Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, April 3rd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Whopper

Ricer X is on a distinguished road
I switched from 04(rectangular fogs) to the 06(round fogs) and I did notice that the 04 fogs gave better light to the sides. I've also ran HIDs in my Super Duty (old truck) for a year and a half with no problems. In the F-150, I've been running them for over two years. I did notice that the stock headlights gave more glare because of all the chrome in the housing in comparison to the HD or similar style. As for the HID being too hot, I actually found that they were colder because they wouldn't melt the frost from the headlights like the halogens do. The halogens are 55(low) 65(high) watts and the HIDs are 35 watts.

Check out the link
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd.../Products/HID/
Old Fri, April 3rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

That's good information Ricer X. Sorry I was spreading false information! :o

35 watts is definitely going to run cooler. I seem to remember some kind of bulb in the housing where the lens melted that was 100 watts. Wonder what it was?

From all the posts on f150Online, HIDs seem a bit tricky to install. Any opinions here on the subject? (Or, is it just that some of the guys trying it don't have a clue what they're doing? I noticed most of the problems seemed to be talked about in the "Appearance" thread).

- Jack
Old Fri, April 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Whopper

Hello Jack,
HIDs are easy to install: plug and go.
The steps are as follows.
(1) Connent the harnesses together in the kit,
(2) run the red power wire from the wiring harness to the positive side of the battery, and
(3) run the black wire to the chassis for ground.

The light from the HIDs increases visibility in rain, snow, and foggy conditions.
I notice light snow and fog first in oncoming traffic lights before I notice it from my lights (less reflection back).

Leonard
Old Fri, April 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Leonard - you're being very non-condemning in your reply, aren't you?

My opinion, without naming names or slinging arrows at anyone, is that some people really should not try to do some of these modifications! You DO have to understand a few things about electrical circuits, don't you?

I've never investigated these things at all, so I was only reporting on problems I had read about in the other forum. You've pretty much confirmed something I've suspected for a long time - if you can follow directions and use common sense, you'll be OK.

When I have some time and more money, I may investigate them more fully!

Thanks for the clear, straightforward post!

- Jack
Old Fri, April 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

So Leonard,

It's just that easy?

What kind or kit did you get and install?

What was the output?

Were they the single or the high low ones?

Analog or digital style balasts?

Sorry for the questions just trying to narrow my decisions.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, April 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Bacon King

DarrenWS6 is on a distinguished road

Stock lamps painted is the best custom looking housing in my opinion.

HIDs are the best remedy for advanced lighting in all frontal lights. Specifially 6000k for the sweet ice clear look, and the clarity is super smooth. Xenon is even better when you get to keep your hi-beams ( a must when I get HIDs )

I like the 04 - 05 rectangular fogs much better, especially when they're painted to match black headlamps. I noticed no loss at all with my painted headlamps, if anything it lost 2% light. The fogs lost maybe only 15%, I painted the top and bottom portions but left the reflective squares alone.
Old Mon, April 6th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Bacon King

Desert Racer is on a distinguished road

6000k Hids from retro solutions with stock headlights painted black. No joke people on the freeway at night move over when I am coming! I love these lights and makes me feel like a kid. People adjust mirror's switch lanes speed up do whatever than can do dodge them and they have tinted windows as well. Everytime it is dark out I prefer to drive and this light up the night like no other I can see road signs from a 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. I just smile ear to ear at night. Best one to date yet I pulled up behind a police car and follwed him for a mile than he got next to me and let me be.
Old Mon, April 6th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Whopper

Sorry Lars, I took so long to get back to you.

What kind or kit did you get and install?
-Helios for headlights and Beamers for fogs

What was the output?
-8000k Headlights (looks more like 6000k)
-10,000k fogs (looks more like 6000k)

Were they the single or the high low ones?
-yes sliding high/lows

Analog or digital style balasts?
-headlights analog
-fogs digital

Leonard