Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

I've posted this link on other forums, but this is the easiest and most accurate way to track/monitor MPG (if you have a PC and Excel):

Gas Mileage Calculator and Mileage Log for Excel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-01-12 MPG.jpg (76.1 KB, 4 views)

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 09:33 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Shotgun, what MIGHT be instructive would be to add a "Cumulative MPG" column (total miles/total gallons) to see if it came any closer to the digital readings. It would also tend to eliminate variances due to wind, hills, driving speeds, etc.

To be really useful, I think I'd try to separate the towing periods from the non-towing periods (which you could do with a simple boolean switch - key off a "Y" in a "towing" column or something).

You have the data, so it would be an easy mod and enhancement to your current display - I'd have to start from scratch, since I always do mine by hand on the back of a gas receipt.

- Jack
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Gryphon CTS

Good feedback!

The very bottom row lists cumlative totals and the AVG MPG (based on total miles/total gallons). I reset the truck computer MPG each time I fill up. The bottom row also lists the average truck computer reading (average for each tank). I thought about doing a weighted average based on miles travelled, but realized it was more of a pain than it was really worth...

I seriously considered the towing column/boolean switch, but I rarely get the chance to fill-up before and after the towing trip (when I'm fishing it's too damn early and when I'm done I'm too damn tired). Obviously this means that most of the time the tank is a part towing/part not calculation.

At least you're not using your palm pilot...

When I get my CTS, I will have to add a new column or two for the CTS AVG MPG and difference from actual. The CTS procurement request is currently at the War Department and is under consideration...

Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Shotgun,
My request is constantly getting denied at the congressional level. They're claiming lack of funding along with over spending!
How does that work?
LOL's

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Gryphon CTS

After 25 years of marriage bliss (Dec 29th ), I have only partially figured out the appropriations process.

Unfortunately every time I think I really have it figured out, I am rebuffed with a big fat denial.

I do know that approvals usually involve trading (similar to Congressional funding bills). What I don't know is how to offer anything to the party that already has everything and controls all the extra funds anyway.

After serious contemplation, several studies, and third party evaluations, I decided there is only one course of action - BEG!

Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 05:53 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I think both of you need to convene the legislature to pass a law creating separate budget lines (or perhaps just use the wartime supplemental process to fund for critical emergencies like these). Don't forget, deficit spending is good for the economy right now. It needs all the stimulus you can give it!

And Shotgun, I didn't notice the cumulative mpg cell. Maybe because my old eyes were having trouble resolving the small image. Nevertheless, you kind of prompted me to get off my lazy backside and create a tracking table with similar features. I almost always start towing with a full tank, and I tend to fill up right after a towing period, so I WILL keep track of them separately. I liked your cost/mile column too. It would help some people answer the old question, "Would I be better off using high octane gas?"

I think you're using the dashboard avg mpg values (that you reset)? I don't know how many samples it needs to "stabilize" but Bill has said the Gryphon needs 100,000 samples, at one per second, which works out to close to four tankfuls in average driving. Resetting that display at each fillup sort of "skews" the numbers.

- Jack

Last edited by Jackpine; Tue, January 12th, 2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Changed "five tankfuls" to "four".
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Gryphon CTS

LOL at the stimulus funding. Hell, I'm lucky if I can get my beer funded!

I did not know that about the message center MPG. I will leave it alone and see what happens.

If the chairman of the War Department agrees to the CTS procurement (oh please, please, please) I will do the same thing from day one (I will keep track of tune level too).

I suspect I will end up with the same tunes as you Jack - custom economy, custom 87 tow, and canned 93 performance (will probably never use this one).

Thanks for tip!

Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM
PHP Groupie

It helps to have separate revenue sources for the two parties. We do, which makes funding the needs of each party somewhat easier. The negotiations of course then concern themselves with "combined" spending. However, our form of government maintains separate motor pools, and each branch has to come up with the funds for O&M of each.

I just made a tiny change to my previous post, by the way. 100,000 samples is closer to four tankfuls than five. And, I KNOW (from monitoring the dash Avg MPG display and comparing it to the Gryphon's) that the dash display is more sensitive to change than the Gryphon, suggesting that it uses a smaller sample size. Still, resetting at each fillup may give misleading results. But, I dunno?

- Jack
Old Thu, January 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Whopper

GeauxTigers is on a distinguished road

Jack- I went ahead and did what you guys suggested , but I'm having a problem with the truck going in to overdrive in 3rd gear. So, when I'm cruising in 2nd or 3rd gear (usually just 3rd gear) I go from roughly 1000 rpms to 1800+ rpms...and back and forth, until I either speed up to 50 mph + or slow down drastically.

Here's what I did in my Gryphon settings so you can address the problem directly:

Shifting
1-2 -2
2-3 -3
3-4 -5
4-3 -5
3-2 -3
2-1 -2

Std. Conv. ---> I put all the allowances to the maximum negative number for each of the gears (8; 2 for each gear).

Let me know which gear(s) I should change and by how much.

My guess: Change the gear converter for gears 1-3 back to 0 and just change gear 4. OR change 1-2 gears back to 0 and just change gears 3 & 4 to the maximum alllowance ... Thanks guys !

Last edited by GeauxTigers; Thu, January 14th, 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old Thu, January 14th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Tiger, well you can leave the shift points and lower the 3rd and 4th gear torque converter points and that will be about it. I'm not sure what your saying about the overdrive though. Is it not wanting to shift into 4th?