Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, January 15th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough
Question about rough running after customizing the tune

I dont know if I just am not doing it right, but when i try to customize a tune I can go input everything, the WOT adjustment, tire size, etc... but when i start my truck after the new program is installed the engine starts, but runs really really rough and then dies. I have tried it twice and each time the same thing happened. As soon as i change it back to stock or to one of Bill's tunes it goes back to normal.
Am I doing something wrong? or is there something wrong with the programmer?
I honestly hope that it is just me so I dont have to bother Bill or Corey too much. anyone know? thanks
and just on a side note, I ordered my Class Ring this week , I dont know how much anyone really knows about that on here, but It is a big deal for a cadet .
Old Fri, January 15th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

You ordered your "crass mass of brass and glass"? How many days to ring weekend?

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Fri, January 15th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Grown-up in training!

well that is the sucker here... they havent announced it, either the 2nd or 3rd weekend in may. spent way too freakin much on it haha! oh and no brass here, we use white gold haha, just a little better than the brass from hudson high
Old Fri, January 15th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

I still remember my ring weekend (many moons ago). I felt like I was finally in the home stretch.

Post some pics when you get it!

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Fri, January 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Grown-up in training!

Of course and I love your quote!
Old Fri, January 15th, 2010, 12:19 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
Of course and I love your quote!
I think the quote's one of the best I've seen in a long time too! Colin Powell seemed a VERY intelligent General.

Back to your problem: Try using the custom options menu again, but this time, DO NOT adjust the WOT fuel (I'm assuming you may have tried resetting that before). In the past, that particular adjustment has caused the symptoms you describe. Leaving it alone seems to make everything fine.

Why this should be, I don't know. But, you probably do not need to change the WOT fuel anyway. Bill has it set so you get enough in any high demand situation. Let us know if this fixes the problem, please.

Now, if it's not that setting, it's probably one of the others. You can try adjusting each of them, one at a time, until you find the one that causes the problem. Then, tell us which one it is.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, April 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Grown-up in training!

so yeah what you said worked, didnt touch the WOT and it works just fine. I have had a few other small issues that worked themselves out, I needed to tow my dad's boat, so i did the 87 tow tune(custom) and when i started the truck it started, but it wouldnt hold an idle, it would rev, then relax, then rev then relax. All i did was make sure it had the right tire size and changed the timing to deal with the better fuel that was and still is in the tank (91 octane). If i remember right the first time i did that the truck died after a few seconds. so i reinstalled the tune with the exact same settings... and it worked fine without any problems!. when i switched it back to the performance tune it did the same thing, so i reinstalled it and it worked fine. any ideas?\
oh and PS the ring dance is set for the weekend of the 21st of may ill be sure to post some pics then!
Old Fri, April 2nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I'm curious, what did you try setting the WOT fuel to when it acted funky?
Also are you going through each menu and changing each setting or are you just changing tunes and using the "Load Previous Settings"?
I would leave the timing alone while towing anything, even if you are using a higher grade fuel. This almost sounds like what my truck did when I took the intake snorkel out of the fender and had a breeze blow over it.

See if it still does that when you use all of the adjusted settings besides timing advancement.
Old Fri, April 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Just some advice on custom tunes.

If they ain't broke don't fix them.

Bill has got them set up to maximize the performance of your truck within safe parameters.

If Bill tells you to adjust something then adjust it but otherwise leave the artist's painting alone.

Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, April 2nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'd leave the timing alone too. The one time I tried advancing the timing, by a mere 0.25 degrees, it caused the idle to wander all over the place.

- Jack