Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, January 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Canadian

tohi2care is on a distinguished road
Custom tunes not found

Hey Bill, I updated the gryphon to the latest firmware (as of 12/06/2008) and I did not hit enter on the gryphon itself before I unplugged the usb cable after the update finished. I checked the Targeted functions and could not find my custom Calibrations only this message " Unable to locate a Target Instruction file. Process failed Update failed. Please contact your vendor for assistance." Not sure if I had done something wrong I re-updated the gryphon making sure to hit enter on the unit and then it said it could not find the ECM. What did I do wrong? I knew this would happen:sniffle: I havn't plugged the gryphon back into the truck as I'm a little freaked I might do somthing else wrong. Also, is there a date stamp or something that is built into the custom tunes or a list of when the tunes were actually finished just so people who are not sure whether they can update thier firmware to the latest version can see if thier tunes will be compatable? This is day two with no gryphon Now my truck feels so slugish and unresponsive.

Last edited by tohi2care; Tue, January 13th, 2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old Wed, January 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

There are pretty good download instructions on a sticky in the Pegasus thread if you wanna check them out. Bill won't be around until later. A customer in Utah has been having an issue with his truck so Bill's going by to see if he can help. I believe it's about an hour each way, so it'll be awhile until he can answer...

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, January 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohi2care View Post
Hey Bill, I updated the gryphon to the latest firmware (as of 12/06/2008) and I did not hit enter on the gryphon itself before I unplugged the usb cable after the update finished. I checked the Targeted functions and could not find my custom Calibrations only this message " Unable to locate a Target Instruction file. Process failed Update failed. Please contact your vendor for assistance." Not sure if I had done something wrong I re-updated the gryphon making sure to hit enter on the unit and then it said it could not find the ECM. What did I do wrong? I knew this would happen:sniffle: I havn't plugged the gryphon back into the truck as I'm a little freaked I might do somthing else wrong. Also, is there a date stamp or something that is built into the custom tunes or a list of when the tunes were actually finished just so people who are not sure whether they can update thier firmware to the latest version can see if thier tunes will be compatable? This is day two with no gryphon Now my truck feels so slugish and unresponsive.
I KNOW Bill can fix this, so don't worry!

I think, once you've downloaded your custom tune files, you'll no longer see any "Target Instruction File", because it's already on your Gryphon. And, updating will fail.

I've done both - I've hit <Enter> after the download and update and another time, I simply unplugged the Gryphon. I think you're actually good to go and can reinstall it on your truck, but, to be safe, let the Mad Doctor chime in here.

My guess is, if it seems to function normally when plugged into the truck, things are all right.

-Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, January 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Canadian

I just wanted to add that the first thing I did after reading through the download instructions PDF & installing all the drivers for Pegasus I checked pegasus for updates then ran the Gryphon update. I tried to just update the drivers using the Update Firmware Only button but Pegasus stated that my old calibrations were not going to work with my new Firmware so I was better off choosing Update All FIles(not in these words obviously lol). I did that and when it was all done the manual stated to press enter on the Gryphon and I forgot about that and simply unpluged the Gryphon. I then Proceeded to check for the Targated Functions and recieved the above message.

And now I sit, thinking that maybe the new tunes were updated when I pressed the update all button in the Gryphon update section.
Old Thu, January 8th, 2009, 10:19 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Since Bill hasn't answered you, at least here, I'm going to see if I can't make sense of this. If he PM'd you, then we'll see how good my advice is.

You first installed and made sure Pegasus was fully up to date - right?

Then, when Pegasus saw your Gryphon, it told you not to update just the firmware but instead, to "update everything" and you did that.

Now, did you notice any kind of notification of what was being updated as this process took place? I don't expect you to remember exactly what you saw, but did you see several files being written? If so, they're most likely in your Gryphon safely and there's no problem.

