Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 01:33 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of
Default Ain't we got fun?

We're on I-77 in NC, and we just pulled off to get two new rear tires. Though it's a huge inconvenience and an unexpected expense, we sure are grateful that God got us off the road safely and at an exit where we can get all fixed up! God is good!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Wow that sucks, Glad you got off safely and nothing too bad happened.
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 01:44 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
We're on I-77 in NC, and we just pulled off to get two new rear tires. Though it's a huge inconvenience and an unexpected expense, we sure are grateful that God got us off the road safely and at an exit where we can get all fixed up! God is good!
Better check the vehicle out a little better next time before you leave.

What you hit? Road debri?

Thank goodness it wasn't the fronts!

Have a "safe trip"

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 01:50 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Glad you're OK.

I'd much rather have a front blow than a rear.
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Double Whopper

dlmcbm is on a distinguished road

I take it your going up RT81.... Ill find an overpass in Hagerstown, Md. and look for ya. Maybe hang a "BIG" PHP sigh out of something.

have fun. hope the rest of your trip goes well.

2001 F-350 crew cab 4X4
DIY napa air filter
4" turbo back exhaust
PHP flip chip--- stock,fuel sipper, 100hp, 140hp
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 05:27 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Yep... up I-77/I-81.

Let me know what mile marker you're at and we'll wave!

As for tires, we got a pretty good deal on 4 new Michellins. As always, God put us where we needed to be. The tire held until we could get off the highway. We have a nice, full-size spare and it took 10 minutes to change tire. We were 20 miles from a Costco we were familiar with and were able to get right in. All in all, pretty lucky.

I don't know what happened to the tire. I checked the tires earlier before we left and everything was cool. At some point during the trip we started to feel a little vibration. It started getting worse pretty fast and we limped to an exit. What we saw wasn't good. I guess with the warmer climate things shifted and the tread separated. Besides, the tires were old. I think they were actually the original ones on the vehicle so they didn't have many miles, but a lot of age.

Well... we're back on the road again and heading north. A bit of a detour, but none the worse for the wear. (Although a few dollars lighter.) Hopefully this is the worst of it and the rest of the weekend will be smooth sailing!

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 05:47 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Tire seperation is scary stuff. It can happen from hitting curbs or nice big potholes, the problem is you can't see it and forget it and it heats up(long trips)your done. You were lucky as you said to be where you were.

Drive safe!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

Preventive
Mantainence
Checklist
Service
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Thu, April 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hit n Miss

Peroni is on a distinguished road

You were very lucky. When I got my truck it had Firestone Steeltex tires on it. They looked great and had awesome tread. 2 summers ago I was heading out to western WI with about 1500lbs in the back. Just got past DeWitte MI after 15hrs on the road including 3hrs stuck at the Sarnia border crossing when driver's rear went BANG! Tread mostly seperated, wrapped around the axle locking that hub and I slid 200' on the rim. The steel belting scratched my rear bumper, put a huge dent in underside of the bed, caught my mud flap stuffing into the wheel well which crumpled the lower rear of the body panel, tore out the front fender brace, kinked the brake line, messed up the parking brake cable and very nearly tore off the fuel filler neck. What a relaxing way to start a trip! Wait it gets better! My spare - which I filled not even 24hrs before - only had 10lbs left in it. Lovely! Had to go on the ramp truck as he had no air tank. Had to drive all the way up to Ludington, take the ferry across lake Michigan then drive clear across WI on rt 10 with a leaky spare and 3 tires I no longer trusted. Needless to say when I got to Ellsworth I called around and (ironically) ended up ordering 4 Michelins from River Falls Tire who are a Firestone dealer. In the end it was kinda worth it cause the chick at the tire place was HOT! And I got consolation knowing the azzhat who was tailgating me in MI probably had to go home and change his undies.
the 1997 F-350 XLT 7.3L PSD 4x4 CC LB BTS E40D Manual Hubs 4.10 36000 miles when purchased 4/1/06. Mods - ISSPRO Performax gauges, Tymar intake, Tymar 3x4 DP to 4" ss exhaust, electric fuel, CCV mod, tru-cool 4739, Swamps 175/30% injectors, stage I Stealth pump, D66 turbo Spearco 6.0 cac, BDP live tuned tuned 442hp/860tq.
Old Thu, April 30th, 2009, 06:46 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

How'd I miss this thread? Glad you all are OK, Bill and Corey.

Something you MAY want to look into (when you get your trailer) is a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Camping World sells one now for $360 to members that monitors six tires. The wireless receiver sits on your dash and the senders are little 1/2 ounce things that screw into your tire valves. You get a yellow light and a tone if a tire drops 12.5% and a red light and warning if it drops 25%. You also have an onscreen readout of each tire's pressure (on demand). You can monitor up to 24 tires (I think?). But the bad news is that additional sensor/transmitters are $90 a pair. You can rapidly switch between monitoring vehicle AND trailer and vehicle only (for when you're not towing).

I was always worried about losing pressure in a trailer tire before I got this and now I don't have to worry. Additionally, one time driving down the rocky dirt mountain road in the Chiracauahas, I shredded a rear tire on my truck and didn't even know it until we were at the bottom and I started to speed up. Possibly, with the sensor, I might have saved that tire. Thankfully, my rim wasn't damaged.

I know this sounds like I sell this device, but I don't. I just happen to think it's a good idea.

Oh, if you DO buy a trailer - you're going to want to join Camping World! Trust me on that!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Closed Thread