Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Whopper

GeauxTigers is on a distinguished road
Default LITTLE TROUBLE THIS MORNING ... NEED HELP!!

This morning, when I went to start my truck (I had let it sit for about 24hrs) I noticed when the truck went to turn over, the screen of the Gryphon went to all white for just a split second and the truck didn't turn over on the first crank. So, I turned the truck completely off...went to crank again....turned over this time, but the Gryphon was completely reset. My gearing ratio was wrong, shift points wrong, AMPG reading etc.

So I turned the truck off again , let it sit for a minute, then started it again. Again, it flashed the all white screen ....completely reset itself. So, it didn't just reset once, but it's resetting everytime I turn the truck off and back on again.

What to do....thanks for help. I'll be at work all day, but I heading to the mountains tmrw and need this thing working. Thanks guys !!!

Happy New Years !!
Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 09:48 AM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

Jack or 88 (moderators) will probably answer with, "Check your battery."

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Whopper

Everything seems "ok" with the battery as far as amps go...don't know what else to check.

So, I unhooked the Gryphon from the truck. Plugged it back in (with the truck in accessory position) and programmed my settings back into the truck . It prompted me to turn the key off, then back on, but not starting it....like normal.

I let the truck run for a bit. It sounded pretty bad (knocking). Then turned the truck off.....waited a couple, and started it back to see if it would hold my settings, and it had reset again....

Just some more FYI. Thanks guys !
Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 10:27 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Whenever the programmer resets like that, it's nearly always an indication that the battery voltage is dropping below 9 volts when cranking. The odd thing is that you can have a weak cell in the battery and still be able to crank, but the voltage will drop pretty low. The PCM can handle voltages down to about 8 volts before it has trouble running the engine, but by the time you get that low the engine won't crank anyway so it doesn't matter. I'd seriously give the battery another look.

I don't have any explanation as to the "knocking" you're experiencing, especially if your PCM was already programmed back to stock. It's very possible that the cam phasers were making some noise. They like to rattle a bit until the oil pressure comes up. How cold was it when you started this morning? Temps may be playing a factor in both issues.

Let me know.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 10:45 AM
Whopper

I think the weather channel said 19 was the over night low....with the 20 mph wind .... I'd guess it was closer to 15 or so. So I should definitly look into the battery then....I work at a dealership so I'll get some one of my techs to look at it....keep you updated.

Thanks Bill !
Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Whopper

Battery Replaced...Problem Solved !!

Thanks Again Bill. Happy New Years !!
Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers View Post

Atleast the gryphon let you know before you got stranded somewhere, because they usually go with no notice.
Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 03:25 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Awesome! Glad your back in action now. Funny how that little annoyance can be a lifesaver.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I want to add something here, in case there's a misunderstanding.

Regardless of the symptoms that were reported, there is NO WAY THAT THE PCM GOT REPROGRAMMED by this malfunction. The displays in the Gryphon were possibly set back to the default ones, but that does not effect the tune in the truck. The OP could have simply driven the truck as usual. AND he probably should not have tried to reprogram the truck! The reprogramming process needs a healthy battery to complete properly and he actually risked being stranded with a "partially programmed" PCM by doing what he did.

Dead or dying batteries will not effect the program in the PCM - period! The only way the program can be changed is with a reflashing tool, like the dealer has, or with the Gryphon, that can supply 18 volts to command the PCM to accept the new program.

So, if by chance the OP opened the Custom Options Menu to "check" things like the Gear Ratio, Shift Points and so on, he was actually initiating a new programming session!

DON'T DO THIS! The Custom Options Menu is not there to "check" anything! It is there for you to make small changes to a tune. Any value you "see" in the Custom Options Menu is likely a "default" value or a simple "placeholder" that is meaningless unless you have chosen the "Reload Previous Settings" option as the first step after opening that menu.

And, one more thing. Looking at the output of the alternator with the engine running tells you little or nothing about the health of your battery. If the battery is badly shorted internally the charging voltage will probably be low, but if that's the case, the battery will probably not start the truck either. A "load test" will usually detect a failing battery but sometimes that even gives a "false good" diagnosis.

Of course, if I'm wrong on any of this, people will jump all over me, so, here's their chance!

PS: A lightning stroke or the EMP from a nuclear blast MIGHT "fry" the PCM, which technically could be considered a "reprogram".

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer

Last edited by Jackpine; Sat, January 2nd, 2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Changed EMF to EMP
Old Sat, January 2nd, 2010, 10:37 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

^^^^What he said!!!!^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers View Post

Glad to hear your back on the road again and it was only the battery!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.