Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue, August 2nd, 2011, 11:22 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilso2 View Post
I dont have nearly the experience Jack does but I fly for a living and have some engineering experience and I'll second all of the above. Even with the 3 way connector there is still going to be a pile of airflow going up that tube which could carry water with it. Pressure differential isnt the issue. Its the fact the air and water are moving fast, rain will fall side ways and even upwards of the wind is blowing hard enough and in the right terrain. And the 3 way definitely doesnt solve the dirty filter issue.

Joe
Joe, my thoughts exactly! But, here in Tucson, we have many dips in the road that fill with water if it rains (admittedly rarely). The "low down" intake without a vacuum break (provided by the "Y" in the reference Longshot posted) would guarantee water into the cylinders.

Now, with the vacuum break, the water would probably not be sucked up at city speeds. But, you hit a big puddle at highway speeds (or the vehicle in front does) and you have big water drops at high velocity going into that intake. I'm not confident that they won't find their way into the engine. Personally, I think a "ram" intake needs to be on top of the hood.

Even then, I'd want some kind of water separator. It's possible, as you probably know, to "drown" a jet engine in a heavy rainstorm. A recip would just be destroyed.

- Jack