Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sun, December 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Double Whopper

Mark_123 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pump squeal....

OK, so I've never really had to turn my truck on and off and on without starting before getting my Gryphon. This may have been happening since I bought the truck, so I just wanted some opinions. When I turn my key to "on" without starting, I hear the fuel pump power up normally. When the pump stops (after just a second or two), it makes a squeal like sound as it stops. Is this normal??? Are there any particular readings I should monitor in my Gryphon (Fuel Rail Pressure) to be sure the pump is OK? Like I said, this may have been here since day 1, I just normally didn't turn my key to "on" and wait to listen for it. Thanks for any opinion.

Mark
Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Double Whopper

So the Fuel Rail Pressure stays at or around 40 during all throttle positions. I guess that is OK?
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 08:43 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_123 View Post
So the Fuel Rail Pressure stays at or around 40 during all throttle positions. I guess that is OK?
Sounds at least like it's able to keep up with the demand. I don't know that I've ever paid any attention at all to my fuel pump. I certainly don't hear a squeal sound. I suppose if I were you, I'd just check it at the ON (motor not running position) from time to time to verify that the sound is not getting worse, and maybe keep monitoring the fuel pressure.

You might want to ask this question on the f150 Engine Forum. There's probably more people with better advice there than you'll find on this new, "specialized" forum.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Fuel pressure should be a constant 40 PSI on a naturally aspirated vehicle.

As for noise from the fuel pump, if there's any sound coming from the pump that is loud enough for you to be concerned, then you should probably be concerned. I know my pump is audible with the engine off, but only slightly. I can't hear it with the engine running.

Also. a quick trip to the local garage or (Heaven forbid) the Ford dealer to get an opinion wouldn't hurt. They would be able to better advice if the sound is a signal of impending failure.

Good luck.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!

Last edited by Corey Cohron RIP; Wed, February 11th, 2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Double Whopper

Thanks...I was wondering if 40 was standard/OK. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now.
Old Wed, February 11th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

04FX4 is on a distinguished road

I asked the same question. What I did was went to my friends exact same truck and listened to his, and it has the same sound. You will ony hear it when you open the door and listen for it when just turning the key to " on " postion. It is just the sound of the fuel pump primimg up.