Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Double Whopper

jerodr is on a distinguished road

This morning I did do a recalibration of my level 2 custom settings before I washed my truck. When I started the truck the engine wasn't cold cold but it wasn't warm either(I had driven it shortly a couple hours before). And the funny thing is I did do a quick shift from reverse to drive followed by quick throttle and it happened at that instant. However my truck is an 04 not an 05 like in the tsb. So I looked up the tsb for an 04 it is says that it is possible to have to replace the throttle position sensor. I think I did experience that "rare occasion" but I am wondering now if the tps is causing my throttle delay also that I was concerned about. Thanks Bill and Jack for all your help.

Jerod
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 08:30 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

You MAY have found the problem Jerod. I did a search and came up with this page that tells you how to test the TPS, how it works and how to replace it. http://members.fortunecity.com/slade...iagnostics.htm It appears to be a "generic" piece of information that applies to most all units, not just ones on Fords.

But now, the bad news: My Haynes manual says the TPS is not removable on 2004 4.6L or 5.4L V8 models. To replace the TPS on these models, you have to replace the electronic throttle body assembly. So, curing the hesitation, if caused by the TPS, might be a bit of a major operation.

I'd sure try to test the voltage output of the thing first (if possible). As the sensor moves from the closed to open position, you want a smooth increase in voltage, with no spikes or drops.

I hope someone else has another thought that might be an easier, and presumably, less expensive route!

- Jack
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Double Whopper

I actually went to oreilly's auto parts website(out of curiosity) and found the tps sensors there for under $50.00 so that's kind of weird if that is true what you say. There are three different one on there though: one for L eng code, 3 eng code, and 5 eng code and it says you must have the right one. I'm not sure how to locate the right one. Last night I went out to my truck and set accelerator pedal position as one of my pids on the gryphon. With my truck in neutral I determined how far I had to push it before the rpms moved at all. I finally came up with 7% accelerator depression before the rpms moved AT ALL. To get the rpms to go up considerably it had to be more around 9-10%. I have a feeling that yours(Jack) is much lower. Hopefully Bill will chime in on this.

Jerod
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I hope Bill does too. I tried looking for the engine code in the VIN - and it's not there. It doesn't appear to be on the door sticker either (but I may not be recognizing it if it does).

I wonder if the accelerator position is measuring accelerator position or if it's getting its reading from the TPS? (And, I'd bet on the TPS). If I'm right, and the position changes "smoothly" with accelerator movement, you've discovered a super easy way to test the TPS and, it sounds like your TPS is ok. So, the next question is why the RPMs don't go up until you get about 7%.

If, the TPS is registering open and the RPMs don't change, then that DOES sound like something that could possibly be a programming fault in the PCM, doesn't it?

Like you, I hope the Mad Doctor comes in on this. I think you've done a good job in troubleshooting and reporting of the symptoms.

- Jack
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 10:18 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I also forgot to mention this thread....

http://www.f150online.com/forums/chi...t-numbers.html

This was regarding a full throttle body replacement on an '04. There are apparently plenty 'o issues with the earlier throttle bodies and they have been updated to a new version.

Hope these help.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Double Whopper

Later today i'm going to take a look at my throttle body to see what number it is(i'm sure its the old one). I'm not really all that fond of replacing the throttle body but I guess if I have to I will. I would like to try something else before that like custom tunes if it would help at all. The truck runs fine right now and it never had any problems before the programming so i'm not sure the right direction here.

Jerod
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 11:55 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodr View Post
Later today i'm going to take a look at my throttle body to see what number it is(i'm sure its the old one). I'm not really all that fond of replacing the throttle body but I guess if I have to I will. I would like to try something else before that like custom tunes if it would help at all. The truck runs fine right now and it never had any problems before the programming so i'm not sure the right direction here.

Jerod
If it's the old one, then I suppose you are looking at a replacement. On the bright side, the new one will be nice and clean!

I wish Bill had commented on what you found by monitoring the "accelerator" position though. (I imagine he was in a hurry to get back to writing tunes and didn't read through our rather lengthy conversation).

- Jack
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Double Whopper

I think that I am going to wait on the throttle body because everything is running fine. If the problem gets worse then I will reconsider, but for now everything seems to be working fine. I'm hopeful that I just happened to stumble upon the right sequence of events for it to happen.
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 07:34 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodr View Post
I think that I am going to wait on the throttle body because everything is running fine. If the problem gets worse then I will reconsider, but for now everything seems to be working fine. I'm hopeful that I just happened to stumble upon the right sequence of events for it to happen.
Oh - DO NOT jump into a throttle body change with no more information than this! (That sounds like a whole lot of "double negatives", doesn't it)? In your place, I'd just sit tight and see what happens.

- Jack
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Double Whopper

Yep thats the plan...thanks for all your help Jack

Jerod