Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, December 31st, 2009, 04:22 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

AZFX4 is on a distinguished road
Default Shift firmness seems weak with custom tunes..

Okay well I've had my custom tunes for a bit now. And when I really get on the gas, it just doesn't shift hard. And when I say hard, I'm comparing that to the canned tunes before.

Stock shift being a 0 and the canned tunes shift being a 10. The custom tunes shift seems like a hiccup, maybe a 4? maybe 5. This is when I step on it.

I do want my truck to last, the tranny and all. But it seems very weak. I know the harder it shifts the less slippage, but if you go to hard it can cause problems which I do not want. The canned tunes would chirp my belt and throw me back in my seat. Custom tunes don't.

JackandJanet has suggested a few things. Like adjusting the firmness up to my liking. But I'm still intimidated to fool around since I haven't had the best of luck.

It's weak on both 87 tow and 87 perf. Not sure if they are suppose to be different.

So, do I have you (Bill) make them firmer, or do I go and up the firmness or will that mess up the custom tunes?

PS. This will sound silly. I do not think it makes a difference at all, just power loss. But with the canned tunes I had a muffler, and well now I don't. And I got my custom tunes AFTER I went straight pipe, this shouldn't affect how hard it shifts correct? I lost backpressure, so I lose some lowend, not weak shift correct?

PSS. I just got done talking with a buddy and he asked me about my ECU getting locked up. I've driven my truck 3 times since then? I've driven it somewhat hard, should I give it more time to learn my driving habits? Or if my shift firmness is weak now, it will still be weak?

Thanks. I appreciate any help.
Old Thu, December 31st, 2009, 08:08 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If you really want I can move this to "calibration requests". OK?
The other thing is WHAT exactly did you do to your exhaust system?
Straight pipe?
If you just did a muffler delete you should be OK.
If you ran tru duals and chopped out the Y then this is where you'd start to lose low end torque.
Cat deletes can also cause low end torque loss.
Old Thu, December 31st, 2009, 11:46 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Lars, I don't think Ryan is actually asking for a tune revision just yet. I think he just would like a second opinion from Bill, and I copied Bill in the last PM Ryan and I had together.

Just so you'll know, my final advice was to drive with the unaltered tunes for a while to get used to everything about them. Then he would be in a better position to describe what he wants.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, January 1st, 2010, 03:02 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

One of the concerns we had with the canned tunes was that it may have been too aggressive on some applications. Because of this, we toned down the shift delay and pressure offsets to provide a little softer feel during a shift. If you'd prefer, I can firm things back up a bit, but I really think you're fine where it's at now. It's really a matter of preference at this point.

Let me know.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 10:16 PM

Okay thanks for the replies and for JackandJanets advice through PM's.

Just a little update. With the canned tunes, I loved the shift. The feel of the shift and belt chirp was pretty sweet.

The few times I was able to do 0-60 times weren't the best but my best time was a 8.61 and others were low 9's.. LAME!

Well being the New Year and all I was at a buddies house out in the boonies sorta with long straight roads. Coming home I setup a 0-60, gunned it and ran a 7.8. I even chirped my tires off the line. So, I'm pretty happy about that. Shift still feels a bit weak but I was able to run in the 7's like I was hoping. I did run it on 87 oct. perf. tune.. so I assume with the 87 oct. tow tune I should beable to peel some time off, maybe a 7.5?? Being more lowend? I'll have to try that next time I get the chance.

I'll leave everything alone for now. JackandJanet mentioned I could make changes to the custom tunes if I really wanted to. Like upping the firmness. Maybe after a while if I decide to go that route.

I do have a question about running the 0-60. My buddy has a Edge and when he runs his 0-60's, even if he surpasses 60mph, it stops at 60mph. When I run it always stops after. When I ran with canned tunes, it would stop at 60.4mph. This morning when I ran the 7.8, it stopped at 61.8mph I believe. Is there a reason for that??? Being digital, I would think the computer could stop it exactly at 60mph and that time.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, and yes it was just a muffler delete sorta. It fell off, Haha.. I know I lose alittle bit of lowend from it. I still have the Y and still have cats.
Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 11:26 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If you still have the Y and cats along with most of the intermediate pipe off the Y the no low end should be lost.

Nice way to delete a muffler! LOL's

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
If you still have the Y and cats along with most of the intermediate pipe off the Y the no low end should be lost.

Nice way to delete a muffler! LOL's
It's the stock piping off the Y that I have. It's exactly where it went into the stock muffler..

Ya, I went mudding and my c-clamp came lose and popped off.. Haha.
Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 04:57 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFX4 View Post
I did run it on 87 oct. perf. tune.. so I assume with the 87 oct. tow tune I should beable to peel some time off, maybe a 7.5?? Being more lowend? I'll have to try that next time I get the chance.
The Tow program has a little more low end but also has shift torque reductions in place, so you may actually lose a little time because of the of the power drop during shifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFX4 View Post
I do have a question about running the 0-60. My buddy has a Edge and when he runs his 0-60's, even if he surpasses 60mph, it stops at 60mph. When I run it always stops after. When I ran with canned tunes, it would stop at 60.4mph. This morning when I ran the 7.8, it stopped at 61.8mph I believe. Is there a reason for that??? Being digital, I would think the computer could stop it exactly at 60mph and that time.
Not sure. I do know that the programmer can only read a few samples per second and a 60.4 wouldn't be a terrible concern, but I certainly wouldn't expect to see anything in the 61.xx range. Do you have anything else installed in your vehicle that could be slowing down the PCM/Programmer communications? I'd be happy to take a look at the firmware, but want to make sure there's no external influence.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, January 4th, 2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Not sure. I do know that the programmer can only read a few samples per second and a 60.4 wouldn't be a terrible concern, but I certainly wouldn't expect to see anything in the 61.xx range. Do you have anything else installed in your vehicle that could be slowing down the PCM/Programmer communications? I'd be happy to take a look at the firmware, but want to make sure there's no external influence.

Take care.
I have nothing else in my truck that is aftermarket besides the Gryphon. Stock stereo and everything.

Bill, would it be to much trouble to firm up my custom tunes?