Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 11:47 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
The max is actually 44psi. I have General Ameritrac's
My mistake! Stay with 40 psi. Overinflating invites a blowout, and, premature treadwear in the middle of the tread.

- Jack
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Bacon King

DarrenWS6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
My mistake! Stay with 40 psi. Overinflating invites a blowout, and, premature treadwear in the middle of the tread.

- Jack
Precisely. I was considering dropping it to 35psi but I have a road trip coming up tomorrow, so i'll keep them up at 40 for the highway ride. Riding them at 40 for the past 8 months like I have has taken alot of life out of them, and the one burn out I did last year didn't help lol.

As far as the tire size, I think i'm well set now, I did the same route and I hit 2.9 miles when I parked, and I re-set the OD when I was going 55 so i'll trust it.
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 07:04 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

If you are certain the EXACT distance is 3.0, seeing 2.9 on the odometer says now that your TS is too small, by about 0.1/3.0 x 100 = 3%. So, you may want to add back in about 70 mm making the TS equal to 2480 and see how that works. My guess is though, that the distance may not be precisely 3.0 miles.

It's a bit of trial and error to get it dead right, but it CAN be done. On your road trip, pay attention to the highway mileage markers. Over a longish distance, they are quite accurate. Here in Arizona, I calibrated my speedo by noting what the odometer recorded after 100 miles of interstate driving. I was within 0.1 miles, which is an error of only one-tenth of a percent. Using long distances minimizes error.

Another way to get it "close" is to "pace" someone with an accurate speedometer. Use the readout for speed on the Gryphon (the dash speedo will always be about 2 mph above that). If your pace car is at 70, and you read 71, your tire size is about 1/70 x 100 = 1.4% too big.

I'm guessing that 17 inch rims were standard on your truck and that possibly your current tires are OEM size? If so, what was the Ford recommended pressure for the tires? It should be shown on the VIN sticker on the driver's door and there might be a sticker on the fuel door.

- Jack
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Bacon King

DarrenWS6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
If you are certain the EXACT distance is 3.0, seeing 2.9 on the odometer says now that your TS is too small, by about 0.1/3.0 x 100 = 3%. So, you may want to add back in about 70 mm making the TS equal to 2480 and see how that works. My guess is though, that the distance may not be precisely 3.0 miles.

It's a bit of trial and error to get it dead right, but it CAN be done. On your road trip, pay attention to the highway mileage markers. Over a longish distance, they are quite accurate. Here in Arizona, I calibrated my speedo by noting what the odometer recorded after 100 miles of interstate driving. I was within 0.1 miles, which is an error of only one-tenth of a percent. Using long distances minimizes error.

Another way to get it "close" is to "pace" someone with an accurate speedometer. Use the readout for speed on the Gryphon (the dash speedo will always be about 2 mph above that). If your pace car is at 70, and you read 71, your tire size is about 1/70 x 100 = 1.4% too big.

I'm guessing that 17 inch rims were standard on your truck and that possibly your current tires are OEM size? If so, what was the Ford recommended pressure for the tires? It should be shown on the VIN sticker on the driver's door and there might be a sticker on the fuel door.

- Jack
I'll try it one more time then re-adjust it. My wheels and tires are stock, 17" and 255/70/17 Generals. 35psi is whats factory recommended.
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 08:41 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
I'll try it one more time then re-adjust it. My wheels and tires are stock, 17" and 255/70/17 Generals. 35psi is whats factory recommended.
OK then, use the factory recommended pressure. Mine is 40 psi, but I have bigger wheels and tires. 40 is "safe", but it can cause wear on the center of the tread, in your case.

- Jack