Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, March 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody994x4 View Post
i agree jack i think it can much more easily be made worse. if he were to re-gear to lower, he would loose mpgs correct???
maybe in this case a fair trade off would be to go with 3.73's...but idk if id spend that kind of money to only go a tad lower.

Depends on your driving. You may get better city mileage because stop and go traffic will be easier on the engine and transmission because of the trade for torque. The highway mileage is what will probably suffer.

another good point you made was wind drag. when i went from stock 31's to the 33's i noticed this...i cant look at girls driving down the road as long as i used to cause ill be in the next lane. not much of a big deal but on really windy days it is def. noticable.

also isnt it a fact that things in motion tend to stay in motion? i guess weight rules here. this is one reason i want to get off of my stock steel wheels. w 33's and the steel wheels it is hard on my brakes, esp. when towing

Yep, that is one of Newton's laws. Call me crazy but when I got a set of alloy rims I could have sworn that the truck accelerated a little faster.

still curious as to what the 'ideal' set-up would be for his application...
I'm just making a guesstimate based off of the pegasus gear ratio calculator and some of the common gear ratios I've seen online.
I think a good highway gear would be around a 4.56 and a good city gear would be a little higher.
In blue...
Old Wed, March 10th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Big Burger

Unleashedford is on a distinguished road

woah im gone for 1 day and a lot of conversation goes on lol

but when im at about 70mph my rpm is also at 2000 maybe like 1950 or 1900

and this whole re-gear thing, do i do it from the gryphon settings or do i need to open up the rear differential and chance the gears in there?
Old Wed, March 10th, 2010, 10:36 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleashedford View Post
woah im gone for 1 day and a lot of conversation goes on lol

and this whole re-gear thing, do i do it from the gryphon settingsor do i need to open up the rear differential and chance the gears in there?
Both
or the custom tunes can be set to the new gear.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, March 10th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Forum Predator

Quote:

and this whole re-gear thing, do i do it from the gryphon settings or do i need to open up the rear differential and chance the gears in there?
To regear you have to physically change the axle gears. Then, like 88Racing said, you go into the gryphon settings and put in the new gear ratio so that the pcm will keep the shifts where they need to be. I'm not sure if your gear ratio or something is set right because if your 70 mph rpm sits around 2000 and you have the 3.55 differential then your rolling on 29-30's not 35s. Is your speedometer/odometer accurate? My truck has stock tires (with about 6.5% squish) and 3.55 LS axle.

But if that is what your getting then just leave the physical gears alone. About 2000 rpm @ 70mph is pretty much stock.
Old Thu, March 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Big Burger

i think my speed meter is off my like 5-10mph and im sure i have 35's on my truck lol
Old Thu, March 11th, 2010, 02:09 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

What's the tire size?

Peace!

Old Thu, March 11th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Forum Predator

Quote:
i think my speed meter is off my like 5-10mph and im sure i have 35's on my truck lol
Yup, 5-10 off definitely sounds like you just might be running 35s.

To correct that go to the gryphon and go into the custom options menu next time you reprogram and check your tire size. It is probably somewhere around 2300-2400 mm. If it is try a number around 2800. If you have a GPS go by odometer readings for the most accuracy. (Truck odometer divided by GPS odometer then that multiplied by the current tire size) Dont forget to load the previous settings, even if you havent made any changes. It's a good habit to start.
Old Thu, March 11th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Big Burger

285/55/22 something like that they are 34.86, but shouldnt i just wait until i get my custom tunes from bill?
Old Thu, March 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Forum Predator

You can wait but I figure why drive around until then with the speedometer and odometer messed up when you can fix it now. You can just reprogram the same tune you are on but with the corrected tire size. Having the wrong tire size will also mess up the mileage that the gryphon displays because the truck doesn't realize that it is going faster than it really is. Your shift points and stuff will also be back to where they were meant to be.
Old Thu, March 11th, 2010, 03:41 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

I'm with longshot on this one too.
Doesn't make any sense to leave like that until custom tunes come. You have the tool to correct it so why not just use it?

Peace!