or indifferent, it surely wasn't a pleasant experience. To top it off, since I changed the plugs. I now have the smell of gas coming into the cab of my truck. To make this so much more fun, there are no visual signs of gas leaking from any place.

I did get it to stop for a week after cleaning up the top of the engine with simple green and a hose. Plus I cleaned up each of the evap lines and put a light layer of thin oil on their orings to improve the sealing. But that wonderful stink of gas has returned.

What he heck would cause this sort of thing?

Oh well. Maybe changing my plugs wasn't a smart choice afterall....
Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Did you fully check the fuel rails? Maybe you might need some new o-rings? The old ones could have flat spots or cracks.
At the shop we always get a complete set for each injector when we change them. Or did you wiggle a injector?

Just some brain storming.

Lars