Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

After thinking about it, I can see the appeal of taking it out of O/D in windy conditions. It wont feel like you ran into a wall if a strong gust hits you. I occasionally take the truck out of O/D in the city where my speed ranges from 5-45 mph. I'll even shift into 2nd if traffic is bad. I remember that locking it into 1st gear came in handy when I was hauling 3 kayaks and gear (plus an almost full ice chest ) through Austin during rush hour.

So then on the newer ones is 6th gear O/D? I havent seen the new ratios, but I know they are floating on the internet somewhere. Time to go cyberfishing.
(I bet Bill is completely thrilled about the two extra gears he needs to tune for)
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 08:49 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
After thinking about it, I can see the appeal of taking it out of O/D in windy conditions. It wont feel like you ran into a wall if a strong gust hits you. I occasionally take the truck out of O/D in the city where my speed ranges from 5-45 mph. I'll even shift into 2nd if traffic is bad. I remember that locking it into 1st gear came in handy when I was hauling 3 kayaks and gear (plus an almost full ice chest ) through Austin during rush hour.

So then on the newer ones is 6th gear O/D? I havent seen the new ratios, but I know they are floating on the internet somewhere. Time to go cyberfishing.
(I bet Bill is completely thrilled about the two extra gears he needs to tune for)
I'm sure Bill's overjoyed.

I don't have the new ratios at the tip of my fingers, but my understanding is they were added below the current O/D ratio - so it remains the same. I don't know if they added a "super low", or if it stayed the same too, and they just added two extra ranges in between the top and the bottom.

I think for towing, I'd appreciate the extra "granularity". I often find 3rd gear too weak, but then 2nd gear is too strong. it needs something in between. However, when not towing, the 4-speed seems fine to me.

Wonder if it's possible to "skip" some of the intermediate gearing when not towing? (In other words, shift more like a 4-speed).

- Jack
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I don't have the new ratios at the tip of my fingers, but my understanding is they were added below the current O/D ratio - so it remains the same. I don't know if they added a "super low", or if it stayed the same too, and they just added two extra ranges in between the top and the bottom.

I think for towing, I'd appreciate the extra "granularity". I often find 3rd gear too weak, but then 2nd gear is too strong. it needs something in between. However, when not towing, the 4-speed seems fine to me.

Wonder if it's possible to "skip" some of the intermediate gearing when not towing? (In other words, shift more like a 4-speed).

- Jack
Hmm, you got me thinking so I did some digging. I just read an article and it sounds like you can skip gears.
Kept digging further and I found rumors that said they were 3.97, 2.32, 1.52, 1.15, .86, .67
I kinda like the new ratios if they are true. I would like a lower 1st and two O/D gears for better mileage at higher speeds. But the guys who want to dyno them are going to have even more issues. Our transmission has a 1:1 ratio in 3rd, looks like the newer one doesn't even have a 1:1 ratio. They say it jumps from 1.15 to the .86. And I guess to lower the shock of the shifts they are adding lower axle combos to go with it.

Here is where I found most of the information, its a pretty good article if you have time to read it.
I might jump ship - Diesel Place

Wow, its really looking like Bill has a lot on his plate for JUST the transmissions, not to mention they have 2 4.6s(I'm wondering how they souped up the high power one), the 5.4 and the 6+ liter engines.
I'm not sure how he's going to get all the shifting stratagies right on the new 6R140s because Ford is leaving all kinds of controls open to the driver. (probably so when something goes boom they can point the finger at the owner quicker)

On ours we can go in and pick where the truck shifts and locks with the 1st, 2nd and O/D. But now the driver can also make the stock truck skip every other gear or lock out the top O/D. I'm not sure how he'll be able to account for that.
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 11:29 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
Hmm, you got me thinking so I did some digging. I just read an article and it sounds like you can skip gears.
Kept digging further and I found rumors that said they were 3.97, 2.32, 1.52, 1.15, .86, .67
I kinda like the new ratios if they are true. I would like a lower 1st and two O/D gears for better mileage at higher speeds. But the guys who want to dyno them are going to have even more issues. Our transmission has a 1:1 ratio in 3rd, looks like the newer one doesn't even have a 1:1 ratio. They say it jumps from 1.15 to the .86. And I guess to lower the shock of the shifts they are adding lower axle combos to go with it.

Here is where I found most of the information, its a pretty good article if you have time to read it.
I might jump ship - Diesel Place

Wow, its really looking like Bill has a lot on his plate for JUST the transmissions, not to mention they have 2 4.6s(I'm wondering how they souped up the high power one)ones a 2v and the other is a 3v, the 5.4 and the 6+ liter engines.
I'm not sure how he's going to get all the shifting stratagies right on the new 6R140s because Ford is leaving all kinds of controls open to the driver. (probably so when something goes boom they can point the finger at the owner quicker)No more od on off button. The button is now the tow/haul selector and it changes the tranny strategies.

On ours we can go in and pick where the truck shifts and locks with the 1st, 2nd and O/D. But now the driver can also make the stock truck skip every other gear or lock out the top O/D. I'm not sure how he'll be able to account for that.
Some answers in red
Here's a link to a recent thread on the tow/haul button:http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/2009-...overdrive.html

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, January 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Forum Predator

Maybe we should all add "the little red button" off of Men In Black to our trucks so when someone that is used to the new trucks asks, "what does that do?" we can push it and go zooooooom...thanks to the automatic downshift.