Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sun, January 11th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Canadian

tohi2care is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
Did you do this?
Yes. There are canned tune only. Still cannot find custom tunes going through Pegasus and [targeted function] in the update section. I will not be home Sunday, I am going skiing to Mt.Baker and I won't be home on weekdays till 4:30-5pm pst.
Old Mon, January 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Canadian

When should I expect a phone call or can you guys figure out what the problem is on your end?
Old Mon, January 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

For those of you following this thread, the custom tunes were targeting the wrong serial number. No worries...

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, January 13th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Canadian

As stated above, I recieved a welcomed phone call from Bill. The first thing he asked was what is my serial number and after I gave him the one on my unit he sounded a little confused. So after plugging my Gryphon into Pegasus (sounds kinky) and confirmed my serial number was recorded incorrectly one mouse click and the "problem" was solved. Thanks again to the PHP team for thier continued over the top customer support. I'll give my personal experience of the tunes in a couple days. Thanks

Last edited by tohi2care; Tue, January 20th, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old Fri, January 16th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Canadian

Well I have been trying out the different tunes and I'm not sure what to think. I can say that there is definatley a difference from the canned tunes, but between the 87 performance and 87 towing I can't really tell the difference. I can tell the 87 economy shifts alot sooner and softer but my milage didn't really go up compared to the other custom tunes, in fact I get my best milage with the performance tune. I haven't hooked up my boat to test the towing tune but with no load it behaves very similar to the performance tune. I was also recieving a very unusual shift from first to second when accellerating from a stop, pedal to the floor. It feels like the truck is losing fuel pressure from 2500-5000rpm and then when the shift is supposed to happen it feels like all power is lost and magically returns with a CRAZY hard shift in both the performance and towing tunes. It did not happen at all with economy tune or when returned to stock. I say it seems asthough fuel pressure is lost because it feels the same way (acceleration wise not shifting) as when the truck is reading low fuel on the info center and I punch it and the truck surges obviously from fuel moving away from the pick-up in the tank. I tried to reproduce the same situation today but could not thankfully. I think it could be related to my fuel filter not being changed for about 30,000 kms, so I am getting it changed next week.

Is it possible to get say a "build sheet" of our tunes to see what was adjusted and by how much compared to stock?
Old Tue, January 20th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Canadian

Bump
Old Tue, January 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohi2care View Post
Well I have been trying out the different tunes and I'm not sure what to think. I can say that there is definatley a difference from the canned tunes, but between the 87 performance and 87 towing I can't really tell the difference. I can tell the 87 economy shifts alot sooner and softer but my milage didn't really go up compared to the other custom tunes, in fact I get my best milage with the performance tune. I haven't hooked up my boat to test the towing tune but with no load it behaves very similar to the performance tune. I was also recieving a very unusual shift from first to second when accellerating from a stop, pedal to the floor. It feels like the truck is losing fuel pressure from 2500-5000rpm and then when the shift is supposed to happen it feels like all power is lost and magically returns with a CRAZY hard shift in both the performance and towing tunes. It did not happen at all with economy tune or when returned to stock. I say it seems asthough fuel pressure is lost because it feels the same way (acceleration wise not shifting) as when the truck is reading low fuel on the info center and I punch it and the truck surges obviously from fuel moving away from the pick-up in the tank. I tried to reproduce the same situation today but could not thankfully. I think it could be related to my fuel filter not being changed for about 30,000 kms, so I am getting it changed next week.

Is it possible to get say a "build sheet" of our tunes to see what was adjusted and by how much compared to stock?

Well, as for the MPG's what you are describing sounds about right and is usually how it goes between perf. and mpg tunes and why most that I know do not get the MPG tune. I am sure Bill will pop in here and explain things for you in a detailed manner with his massive intellect.

As for the build sheet? I have had Justin (VMP) fix a few things for me, but never asked him for his tunes specifics. I have had people try and have me get it for them so they can "fix" certain issues a while back . I would think that asking for a detailed build sheet would be like asking for a copyright. It is like a piece of art or an invention. If you give the inner secrets away you would be out of business.

I am sure that Bill can diagnose what the fuel issue is and get it squared away for you.

Don't take this the wrong way, just sharing my thoughts
Old Wed, January 21st, 2009, 01:24 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohi2care View Post

A build sheet? Doubtful. There are simply too many parameters to begin listing down all the modifications. I could give you a rough idea of what was changed but the details are simply too involved.

The biggest difference between 87 Tow and 87 Performance is fuel curve, shift torque mgmt., and minor shifting adjustments. As for the 87 economy, the shifts are early and unless you drive like grandma you may not see much improvement. Even then, it's tricky. If you decide you don't like te economy program and want something else, I'd be happy to replace the file for you.

As for the "fuel" issue? It could be related to the Open Loop fuel curve, the MAF transfer curve, or even something that simply corrected itself after the computer had a chance to relearn some of the strategy. All I can offer at this point is if you experience the issue again, let me know so we can investigate it and make any necessary changes.

The crazy hard shift probably occurred because the PCM is expeting a certain amount of torque output from the engine and bases the shift timing and pressure on those values to achieve the desired slip. If for some reason the engine output falls off just before or during the shift, the shift will then become overly aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityFX4 View Post
I am sure Bill will pop in here and explain things for you in a detailed manner with his massive intellect.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, January 21st, 2009, 09:57 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityFX4 View Post
I would think that asking for a detailed build sheet would be like asking for a copyright. It is like a piece of art or an invention. If you give the inner secrets away you would be out of business.
Don't take this the wrong way, just sharing my thoughts
There's a reason that only two people in the whole world know the recipe for the Colonel's 11 herbs and spices and why it's kept in a safe!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, January 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
There's a reason that only two people in the whole world know the recipe for the Colonel's 11 herbs and spices and why it's kept in a safe!

Understandable. I don't want you blend of herbs and spices I'm just looking as Bill posted a rough idea of what is changed so I understand more of how they are different. I thought it could also be that making custom tunes all around using 87 octane fuel there is only so much you can do. Perhaps I should have gone with one 94 octane tune but I got what I got so for now I'll live with it. Definatly seeing about a 2mpg gain all around but for now it's staying on the performance tune.