Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, July 24th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Double Whopper

not you is on a distinguished road
Default have a question

i bought a gryphon with trans only 87 tow and 93 performance what can i expect from these picks i think i might have screwed up my truck is bone stock except a drop in k n filter i looking for better mpg and and better shifting and maybe to spin some tires when its not raining i can tell i will be messing with this thing alot oh i never tow with this truck so is the 87 tow useless to me please help me figure these thungs out thank u
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 08:18 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Sounds to me like you should get an 87 performance tune instead of an 87 tow. What I'd do is put the 87 performance on Level 1, Leave Level 2 alone as the canned tow tune and replace Level 3 with your 93 performance tune.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Double Whopper

say what? i guessing on each tune there is settings?
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 08:42 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by not you View Post
say what? i guessing on each tune there is settings?
There are, but most of them are done by Bill. This is what a "custom" tune is all about. It's not you making "trial and error" inputs that might cause your engine to blow up, or your transmission to fall apart.

- Jack
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Double Whopper

yes thats what i do not want to happen . groovy chick said they might ship on friday(yesterday) so what can i do now? wait to get it and wait in line for custom tunes? can i still use it ? will it make a difference with the mpg and spining some tires or not do anything and hurt the truck and we dont want that ( i would not want totell the wife that i just screwed the brand new truck up ) thanks with the feed back and be prepared for more shawn

Last edited by not you; Sat, July 25th, 2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 09:51 AM
PHP Groupie

OK, I THINK you are asking questions about the "Custom Options" feature of the Gryphon/Edge. If you're just getting a new Gryphon, it will come preloaded with Bill's "canned" tunes. These are better than Edges' but he can customize them for your truck and driving goals still more with true custom tunes. The three tunes are 1. 87 Tranny only, 2. 87 tow, and 3. 93 Performance.

If your tank is FILLED with 93 octane, you can choose this tune. If not, I'd try the 87 Tow tune. The first time you set a tune, skip the Custom Options menu completely. This lets the Gryphon build some files it needs.

Drive the truck around and find out what the tune has done for you.

Then, if you want to make small adjustments, you can reenter the tune, but this time choose the Custom Options menu. Before you do this, read through the Q and A about this menu here: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...ead.php?t=1101 Read through this several times - make sure you understand it. It's VERY easy to misunderstand what you're doing and screw things up.

I'd also be very reluctant to set any WOT shift above 5100 and don't move the max rpm above 5500, to avoid transmission damage. I'd also probably not increase shift firmness much above +10.

- Jack
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Double Whopper

sorry for the confusion. i think your saying what i have now will be fine to run and if there is something i need to change i can do it myself but before this happens run it around town and it will save files and before i change anything i will look at Q A forum to understand my changes trust me when i say this there will be no changing anything until i send a lot of threads out there another Q sometimes i run 89 octane in the truck and it runs a little better than 87 but the gas mileage is real bad so with the 93 setting i can run 93 and get better mpg and better responce thanks for the info and the tring to understand my blabbin on and on shawn
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
sorry for the confusion. i think your saying what i have now will be fine to run and if there is something i need to change i can do it myself but before this happens run it around town and it will save files and before i change anything i will look at Q A forum to understand my changes trust me when i say this there will be no changing anything until i send a lot of threads out there another Q sometimes i run 89 octane in the truck and it runs a little better than 87 but the gas mileage is real bad so with the 93 setting i can run 93 and get better mpg and better responce thanks for the info and the tring to understand my blabbin on and on shawn
Uh, yea (I guess). Could you please write in sentences? This isn't a cell phone text message medium.

And, I just realized you asked a question at the end. Other people have reported better gas mileage and power using 93 octane and the corresponding tune. I've never tried it. I got better mileage and response just using the 87 tune.

If you use 89 octane in an 87 tune, you should be able to advance your timing by 1.0 degree in the Custom Options, and that should improve both power and mileage.

- Jack
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Double Whopper

Ok ok I will write in sentences, my wife yells at me too for that also . U will have to bare with me with spelling. You stated that if I run 89 octane on 87 tune (meaning the 87tow tune?)I can advance my timing myself on custom tunes. How hard is that to do step by step or harder and what kind of mpg do u get .One more thing my truck is a flex fuel truck but never use that e85 its not around here does that matter. thanks again Shawn

Last edited by not you; Sat, July 25th, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 01:05 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Ok ok I will write in sentences, my wife yells at me too for that also . U will have to bare with me with spelling. You stated that if I run 89 octane on 87 tune (meaning the 87tow tune?)I can advance my timing myself on custom tunes. How hard is that to do step by step or harder and what kind of mpg do u get .One more thing my truck is a flex fuel truck but never use that e85 its not around here does that matter. thanks again Shawn
That's better, I kind of get lost in a sentence that spans five lines and as many thoughts!

Both Level 1 and Level 2 are written for 87 octane. In the Custom Options menu, you simply scroll to "Timing" and then hit the "up arrow" until you see +1.0. That's really all there is to it. And yes, Level 2 is the "tow" tune.

The whole point of Custom Options is to allow YOU to make small adjustments in a tune. Nothing too major.

I can't give you a "final" figure for mpg, because our trucks are different. Bill's custom tunes easily improved the economy by 0.5 mpg over the canned tunes. The canned tunes probably gave me an improvement of at least 1 mpg, maybe 2 mpg over stock.

You don't have to run E85 at all. If you do, you'll probably see a big drop in gas mileage, but you may see an increase in power during heavy acceleration.
When you get custom tunes, tell Bill that you are not going to use E85.

All this will probably make more sense when you get your Gryphon. Be sure to read the manual!

- Jack