Now here's what I'd do and I can't see how this would hurt anything - until you actually change the tune in your truck, the Gryphon is just a monitor and cannot do any damage. Take your Gryphon to the truck, turn the ignition to ON and plug the Gryphon in to the OBDII port. You should see the truck's HEX code, and after you hit enter, you may possibly get some kind of "warning" that you have to hit enter to get past (and I may have the order of these reversed - I remember seeing both though after a Gryphon update).

In any case, keep hitting <enter> till you get to the PID display screen. If the unit has been updated I think you'll see the 4 default values: I think they are RPM, MPH, ECT and TFT (but I could be mistaken on the last two). And, you should see that you're at level 0.

If you get at least this far, you know the unit is functioning properly and I'd bet it's ok to proceed. If it doesn't let you get to this point, then Bill WILL have to help you.

Now I'd try pushing <Menu> and then Power Programming. In my case, Bill has renamed the custom tune choices. If you see choices like:
Lvl 1 - Trans. Only
Lvl 2 - Towing
Lvl 3 - Performance
then I think it's likely you have lost any custom tunes you had and again, will have to talk to Bill to get them back. (I did this, so don't worry, you won't be the first, or the last to do this). :o

But, if the tune names are different, then I'd be very confident that you are good to go and can go ahead and select any tune you'd like.

But remember, until you actually choose a non-stock tune and tell the unit to write that tune to the PCM (by turning the key off and then back on), you HAVE NOT done anything to your truck! (And it's the expensive piece of hardware here). I really think you could probably even just unplug the Gryphon at the "turn key off then on" point to interrupt the programming and prevent damage. (This MIGHT cause the Gryphon to become unusable till reprogrammed though, however, I doubt even that would happen).

I really think the only time there could be possible problems is if you disconnect the Gryphon or interrupt the programming as the PCM is being written. And, I bet even that is correctable.

Let us know what happens though, and if Bill has already helped you, tell us all if I was close to being right.

- Jack
Old Thu, January 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Canadian

Well some good news is I plaugged the ole Gryphon in this morning and everything is working fine. I did notice with the new firmware that the Instant and Average MPG are now Instant and Average Economy and the numbers are a little conservative I think. I used to get no more than 15.5mpg and today I almost hit 17mpg on the highway, or the stock tunes are improved. I never got my custom tunes when they were ready do to an e-mail mis-hap which I found out after I recieved an e-mail from Bill telling me that after going through a database, I still had not downloaded my custom tunes. How does one find out when there custom tunes are made? like a date stamp or something?
Old Thu, January 8th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

It's on our computers, obviously, but I believe that information is part of the encrypted calibrations; it's not something that would be accessible to customers. :sadface:

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Thu, January 8th, 2009, 08:59 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohi2care View Post
I did notice with the new firmware that the Instant and Average MPG are now Instant and Average Economy and the numbers are a little conservative I think. I used to get no more than 15.5mpg and today I almost hit 17mpg on the highway, or the stock tunes are improved...

...How does one find out when there custom tunes are made? like a date stamp or something?
We don't have a way to date stamp the files so that the end user can tell when they were built. I'll look into what is involved in doing that and see if we can get some feature built into Pegasus to handle that.

One thing you can do is check your Cal version from the [Version Info] menu in [Tech Support]. If the serial number begins with "0.0." and last few digits of your calibration match your serial number (or your invoice number), then the file set you have is your "custom" file set. If it begins with "1.02." and ends in a number between 0 and 999, then it's the "canned" tuning.

As for the fuel economy, all we changed was the name. We have not done any rescaling or otherwise changed the way it is calculated. I ran ours on the Expedition last month and found that it was more accurate than the vehicle's own trip computer... by about .8 MPG!

Check your file versions in the unit and if you still don't have your custom files then pm me your number and I can walk you through the update.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, January 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Canadian

No custom tunes just canned.
Old Sat, January 10th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post

Check your file versions in the unit and if you still don't have your custom files then pm me your number and I can walk you through the update.

Hope this helps.
Did you do this?

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019