Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, February 27th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Double Whopper

Dfishrmn is on a distinguished road
Default On a Lighter Note! A Way to Monitor Air/Fuel Mixture

Is there a way to monitor the air/fuel mixture as a percentage? Maybe in the records area, would fuel and mass air flow monitors give a number that could be calculated? I admit I haven't researched all the record options available but this just occurred to me it may be helpful. I have read in other forums that a ratio of 14:1 is ideal. Is this a stock mixture and our canned/custom tunes are different? I have the same modified stock intake that Jack has and am wondering what the mixture may be and if we are hitting the target area. Just some random thoughts!
Old Sat, February 28th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Let the Mud come!!!

twintips_17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfishrmn View Post
Is there a way to monitor the air/fuel mixture as a percentage? Maybe in the records area, would fuel and mass air flow monitors give a number that could be calculated? I admit I haven't researched all the record options available but this just occurred to me it may be helpful. I have read in other forums that a ratio of 14:1 is ideal. Is this a stock mixture and our canned/custom tunes are different? I have the same modified stock intake that Jack has and am wondering what the mixture may be and if we are hitting the target area. Just some random thoughts!
It all depends on where in the throttle you are. If you are all the way into her, then it mixture will actually go down a bit? I can’t remember the numbers I have seen posted, but it’s almost down to 11:1 at WOT.

I could be wrong about the number but it’s something like that.

14:1 is what I understand as the effect ratio for effect burning and fuel mileage. Not for power. That would be to lean for max HP or torque.

SUPERcrew
AF1, EDGE, and EFANS with Magnaflow Exhast SISO.
Expy Console and Rear Seat Swap! Eagle 16's with 285-75/16 ST's
Gryphon Tuner soon to have custom tunes by PHP!
Old Sat, February 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintips_17 View Post
It all depends on where in the throttle you are. If you are all the way into her, then it mixture will actually go down a bit? I can’t remember the numbers I have seen posted, but it’s almost down to 11:1 at WOT.

14:1 is what I understand as the effect ratio for effect burning and fuel mileage. Not for power. That would be to lean for max HP or torque.
Good info! That's why I was wondering if there is a way to monitor it.
Old Sat, February 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintips_17 View Post

^^all depends on the tune........ I believe 14:64.1 is stoich. At WOT somewhere around that 12:0.1 range is nice! I believe 11:8.1 is close to where optimum TQ is achieved and 12:6.1 is optimum for peak HP......I assume this varies slightly from truck to truck / tune to tune though.

Quote:
Good info! That's why I was wondering if there is a way to monitor it.
I don't know of a way to monitor it like what you want but here is another way to measure it besides taking it to a dyno....
http://www.wbo2.com/
Custom tunes
Old Sat, February 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfishrmn View Post
The stock, canned and custom tunes will obviously all be different. I will say this......if you have done your job and provided Bill with complete and accurate information to write your custom tunes with.........IMO there is no need for you to worry about measuring this!

I guarantee Bill will have your A/F dialed in to ideal ratios at both cruise and WOT. They will be more ideal than the stock tune!

I have looked at my tunes (actually Bill's ) on a dyno and confirmed this to be the case.......atleast with my truck!

Plain and simple........."BILL KNOWS HIS ****"........AND YOU CAN HAVE 100% peace of mind regarding the quality of his work and the extensive effort he puts into all of our tuning
Custom tunes
Old Sat, February 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris74 View Post
The stock, canned and custom tunes will obviously all be different. I will say this......if you have done your job and provided Bill with complete and accurate information to write your custom tunes with.........IMO there is no need for you to worry about measuring this!

I guarantee Bill will have your A/F dialed in to ideal ratios at both cruise and WOT. They will be more ideal than the stock tune!

I have looked at my tunes (actually Bill's ) on a dyno and confirmed this to be the case.......atleast with my truck!

Plain and simple........."BILL KNOWS HIS ****"........AND YOU CAN HAVE 100% peace of mind regarding the quality of his work and the extensive effort he puts into all of our tuning
I have never doubted that. I am just curious.
Old Sun, March 1st, 2009, 08:19 AM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road

If I remember correctly...Bill was saying something about there not being a wideband sensor yet??? Jack/Bill/Corey will step in I am sure and chime in.
Old Sun, March 1st, 2009, 07:09 PM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

At this point there is now way to monitor AFR with the Gryphon. I know you can get stand alone AFR meters from AEM, Innovative Motorsports, and a few others.

Ty

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 12:51 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Edge has mentioned building a wideband O2 sensor similar to the pyrometer that they use on the diesels. Other than the mention of it, I have no information regarding if or when they plan to release one.

Outside of that, I do plan to add the LT & ST Fuel trims as well as O2 voltage. This would at least provide some measure of monitoring whether or not the engine is lean. Again, I don't have a specific time to include this. It's just a matter of when things free up a little bit.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Edge has mentioned building a wideband O2 sensor similar to the pyrometer that they use on the diesels. Other than the mention of it, I have no information regarding if or when they plan to release one.

Outside of that, I do plan to add the LT & ST Fuel trims as well as O2 voltage. This would at least provide some measure of monitoring whether or not the engine is lean. Again, I don't have a specific time to include this. It's just a matter of when things free up a little bit.

Take care.
Wow! and having all that, you'd almost have to have the ability to do a rapid switch between screens, wouldn't you, Bill? At least I'd want that so I could see the other things I like to monitor too.

It never ends, does it?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer