Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Sun, August 23rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Whopper Junior

badbrad2007 is on a distinguished road
Default How much difference from Evo to Gryphon?

I recently got the edge evolution on my 01 5.4 f150 with a air raid CAI and magnaflow exhaust.. I love the change in shift points, but other than that i really did not notice much difference as far as power goes or throttle response, etc.. I hear about people saying after they get these things put on its a whole new truck, but mine is not feeling that way. Is it just because I have the CAI and its running lean? will the gryphon REALLY make this truck run noticeable better? Im thinking about doing the upgrade soon!
Old Sun, August 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrad2007 View Post
I recently got the edge evolution on my 01 5.4 f150 with a air raid CAI and magnaflow exhaust.. I love the change in shift points, but other than that i really did not notice much difference as far as power goes or throttle response, etc.. I hear about people saying after they get these things put on its a whole new truck, but mine is not feeling that way. Is it just because I have the CAI and its running lean? will the gryphon REALLY make this truck run noticeable better? Im thinking about doing the upgrade soon!
The lean issue only applies to the 04-05 and some 06 5.4's. So don't worry about that in your year of truck.
The edge only has generic canned tunes. These tunes fit a variety of models and owners of f150's.
The custom tunes on the gryphon are tailored to you and your truck. Bill does a great job on them!
You will deffinetly feel a difference.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, August 23rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Just trying to stick to the facts, running a CAI in conjunction with a programmer with canned tuning can often result in a lack of performance due to an excessively lean condition that is frequently observed with that combination. We have personally dynoed trucks that made good power gains and then lost power simply by bolting on a CAI. After tuning to correct the lean conditions, everything was back to normal.

Now, is this what's happening with you truck? It's hard to say. Every vehicle is different, every CAI model responds differently, and there are hundreds of calibrations that each have minor tuning changes that affect overall performance. In general, I'd say that going with some custom tunes would be helpful in providing that "wow" feeling.

I hope this is helpful.

On edit -

Somehow missed that it was on '01. CAI kits on those don't suffer the overly lean conditions that late models do... at least not to the same degree.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!